New York Times article on Caribbean medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys do realize that this was a sponsored piece, right? During the peak of the application cycle? This isn't even the first time the NYT has done "Native Advertising"

Jump to about 7:45 for the New York Times part if you want...

Members don't see this ad.

You guys do realize that this was a sponsored piece, right? During the peak of the application cycle? This isn't even the first time the NYT has done "Native Advertising"

Jump to about 7:45 for the New York Times part if you want...

I love john oliver but he didn't mention these articles in specific. Who paid for this then?

From what I've learned lately about the match process, PD shy away from applicants from schools they're unfamiliar with. Hence, MD or DO, none of the people in your list would have an easy time in the programs you mention.

In essence, medical schools serve as feeders to residency programs in the same way that UG schools feed students into medical schools.

@Law2Doc ... Low tier MD (PR schools, Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, etc...) vs. Top DO (TCOM, MSUCOM, CCOM, Ohio etc... )

Assuming that PDs have no prior experience with students at any of these schools, who do you think will be a more competitive applicant for ACGME Derm, Urology, Ortho, Neurosurgery, General surgery, Ophthalmology etc... assuming everything else (grades/class rank/ board scores/ LORs etc) is somewhat similar?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I continue to be amazed at DoctorSynthesis's inability (refusal?) to understand the most simple concepts, and his impressive ability to confuse himself when trying to sort out simple analogies.

The only saving grace is that I know he can't possibly be serious. I'll bet DS is actually an allo student pretending he's pre-DO. Well played.

In essence, medical schools serve as feeders to residency programs in the same way that UG schools feed students into medical schools.

This is where the process is flawed. Because unless you get into a prestigious school from high school it becomes very hard to break in.

I continue to be amazed at DoctorSynthesis's inability (refusal?) to understand the most simple concepts, and his impressive ability to confuse himself when trying to sort out simple analogies.

The only saving grace is that I know he can't possibly be serious. I'll bet DS is actually an allo student pretending he's pre-DO. Well played.

No, I think he's just an intellectually dishonest pre-DO pushing an agenda

Reactions: 1 users
UCLA's IM program has several IMGs. Handful of DOs, too.

Reactions: 1 user
Last edited:
Let's not get carried away. They have exactly one IMG from South Korea (out of 3 residency classes) who has a ton of pubs. A lot of programs take non-Caribbean IMGs because they may be the best of the best in their home countries. No DOs.

http://www.imresidency.med.ucla.edu/residents.html

Probably conflating the other UCLA-affiliated programs like Harbor or Olive View. Common mistake (or for the more skeptical among us - deliberate deception) by the carib programs.

Reactions: 3 users
From what I've learned lately about the match process, PD shy away from applicants from schools they're unfamiliar with. Hence, MD or DO, none of the people in your list would have an easy time in the programs you mention.

Goro do you think hospitals by your school take your students preferentially over schools they don't have a track record with? Even if that other school may be "better."

UCLA's IM program has several IMGs. Handful of DOs, too.

There are many prestigious programs with DOs. Look at match lists.

Usually DO students (MD too for that matter) don't go to a "prestigious" program.

No, I think he's just an intellectually dishonest pre-DO pushing an agenda

Why would I push an agenda? I have no incentitive to do that. I'm posting numbers and giving facts. I gave the numbers for match rates. That can't be disputed. Make what you want out of that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, this year they also took 1 from Drexel, BU, and a couple from Tufts. Mostly top tier and Cali though.

So why is it perfectly OK to make it seem like its doom and gloom for DOs and not for low tier MD?

Everywhere I go I find Asians love Ivy league schools lol

So why is it perfectly OK to make it seem like its doom and gloom for DOs and not for low tier MD?

Because I think there is little difference in education among US MD schools unlike between MD and DO schools. I don't see why there is so much emphasis on one MD school versus another.

Everywhere I go I find Asians love Ivy league schools lol

I think its interesting how certain minorities have work ethic embedded in their cultures and are willing to pay outrageous prices on education. I guess certain values (education) are passed on.

Because I think there is little difference in education among US MD schools unlike between MD and DO schools. I don't see why there is so much emphasis on one MD school versus another.

There clearly is a difference seeing that UCLA only really accepts people from certain school.

Either way the quality of education at DO schools is very high also. If it wasn't then how do DOs take the USLME?

