New York Methodist IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnsmith130077

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any comments about the Internal Medicine residency program at NY methodist?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Notes from interview day (2015-2016 season):

Overall: Decent program with features of a community setting but also an academic feel in a wonderful location. Some may be turned off by the lack of reputation and history of mostly IMGs--residents mostly came from the Caribbean schools that rotated through there (just joined Match during 2015-2016 season).

PROS:
  • interns carry max of 10 pts on wards
  • M&M is not by the person who had the pt
  • affiliation with New York Pres. (Cornell)
  • geographic rounding
  • competitive salary
  • patients socioeconomically diverse despite affluent neighborhood
  • opportunity to rotate at Memorial Sloan Kettering as PGY-1/PGY-2
  • residents seemed happy

TOSS-UP:
  • fellowships: cards (including interventional and EP), pulm/crit care, GI, heme/onc, geriatrics)
    • supposedly doesn't interfere with residents getting procedures
  • cover up to 100 patients across 2 floors on nights

CONS:
  • 1st year is essentially entirely wards without subspecialty training
  • open ICU
  • mixed private & service teams

Additional Info.:
  • the hospital
    • 650 beds (including 269 general, 6 CCU, 38 tele, 20 MICU/SICU, 30 pulm. step down)
  • EMR: Cerner
  • where people live:
    • Park Slope, South Slope, Gowanus, Kensington, Brooklyn Heights, Lower East Side
  • didactics:
    • morning report (typically given by chief, chairman, or guest attending)
    • journal clubs
    • grand rounds
    • M&M
    • T/Th lectures on a dedicated topic/month
  • schedule on wards
    • day 0630-1700
    • short call 1700-2000
    • night float 2000-0630
    • weekend call 0630-2000

Reactions: 1 users
How competitive is this program?
Roflcopter.gif

Reactions: 1 user
PROS:
  • interns carry max of 10 pts on wards
  • M&M is not by the person who had the pt
  • affiliation with New York Pres. (Cornell)
  • geographic rounding
  • competitive salary
  • patients socioeconomically diverse despite affluent neighborhood
  • opportunity to rotate at Memorial Sloan Kettering as PGY-1/PGY-2
  • residents seemed happy
This is true for every ACGME IM program in the country, as it's an ACGME rule.

NY Methodist, or Brooklyn Methodist Hospital as it's called now, is not a competitive program. It's filled almost exclusively with Caribbean grads.

I did a sub-I there (as a Caribbean student) in 2014, and then interviewed there during the 2015 match season. Here are a couple of my thoughts, maybe things have changed since then.

1) the interns were miserable. As mentioned, they do 10 months of floors (9 at methodist, 1 at MSKCC) intern year. Brutal.

2) they have no ICU exposure intern year because, as the PD told us, "interns don't know enough to work in the ICU."

3) teams were 3 (or 4) interns each with 10 patients, 1 2nd year, and 1 3rd year. Each intern's 10 patients were a mix of "teaching attending" and "private attending" patients. They would each have 2-4 patients that were covered by the "teaching attending" and would round on those patients as a group. The other 6-8 patients would be a mix of "private attendings" (sometimes up to 4 or 5 different attendings) who the interns were responsible for touching base with throughout the day to discuss the patients. These private attendings would often either come in really early or really late, it wasn't uncommon for the residents to never actually see the attendings and only ever talk to them on the phone. Often the private attendings would put orders in on the patients from outside the hospital without letting the interns know.

4) seemed like a toxic environment, with the seniors never helping to write notes, etc. Even on the days that the interns had half-day continuity clinic, they would work on floors 6-12, go to clinic until 5-6, and then come back to finish their notes till whenever. And these were non-call days.

5) hospital is nice and in a cool part of Brooklyn

My experience was enough for the program to fall way down my rank list. Maybe this isn't how it actually is, I was only there for a month and maybe I just had a bad batch of residents. Regardless, despite a strong evaluation, I finished that month with a very sour taste in my mouth...

Reactions: 1 user