New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have my interview this Wed (3/26) and I am excited/nervous for the interview. 15-20 min interview sounds really short... but I found this post to be very helpful.

Thank you!

No problem and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Interview invite 20 minutes ago:)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Invite via email. I took the earliest date which was april 2nd. my stats (pm me if curious) are on the lower side and I applied pretty late (complete 11/26). So dont give up people!!

Wait listed today. What do people think the chances are for getting in off wait list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait listed today. What do people think the chances are for getting in off wait list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When did you interview, if you don't mind me asking?

Any Long Islanders have any advice on how the morning commute is on the Long Island Expressway going West. I have a friend about 30-35 miles east of the school which should be about a 40 minute drive without traffic. I was thinking of just heading out by 6-630 am to give me at least 2 hours before the 8:30 morning sessions start. Thoughts?

Any Long Islanders have any advice on how the morning commute is on the Long Island Expressway going West. I have a friend about 30-35 miles east of the school which should be about a 40 minute drive without traffic. I was thinking of just heading out by 6-630 am to give me at least 2 hours before the 8:30 morning sessions start. Thoughts?

I live in Suffolk County, and I will be driving tmw (it also looks like it might be snowing) so for a usual 30-40min drive from my house, and assuming that there is going to be traffic in the morning, I am going to aim 1-1.5hr ride for 9am interview.

I might check google maps with traffic info in the morning. Hopefully that can help?

Reactions: 1 user
Yea that helps thanks! I much rather leave super early then pay for a hotel. I've heard the LIE is notoriously slow in the morning but I figured it's more busy West of the school towards the city. I woke up at 6:45 AM and checked out the traffic cameras for the exits we would be taking since I would just be a little farther right from Suffolk and it didn't seem too bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
accepted today!!!!! couldn't be happier!
II 2/20, interview 3/12, letter dated 3/21
gpa 3.7, science gpa ~3.3 mcat 7/9/11
decent extracurricular activities, no research

best of luck to all of you!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
accepted today!!!!! couldn't be happier!
II 2/20, interview 3/12, letter dated 3/21
gpa 3.7, science gpa ~3.3 mcat 7/9/11
decent extracurricular activities, no research

best of luck to all of you!!!!

Congrats. I also interviewed on 3/12, hoping for the quick turnaround as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Any other March interviewees hear back yet?

Accepted today!!! Interviewed march 4th! Woohooo

Reactions: 4 users
Ok so I'm not to sure what to do here. I completed this secondary way back in July and I believe they changed the questions on it a month or two after. I say this because I remember answering a how did you hear about NYITCOM question and how did you hear about Osteopathic medicine question and now when I look back it's no listed any longer. So my problem is the family/relatives who attended NYITCOM. I listed my sister who graduated from a different school on the secondary, I have no other info on that question just the name and the word sister near it. I'm pretty certain that before it was a just list DO relatives question as I would have not made that mistake or would have filled the rest of that question. I just got a interview invite a week ago. Should I just wait till the interview to see if it's brought up then? Or maybe should I write a note in the add info part of the secondary?

Last edited:
Ok so I'm not to sure what to do here. I completed this secondary way back in July and I believe they changed the questions on it a month or two after. I say this because I remember answering a how did you hear about NYITCOM question and how did you hear about Osteopathic medicine question and now when I look back it's no listed any longer. So my problem is the family/relatives who attended NYITCOM. I listed my sister who graduated from a different school on the secondary, I have no other info on that question just the name and the word sister near it. I'm pretty certain that before it was a just list DO relatives question as I would have not made that mistake or would have filled the rest of that question. I just got a interview invite a week ago. Should I just wait till the interview to see if it's brought up then? Or maybe should I write a note in the add info part of the secondary?

Hmm. I think I would clear that up with the admissions before the interview (maybe call them instead?)? Although I feel like it shouldn't affect your application that much... and I don't think they will retract the interview invite.

I would definitely not call and waste their time With a silly question about them changing questions on their secondary during the app cycle. You dont want to be put into an overly desperate category. Instead mention your ties during your interview without mentioning ur secondary. It will make you sound like a strong candidate geniunely interested in their program.

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking it would be desperate if I called to explain. I just hope during the interview I wont be asked something like "so it says here you have a sister who attended here", it would be awkward but I suppose I can clear it up then. Kind of a odd predicament, Im pretty positive the secondary was changed and I would hate to have to correct the interviewer.

Last edited:
Just called looks like they are still interviewing into mid april for those still wondering...

Reactions: 2 users
Also accepted! Interviewed March 5th :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everybody accepted! Recently waitlisted, anybody know about how many people get taken off? Are my chances good?

If you don't mind me asking, for those recently wait listed, what were your stats?

For those that sent out deposits, did the school send out an email confirmation saying they got it?

Congrats to everybody accepted! Recently waitlisted, anybody know about how many people get taken off? Are my chances good?

I think quite a few people were taken off the list last year

For those that sent out deposits, did the school send out an email confirmation saying they got it?

I got a letter via snail mail. I also called prior and they were able to tell me over the phone.

Reactions: 1 user
I just trying to accept the fact that this cycle is pretty much over for me!!!!!

It is not over until the first day of class....

I just trying to accept the fact that this cycle is pretty much over for me!!!!!

You and me both my friend. It's looking like a third mcat take with an smp will have to be the route

You and me both my friend. It's looking like a third mcat take with an smp will have to be the route

Yup looks like SMP would be my route too...I called nycom today and was told they will be sending ii for one more week...I just dont feel optimistic after waiting this long!!

Yup looks like SMP would be my route too...I called nycom today and was told they will be sending ii for one more week...I just dont feel optimistic after waiting this long!!

Same boat. I wish my 29 would hold up post smp

Funny I have a 29 too actually...I dont think I want to go through the pain of taking the MCAT all over again!!

Ditto, but everywhere I read a 29 with a good smp isn't enough. Just registering for a late July date is giving me anxiety

Ditto, but everywhere I read a 29 with a good smp isn't enough. Just registering for a late July date is giving me anxiety
is late july the earliest date.. I can't believe I have to retake the MCAT the third time..