I think they think there is a difference much like how they think there is such a huge difference from DO schools. In reality, they themselves do not want their "reputation" to go down by accepting people from schools lower than themselves. Medicine doesn't change from school to another and allopathic schools need to meet very tough criteria to get accredited. It is much easier to start up osteopathic schools so I can see why there might be some questions, but I still think like most things your education is what you make out of it.

Shocking. One of the best medicine programs in the country in one of the most desirable locations in the country has very competitive residents from top schools. But even in this program there are a few residents from pretty lowly regarded medical schools. And yet...I'd bet dollars to donuts DO apps end up in the recycling bin.

But go ahead and keep telling us how there's no difference...

Shocking. One of the best medicine programs in the country in one of the most desirable locations in the country has very competitive residents from top schools. But even in this program there are a few residents from pretty lowly regarded medical schools. And yet...I'd bet dollars to donuts DO apps end up in the recycling bin.

But go ahead and keep telling us how there's no difference...

Never said there is no difference. But go ahead and make up straw man arguments.

I'm guessing because most people consider Tufts and Drexel to be better than any DO school.

Tufts isn't low tier and Drexel is still plenty good.

I think they think there is a difference much like how they think there is such a huge difference from DO schools. In reality, they themselves do not want their "reputation" to go down by accepting people from schools lower than themselves. Medicine doesn't change from school to another and allopathic schools need to meet very tough criteria to get accredited. It is much easier to start up osteopathic schools so I can see why there might be some questions, but I still think like most things your education is what you make out of it.

Have you ever went to an osteopathic school? I assume not so how can you comment on educational quality? I have talked to osteopathic physicians and they told me that the education they received is just as good as allopathic schools nearby.

When taking to allopathic physicians (like my dad) they seem to agree that DO students receive a good education. So why do you think that this isn't the case?

I usually don't like getting in the middle of these types of SDN threads, but I felt compelled this time.

I'm a Derm resident. I know of multiple (there are probably a lot), Derm programs that don't consider DOs or Caribs. It's not that the PDs are dumb. It's not always just the PD's decision. So insinuating a PD is dumb based on a program's 'policy' is somewhat presumptuous.

I think 3 of our interviewees (total of around 40 or so) had less than a 240 on Step 1 this last year. It's SMART for a program to select allos to interview for spots. It's a numbers game in the truest sense. Hard numbers: matriculation stats. DO is lower than MD. PD's DO NOT...I repeat, the mortal, OMG NO!, cannot let it happen, anything but that... is to have a graduate that fails boards. I'm not saying Derm boards are the toughest (my colleagues who just took it probably beg to differ), but it's a tough exam. A program 'says' to itself..."Hmm, in general MDs have done better on exams than DOs. There must be something that makes them better at taking exams. Well, there are so many stupendous MD apps...more than enough to fill my program. I'll play the numbers and take these stupendous MDs because I'm less worried about them failing boards eventually".

There are DOs that could do very well and rock derm boards. Again though, it's a numbers game. This thread isn't really addressing whether that's right or wrong (sorry, matching is not all perfect rainbows and puppy dog farts...it's just how it is), but the thread is addressing how to approach medical education to maximize outcomes in DO vs MD (despite the fact that the thread started off as a caribbeocentric thread). Whoever provided that original numbers discussion on an increase in a small margin making a big difference is spot on.

DOs intent is to go into primary care instead of things like ROAD? Sure, I can agree with that. Did they decide either of those things (DO/primary care) before they got their 3.3 GPA and rocked their 27 MCAT? Maybe for some...I'd wager a minority. I know of numerous allos who get a lowish Step I score which in turn makes them 'decide' to go into primary care because matching to those types of programs is generally easier. Chicken or egg. I'll just leave it at that.

I respect hard working DOs or anyone else in the healthcare profession. DOs have a tougher time than MDs in almost all respects though. Harder to match into tougher specialties (in general...again, how many of those that have gone through the DO system actually want to do primary care vs a 'sefl-fulfilling prophecy'?), less public acceptance (in general). I agree that the foreign practice thing is kinda a moot point. If a place wants a doctor, they'll take them. A personification of Dr. Nick from the Simpsons could probably practice in many underserved foreign places if he wanted.

Again, not saying it's right, but it is what it is.

Most allos do better than most DOs on exams they have taken (just compare mean matriculation stats). Sure, exams do not alone make a great doctor, but bedside manner doesn't rock step I or pass boards...and again, numbers. Derm bound allos with super stats get invited to interview. Why interview? To try to figure out which of the numerous Allos with super stats have good personalities to boot (a lot of matching can be who you know as well though)...super stats and good personalities? there is a plethora, I can assure you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Wow. Debate over.
What I really love is how, just two sentences ago, he dismisses you because you have not gone to osteopathic school; he's qualified to compare allopathic because he's been to both?

