New York Schools Housing / Living / Commute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prufrock2891

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
XXX

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
NYC resident here.

For the most part living outside of Manhattan and commuting (would recommend train/buses) is very feasible and easy to do. The farther out you go the cheaper it is, but at the cost of a longer commute. There a lot of neighborhood/pockets that are quiet that you can look into. If you're competitive and think you have a shot at these schools, I would most definitely apply. (my 2c)

Schools like Stony/Hofstra/ NYMC are all located in quieter areas (LI/Valhalla) compared to that of the big four that you might like.

How much time do you want to chew up every day in commuting and how much do you want to spend on transportation and housing?

If you think that you'll drive rather than take public transportation, I highly doubt that the schools that you've listed will have parking for students and if they do have it, it will not be free.

Keep in mind, too, that you will be expected to be in the hospital before dawn when on some rotations and you'll leave after dark. Rush hour in NYC is not for sissies.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much time do you want to chew up every day in commuting and how much do you want to spend on transportation and housing?

If you think that you'll drive rather than take public transportation, I highly doubt that the schools that you've listed will have parking for students and if they do have it, it will not be free.

Keep in mind, too, that you will be expected to be in the hospital before dawn when on some rotations and you'll leave after dark. Rush hour in NYC is not for sissies.
+1 if you get caught in NYC rush hour, just don't go home

Reactions: 1 user
As a fellow applicant, I would say that if it's not a city you would be happy in, then I wouldn't apply. I took schools off my list because I didn't think I could personally live in those areas.

There are so many schools to apply to, there are lots of options! (especially if you are competitive for the schools you listed! :) )

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know where you would be thinking of commuting from (would you be looking to live in Westchester/Long Island, Jersey, or in a borough outside of Manhattan), but like what was mentioned above, driving is a nightmare. If you're looking to take public transportation and you choose to live in Westchester/Long Island or Jersey you will have to take commuter rail/bus and then potentially the subway. As someone who did that commute for years, it can be VERY draining and going off of what gonif said, if you're not able to concentrate on studying while on public transit it's going to make school very difficult. Additionally commuter rail is expensive and runs on a set schedule so you may find you're scheduling your life around when you can catch a train.

Reactions: 1 users