New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im in =] letters are coming late interviewees!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone who has submitted FAFSA receive any updates yet regarding financial aid?

I onlu filled out the FAFSA form...are there any other forms that we need to fill out?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

So, I applied in July and haven't heard anything.
3.85/35 (12,11,12), JD, MBA, superb recommendations, ECs, research, shadowing (MD and DO), etc...
7 MD acceptances and 1 DO so far...but no NYCOM.

My question is, have any other way over-qualified candidates out there also been overlooked?

3.85/35 (12,11,12), JD, MBA, superb recommendations, ECs, research, shadowing (MD and DO), etc...

My question is, have any other way over-qualified candidates out there also been overlooked?

For some reason I cannot find it in my heart to feel bad for you...

Reactions: 7 users

Um... dude... you should just let this one go and move on;)

If it's your first choice, maybe you can write to them?

If it's your first choice, maybe you can write to them?

I think it is too late for even that... I can't be certain but I don't believe they are offering any more interviews at this point. It is always worth a try though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just emailed a letter of intent... has anyone else done this? And if you have did NYIT-COM send a confirmation that it was received? I'm debating sending a hard copy as well. I decided to email it because Gracelikerain recently got a response within 2 weeks of his/her interview which makes me think they are speeding up the process since it is the end of the cycle. I interviewed on the 8th and figure a decision is probably in the works as I type.

Um... dude... you should just let this one go and move on;)

Haha...didn't mean to sound like a douche. Well, actually I did...but directed towards NYCOM, not SDNers.
I just feel like they took my $80 and never looked at my application. I called today and my application has yet to go before the committee, but I was assured interviews are still being offered and will run until end of April.
Seriously? Give me my $80 back and we'll call it a deal NYCOM.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha...didn't mean to sound like a douche. Well, actually I did...but directed towards NYCOM, not SDNers.
I just feel like they took my $80 and never looked at my application. I called today and my application has yet to go before the committee, but I was assured interviews are still being offered and will run until end of April.

That's cool... no hard feelings. I'm surprised to hear they are still offering invites seeing as no one has posted news of any since the end of March. To be honest it makes no sense that they wouldn't have sent your application to the committee yet. I wasn't complete until November and I have already interviewed. There were people at my interview that were complete in February. It sounds to me like they knew you would be accepted at several other schools and that you were extremely unlikely to decide to attend NYIT-COM. Again... let it go:) Many people lose way more in secondary fees and get no acceptances at all.

Why are you so upset about not getting any recognition from a school that you are "way over-qualified" for anyway? Your comments are so arrogant. Try and remember that while you're sitting on 8 acceptances, some applicants are lucky to even have 1 acceptance, while others are still sweating it out on the wait list, or don't have acceptances at all. You had a very successful cycle, enjoy your success but you should work on keeping your arrogance in check before matriculating.

Why are you so upset about not getting any recognition from a school that you are "way over-qualified" for anyway? Your comments are so arrogant. Try and remember that while you're sitting on 8 acceptances, some applicants are lucky to even have 1 acceptance, while others are still sweating it out on the wait list, or don't have acceptances at all. You had a very successful cycle, enjoy your success but you should work on keeping your arrogance in check before matriculating.

Eek. Try to keep your envy in check. I would be confused, too. And remember, people may not say all their (personal) reasons for wanting to enroll in a school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just called and they said interviews aren't being offered anymore.

So that is some contradictory info huh?

Yup, disappointed to say the least. I'm on the alternate list at LECOM and was really hoping to stay instate and close to family. Shocked I didn't get an interview at least.

Yup, disappointed to say the least. I'm on the alternate list at LECOM and was really hoping to stay instate and close to family. Shocked I didn't get an interview at least.

At least you are still in the running somewhere. Keep positive. I made the decision to apply only to local schools just to avoid the situation you are in now so I feel you. Who knows why they didn't interview you... I'm always surprised at who gets invites and who does not. There often doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to the process. It will work out in the end:)

I just emailed a letter of intent... has anyone else done this? And if you have did NYIT-COM send a confirmation that it was received? I'm debating sending a hard copy as well. I decided to email it because Gracelikerain recently got a response within 2 weeks of his/her interview which makes me think they are speeding up the process since it is the end of the cycle. I interviewed on the 8th and figure a decision is probably in the works as I type.