Oh my gosh I will respond more fully later when I have the time but I want to make something clear right now.

In underserved populations were there aren't doctors they won't care what your medical degree is.

You bring up that dos can't do doctors without border thing so much which is just false. You claim dos can't help underserved nations (laughable considering the mission of do)

Here is proof you're wrong.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/faq/does-msf-consider-doctors-osteopathic-medicine

So go away troll. Also just because you have one example of friction doesn't make it so everywhere. Also just because you have a biased uncle doesn't mean you don't have practice rights there.
OH LORD, you need to stop arguing with yourself and patting yourself on the back whenever you prove yourself wrong. I NEVER once said DOs cannot do Doctors without Borders; I said when they do Doctors without Borders, they ironically have borders. So you've proven nothing but pathetically tried to make it look like you showed me something I didn't know. Sorry, I've known DOs can do a "bordered" version of Doctors without Borders all along.

Nice job self-trolling, man.

And I don't know where you are getting your information from, but "underserved" != wild west no law land. You CANNOT do whatever the #### you want because the country is - I don't know what the #### you are thinking - beneath you(?).

I'm glad many have flocked to this thread and broken the illusion that DOs are an equal entity to MDs. Should they be? Probably, but that's not what anyone has been talking about. Are they? No, not even close. @Dral 's post is perfection.

Ok, I've come up with a way to explain why small changes are more important when there are fewer items at stake (ie. few spots available in competitive residencies).

Cancer treatment A
Cancer treatment B

Two study arms, one for A, one for B. Rare cancer, few participants. Let's put statistical significance aside for sake of argument.

In the initial experiment, 2 people get treatment A, one dies, one lives
Both treatment B people live.
Treatment A is only a 50% survival. Treatment B is 100% survival. Big difference. Again, not significant stats-wise, but stay with me here.

Next experiment. 3 people in each arm. 1 survives in A arm, 2 in B arm. A has 33% survival, B has 66%. I still want treatment B by a long shot.

Next, 4 people, 1 survives in A, 2 in B. That's 25% and 50%.

Now 5, that's 20% and 40%.

10 people in each: 10% and 20%.

See how as numbers go up, the percentages of 'success' become seemingly less important because they become 'closer' in low value?

That is applying in the match in Derm vs IM. If two people have a set low chance of matching, but one is twice the chance of the other, the difference in getting a derm spot could turn into a 25% and 50% comparison. With so many IM spots, a small increase in chances may just translate into a 10% and 20% comparison (or even less of a difference).

Not a perfect example since the stats are not in the significant range, but it sorta explains the concept I think.

I mean, even without using numbers, one should be able to conceptually justify this to themselves.

There is a reason why many IM applicants cancel interviews during the season because 'they already have enough', but a derm applicant will spend $5000 and interview at 5 places across the country in one week and not cancel a single precious interview unless it conflicts with another...not that the latter was me or anything. :whistle: It's that small extra chance that you need to bank on...if you don't take it, you'll always be left wondering.

Last edited:
I usually don't like getting in the middle of these types of SDN threads, but I felt compelled this time.

I'm a Derm resident. I know of multiple (there are probably a lot), Derm programs that don't consider DOs or Caribs. It's not that the PDs are dumb. It's not always just the PD's decision. So insinuating a PD is dumb based on a program's 'policy' is somewhat presumptuous.

I think 3 of our interviewees (total of around 40 or so) had less than a 240 on Step 1 this last year. It's SMART for a program to select allos to interview for spots. It's a numbers game in the truest sense. Hard numbers: matriculation stats. DO is lower than MD. PD's DO NOT...I repeat, the mortal, OMG NO!, cannot let it happen, anything but that... is to have a graduate that fails boards. I'm not saying Derm boards are the toughest (my colleagues who just took it probably beg to differ), but it's a tough exam. A program 'says' to itself..."Hmm, in general MDs have done better on exams than DOs. There must be something that makes them better at taking exams. Well, there are so many stupendous MD apps...more than enough to fill my program. I'll play the numbers and take these stupendous MDs because I'm less worried about them failing boards eventually".

