New York Med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPMo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really, really want to go to Med school in New York. I was born there and want to go back, but im out of state now. Would it be easier and in my benefit to transfer to a NY school before graduation, then apply to med school instead of applying as an out of state med student.

Members don't see this ad.

from my knowledge in-staters have preference over out-of-staters...so if it's an option for you to transfer i would do so...

Hi DD,

I was in a similar situation. I grew up in NY but went to college out of state. I applied this cycle as an OOS to the sunys and a couple of others (non nyc schools). I ended up getting 3 interview invites and acceptances to 2 SUNYs. I think they are pretty understanding of the fact that people go OOS for undergrad and have a desire to come back. I made sure to mention ties to NY and felt like I was on an even playing field with the NY residents.
NY is more lenient with the OOS tag compared to other states. It might not be a bad idea to apply to the state school in your current state and the NY schools. SUNYs give you instate tuition after the 1st year which helps a lot when considering this strategy. This is what I did and I felt like it gave me the best chance at getting in *somewhere*.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think if your parents still live in NY (your permanent address is still in NY) then you can still claim state residency

I really, really want to go to Med school in New York. I was born there and want to go back, but im out of state now. Would it be easier and in my benefit to transfer to a NY school before graduation, then apply to med school instead of applying as an out of state med student.

Where is your driver's license and permanent residence? Where are you registered to vote?

That's your state of residence.

It may surprise you to hear this, but I'd say you're better off keeping your residency in state X, applying as IS there and OOS in NY. Compared to most other states, NY seems to have only a modest preference for IS students, and is relatively OOS friendly. (As a New Yorker, I wish they were a little more IS friendly, but them's the breaks.) The SUNYs aren't that easy to get into even for IS students, so it would be to your advantage to have the school(s) in state X as a backup.

I'm in the process of choosing which schools to apply to for the 2010 cycle. To me, it seems like there are a ton of NY schools that take quite a few OOS applicants.

My state of residence is now Ga. Another reason why NY was so appealling to me is because of the number of schools available. Ga only has a few(4-5).

My state of residence is now Ga. Another reason why NY was so appealling to me is because of the number of schools available. Ga only has a few(4-5).
NY has a lot of private schools (Columbia, Cornell, NYU, etc) that show no preference for ISers. The SUNYs show a slight preference for ISers, but not enough that I think it would be that beneficial to try and change your residency. Just make sure you make it clear in your secondary essays that you have strong ties to NY & are very interested in going back.

Not having an MSAR in front of me, I don't know which schools are in Georgia, but if any of them show a strong preference to in-state students and you wouldn't mind staying there then you should keep your GA residency and apply to NY schools as an OOSer. There are a lot of private schools in NY, so there are a lot of non-NYers who attend school in NY. And as other posters above mentioned, the SUNYs don't display as much in-state preference as many other state schools do. When you fill out your 2ndary applications for the NY schools, play up your ties to the state and a desire to both go to school there and practice in the state once you're done.

My state of residence is now Ga.

Hang onto that for dear life! GA schools are VERY IS-friendly, and there's at least one school (Mercer) that doesn't even take OOS apps. That kind of love is hard to find, so don't throw it away.

Another reason why NY was so appealling to me is because of the number of schools available. Ga only has a few(4-5).

As other posters have mentioned, most of NY's schools are private (8 out of 12), and don't show much if any IS preference. On top of that, all of them except NYMC and Albany tend to attract applicants with very high stats, making it quite tough to get in.

As for the public schools (the SUNYs), there are only 4, 2 in the NYC area and 2 upstate. Compared to GA, NY has many fewer public med school seats per person, and it takes significantly higher stats to get into the state schools.

As for the public schools (the SUNYs), there are only 4, 2 in the NYC area and 2 upstate. Compared to GA, NY has many fewer public med school seats per person, and it takes significantly higher stats to get into the state schools.

also the two schools in the NYC area (downstate and stony brook) have slightly higher stats for accepted students than the other two SUNYs according to the 2010 MSAR....basically A LOT of people want to be in or near NYC

Apply to all NY med schools and I think you'll have decent chance of getting in at least one as OOS if you have slightly above average stats...

Hang onto that for dear life! GA schools are VERY IS-friendly, and there's at least one school (Mercer) that doesn't even take OOS apps. That kind of love is hard to find, so don't throw it away.

As other posters have mentioned, most of NY's schools are private (8 out of 12), and don't show much if any IS preference. On top of that, all of them except NYMC and Albany tend to attract applicants with very high stats, making it quite tough to get in.

These are also schools a lot of people use as "safety schools," but they push 10,000 applications/cycle, so they're still extremely hard to get into.

dear lord! don't leave GA. you do realize that many people only have one state school, and some have none? 4-5 is great.

dear lord! don't leave GA. you do realize that many people only have one state school, and some have none? 4-5 is great.
Well im not sure the exact number but the one I know for sure are:
Mercer (too small)
Emory (Impossible....lol)
Morehouse (possibility since i am black....lol)
MCG ( great back-up)

Well im not sure the exact number but the one I know for sure are:
Mercer (too small)
Emory (Impossible....lol)
Morehouse (possibility since i am black....lol)
MCG ( great back-up)

okay, state school =/= school in that state. "state school" means the state's public university/medical school. they usually care (a lot) if you're IS or OOS. private schools in the state don't usually care where you're a resident. i thought you were saying GA had four STATE schools... apparently there aren't.