I emailed a letter of intent 2 days after I interviewed and got a confirmation email that same day that they got it and would add it to my file. Was accepted on Saturday- not sure if it helped but certainly did not hurt!

I emailed a letter of intent 2 days after I interviewed and got a confirmation email that same day that they got it and would add it to my file. Was accepted on Saturday- not sure if it helped but certainly did not hurt!

Thanks for that;) Would you mind letting me know when you interviewed and how long it took to hear back?

Hey fellow nycom-ers

I am a recent grad of nycom. Looking to rent out two rooms in our 4 bedroom house. (All rooms rented to nycom students only). I have lived here throughout my entire time at nycom and loved it.

House is beautiful and best of all cheap! With a driveway, basement, fenced backyard, washer and dryer. 10 min drive from school. Located in westbury by mall and restaurants. Private message if interested.

Thanks for that;) Would you mind letting me know when you interviewed and how long it took to hear back?

No problem! I got the invite on 3/24 and since I'm local they offered me an interview on 3/26. Then got my acceptance on 4/12

No problem! I got the invite on 3/24 and since I'm local they offered me an interview on 3/26. Then got my acceptance on 4/12

Thanks. I actually just received a confirmation email. So that settles that. It seems like the wait time to hear back has shortened to two weeks.

Anyone hear from the 4/2 group?

How about 3/19? Has anyone heard back from that group? Should I assume since later interviewees have received their acceptances already that I've been waitlisted?

How about 3/19? Has anyone heard back from that group? Should I assume since later interviewees have received their acceptances already that I've been waitlisted?

I have a theory that they may have stock piled applicants from the last few sets of interviews in order to determine who will get the last few remaining spots and who will get waitlisted. But again... Just a theory... no evidence except that the acceptance pattern has gotten very irregular over the past few weeks.

I havent heard anything yet. Were you in the am or pm group?

PM group. I really enjoyed my interview day and that mock PBL session was a way better use of our group time than another boring financial aid presentation.

Congrats on all the recent acceptances and good luck to those still waiting! Just wanted to ask- has anyone heard back from the school in regards to loans/financial aid?

Congrats on all the recent acceptances and good luck to those still waiting! Just wanted to ask- has anyone heard back from the school in regards to loans/financial aid?
Not yet. I did call them the other week and they said they haven't started with the first year students financial aid yet. They did say that for now I can go and complete all the forms that are listed on their website. Just go to financial aid and then press on "how to get it" and they have step by step instructions and links.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard what the first day of class will be? Trying to plan when I can quit work!

Has anyone heard what the first day of class will be? Trying to plan when I can quit work!

i received a letter from NYIT that orientarion is Aug 4th

Awesome! Thought it might be a few weeks later from looking at last years calendar

does anybody know when wait list movement would usually occur and if there is usually a lot of movement?

does anybody know when wait list movement would usually occur and if there is usually a lot of movement?

Interviews should have ended by now so they might start going through the waitlist soon. Last year, someone was pulled off the list close to orientation

At my interview one of the students told us that there is usually a lot of wait list movement. He was a first year and he had been taken off the wait list in June.

Wow, this is new! If that is the case that means that you guys will be finishing first year earlier, starting second earlier, ending second year earlier, and have more time to study for the boards (if they still allow you to take it up until the end of June that is)--this is a good thing. In the past, classes have always started in the last two weeks of August.

Wow, this is new! If that is the case that means that you guys will be finishing first year earlier, starting second earlier, ending second year earlier, and have more time to study for the boards (if they still allow you to take it up until the end of June that is)--this is a good thing. In the past, classes have always started in the last two weeks of August.

It seems the new dean has proven himself proactive in improving NYCOM's pre-clinical years.

I know it is still a little early but has anyone heard back from the April 8th or 9th interviews?

so i'm guessing the season is over and won't be giving out interviews right? :(

Anyone from 4/1 am group heard anything? Other schools are asking me for deposit but I really like NYIT and I don't want to waste 2k...

Interviewed 4/2, a.m. session.
Acceptance letter dated 4/10.