There are DOs that could do very well and rock derm boards. Again though, it's a numbers game. This thread isn't really addressing whether that's right or wrong (sorry, matching is not all perfect rainbows and puppy dog farts...it's just how it is), but the thread is addressing how to approach medical education to maximize outcomes in DO vs MD (despite the fact that the thread started off as a caribbeocentric thread). Whoever provided that original numbers discussion on an increase in a small margin making a big difference is spot on.

DOs intent is to go into primary care instead of things like ROAD? Sure, I can agree with that. Did they decide either of those things (DO/primary care) before they got their 3.3 GPA and rocked their 27 MCAT? Maybe for some...I'd wager a minority. I know of numerous allos who get a lowish Step I score which in turn makes them 'decide' to go into primary care because matching to those types of programs is generally easier. Chicken or egg. I'll just leave it at that.

I respect hard working DOs or anyone else in the healthcare profession. DOs have a tougher time than MDs in almost all respects though. Harder to match into tougher specialties (in general...again, how many of those that have gone through the DO system actually want to do primary care vs a 'sefl-fulfilling prophecy'?), less public acceptance (in general). I agree that the foreign practice thing is kinda a moot point. If a place wants a doctor, they'll take them. A personification of Dr. Nick from the Simpsons could probably practice in many underserved foreign places if he wanted.

Again, not saying it's right, but it is what it is.

Most allos do better than most DOs on exams they have taken (just compare mean matriculation stats). Sure, exams do not alone make a great doctor, but bedside manner doesn't rock step I or pass boards...and again, numbers. Derm bound allos with super stats get invited to interview. Why interview? To try to figure out which of the numerous Allos with super stats have good personalities to boot (a lot of matching can be who you know as well though)...super stats and good personalities? there is a plethora, I can assure you.

Do you think all DOs have 3.3 GPAs and 27mcat?

That's funny. There are plenty of high stat people who are going into DO. My stats are good an I'm going DO. I have friends with good stats going DO also. I have spoken to DOs that turned down top tier allopathic schools for DO school.

If someone read what you wrote they would assume it would be impossible to be a DO dermatologist (I actually know 2 BTW.) When in reality there is only a 1 percent increase in shot of getting derm out of allo (look I can play with numbers also).

Its been made clear that it is easier to get certain specialties out of allo. I don't debate that. I debate the notion that the difference in going to an allo school is becoming derm and not becoming derm. It could be the difference but it doesnt hsve to be. Either way its tough allo is just an easier route. But what's life without adversity and rising above challenges?

.7 vs 1.7. Make what you want out of that.

Do you think all DOs have 3.3 GPAs and 27mcat?

That's funny. There are plenty of high stat people who are going into DO. My stats are good an I'm going DO. I have friends with good stats going DO also. I have spoken to DOs that turned down top tier allopathic schools for DO school.

If someone read what you wrote they would assume it would be impossible to be a DO dermatologist (I actually know 2 BTW.) When in reality there is only a 1 percent increase in shot of getting derm out of allo (look I can play with numbers also).

Its been made clear that it is easier to get certain specialties out of allo. I don't debate that. I debate the notion that the difference in going to an allo school is becoming derm and not becoming derm. It could be the difference but it doesnt hsve to be. Either way its tough allo is just an easier route. But what's life without adversity and rising above challenges?

.7 vs 1.7. Make what you want out of that.

No hard feelings but a ton of people already explained that those numbers are misleading. You have about a 65% of getting derm from an allopathic school (although perhaps some don't apply because they don't think they'll be competitive). If you want to look at the numbers your way, you would have to add up the percentages of every competitive specialty (derm, ortho, rad onc, ENT, neurosurgery, ophtho, uro, top tier IM/gen surgery, et al.) and then take a look.

Be that as it may, I find a very hard time believing ... "turned down top tier allopathic schools for DO school." Average matriculation numbers don't lie. Compare Wash U and a DO school (or in fact, any MD school that has already graduated a class and any DO school).

OH LORD, you need to stop arguing with yourself and patting yourself on the back whenever you prove yourself wrong. I NEVER once said DOs cannot do Doctors without Borders; I said when they do Doctors without Borders, they ironically have borders. So you've proven nothing but pathetically tried to make it look like you showed me something I didn't know. Sorry, I've known DOs can do a "bordered" version of Doctors without Borders all along.

Nice job self-trolling, man.

And I don't know where you are getting your information from, but "underserved" != wild west no law land. You CANNOT do whatever the #### you want because the country is - I don't know what the #### you are thinking - beneath you(?).

I'm glad many have flocked to this thread and broken the illusion that DOs are an equal entity to MDs. Should they be? Probably, but that's not what anyone has been talking about. Are they? No, not even close. @Dral 's post is perfection.

So you don't believe DOs are even close to MDs? HahHahahaha. Oh my gosh. I'm sorry that's just funny and I severely doubt anyone will back you on that one.

You are also the one who said carribean is going to be competitive. Haha haha.

And do you think if I was in Africa doing doctors without borders and someone was sick and potentially dying I couldn't help them (as a DO) and would have to resign to the non existent MD. Why would I be able to do doctors without borders in the first place. I already made you back pedal. But if you can't back pedal on the notion that a country would probably let there citizens go without any medical care versus a DOs care then I have no words.

Not to mention by the time I would be ready to do that I would be accredited by the same people who accredited allopaths. So that completely obliterates this DWOB debate.

Last edited:
No hard feelings but a ton of people already explained that those numbers are misleading. You have about a 65% of getting derm from an allopathic school (although perhaps some don't apply because they don't think they'll be competitive). If you want to look at the numbers your way, you would have to add up the percentages of every competitive specialty (derm, ortho, rad onc, ENT, neurosurgery, ophtho, uro, top tier IM/gen surgery, et al.) and then take a look.

Be that as it may, I find a very hard time believing ... "turned down top tier allopathic schools for DO school." Average matriculation numbers don't lie. Compare Wash U and a DO school (or in fact, any MD school that has already graduated a class and any DO school).

Maybe not top tier but a do I shadowed turn down Vanderbilt and went DO. He is now very successful in a very competive field with his do wife who matched well also. People do turn down MD for DO. Not everyone is prestige obsessed.

There is also no point arguing about specialties. The numbers are as clear as day go look at them and make up your own mind. I made up mine.

So you don't believe DOs are even close to MDs? HahHahahaha. Oh my gosh. I'm sorry that's just funny and I severely doubt anyone will back you on that one.
Wow, are you deaf to all the examples this thread has tossed at you? Wow, this is the most delusional response I've seen.

You are also the one who said carribean is going to be competitive. Haha haha.
Competitive to be accepted to, yes. What's your point? The MCATs and GPAs for US and Caribbean have been going up, so not sure what you are laughing at except possibly your own ignorance? Your unwillingness to share your MCAT score shows that you are insecure about your own competitiveness, so don't be so quick to condemn.

And do you think if I was in Africa doing doctors without borders and someone was sick and potentially dying I couldn't help them (as a DO) and would have to resign to the non existent MD. Why would I be able to do doctors without borders in the first place. I already made you back pedal. But if you can't back pedal on the notion that a country would probably let there citizens go without any medical care versus a DOs care then I have no words.
lol, wow, what a ridiculous statement. Are you serious? Why have degrees at all? If it's that bad, everyone should just help everyone without any certification! Your hypotheticals happen in developed countries too. I really recommend that when someone asks you in an interview, "Would you violate medical code of conduct to do something bold like they do on TV?" you do not say yes, because you will be kicked out so fast.

Your delusions are getting worse. You need to ground yourself in science, reasoning, and logic. You aren't making sense anymore, and you're only making up arguments and fighting with yourself.

Maybe not top tier but a do I shadowed turn down Vanderbilt and went DO. He is now very successful in a very competive field with his do wife who matched well also. People do turn down MD for DO. Not everyone is prestige obsessed.

There is also no point arguing about specialties. The numbers are as clear as day go look at them and make up your own mind. I made up mine.

Vandy is considered to be a top tier. No way that actually happened.

Wow, are you deaf to all the examples this thread has tossed at you? Wow, this is the most delusional response I've seen.

Competitive to be accepted to, yes. What's your point? The MCATs and GPAs for US and Caribbean have been going up, so not sure what you are laughing at except possibly your own ignorance? Your unwillingness to share your MCAT score shows that you are insecure about your own competitiveness, so don't be so quick to condemn.

lol, wow, what a ridiculous statement. Are you serious? Why have degrees at all? If it's that bad, everyone should just help everyone without any certification! Your hypotheticals happen in developed countries too. I really recommend that when someone asks you in an interview, "Would you violate medical code of conduct to do something bold like they do on TV?" you do not say yes, because you will be kicked out so fast.

Your delusions are getting worse. You need to ground yourself in science, reasoning, and logic. You aren't making sense anymore, and you're only making up arguments and fighting with yourself.

If they are so unequal how come when I go to a hospital I see MDs and DOs interchangeably? I call them both doctor. They both give me medicine. They have the same role and resonbilites. If they were no where close I would expect an MD to be far different. That's not the case though.

I don't share my MCAT score because I'm not about to start a pissing war on who has a higher score. I scored very well on my MCAT. I'm not insecure in any concievable way. I choose DO out of high school before I even took a class or MCAT.

Carribean isn't competitive. If your willing to pay some schools accept you (no MCAT). Even big 4 schools suck. I talked to an AUC rep that told me they are looking for a 20 MCAT. If that's your idea of competitive then sure.

And yes if I'm so devoid of logic the how come you just basically equated a DO degree to no degree. What I'm saying is that I doubt under devolped countries really care what medical degree you have so long as you have degree especially if it is as high caliber as DO.

Also to really slam in that nail in the coffin look at this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/25n4ch/we_are_doctors_without_bordersmédecins_sans/

In this reddit ama they say no to pa's (due to international licensing issues) and yes to DOs. When asked about practice rights the MSF rep said its fine. But yes let's keep bashing the DOs cause all the cool kids are doing it and I certainly need to be cool.

Last edited:
Vandy is considered to be a top tier. No way that actually happened.

It did I promise you. His father was a DO and he wanted to go DO also and stay closer to home.

To be fair I have also spoke to DO doctors who said they went there because that's where they got in. Which also is true of some allo doctors I'm sure.

I also wanted to add an observation that I find to be generally true.

Most of the the time when I hear DO bashing it is mostly from people who can't get into any medical school. They can't break 20 on the MCAT yet DO is below them. Ha. I have even see people go as far as to tell people that DOs can't write prescriptions.

When I tald to med students who are in allopathic programs they are generally very positive about both and they both find both paths to be great and both MD and DO students have tons of respect for each other.

I also see many uninformed people are pro carribean like @type12 :p

Last edited:
The numbers are as clear as day go look at them and make up your own mind. I made up mine.

Funniest post of the day. If the numbers are clear as day how come you don't seem to understand them or their import. We've given you Olympic, mountain climber and golf analogies to try and dumb the concepts down but you continue to think they are open to multiple interpretations. I agree with a prior poster, its not that you dont understnd, you willfully choose not to understand. That's fine, but let's not pretend "the numbers are clear as day" but allow multiple equally justifiable interpretations. There is one accurate interpretation here and one person who chooses to ignore it. Enough. Good luck with that.

I'm almost starting to feel a little bad for DoctorSynthesis. I mean, it's clear he's intentionally trying to protect his ego by distorting numbers and making up anecdotes which apparently both prove his "points" and defy well-proven statistics. I guess a fair number of people realizing they made a mistake would do the same.

Keep in mind, DS recently stated on this thread:

My point was that I thought everyone was on the same playing field once they got admitted to med school (regardless it is MD or DO)

The only way someone would make this claim is if he was intentionally trolling the boards, or he had somehow gotten lost along the way and accidentally swallowed a lot of the misinformation/garbage that abounds on the pre-DO boards. So, if we give him the benefit of the doubt and pretend he's not a troll, that really only leaves one option: ignorance.

What @southernIM said about intellectual dishonesty is absolutely spot on. This is a textbook ego defense mechanism.

Reactions: 3 users
Funniest post of the day. If the numbers are clear as day how come you don't seem to understand them or their import. We've given you Olympic, mountain climber and golf analogies to try and dumb the concepts down but you continue to think they are open to multiple interpretations. I agree with a prior poster, its not that you dont understnd, you willfully choose not to understand. That's fine, but let's not pretend "the numbers are clear as day" but allow multiple equally justifiable interpretations. There is one accurate interpretation here and one person who chooses to ignore it. Enough. Good luck with that.

.7 vs 1.7. That is all

I'm almost starting to feel a little bad for DoctorSynthesis. I mean, it's clear he's intentionally trying to protect his ego by distorting numbers and making up anecdotes which apparently both prove his "points" and defy well-proven statistics. I guess a fair number of people realizing they made a mistake would do the same.

Keep in mind, DS recently stated on this thread:

The only way someone would make this claim is if he was intentionally trolling the boards, or he had somehow gotten lost along the way and accidentally swallowed a lot of the misinformation/garbage that abounds on the pre-DO boards. So, if we give him the benefit of the doubt and pretend he's not a troll, that really only leaves one option: ignorance.

What @southernIM said about intellectual dishonesty is absolutely spot on. This is a textbook ego defense mechanism.

I love it. You said let's not forget I said something and then you quote someone else. Attention to detail is weak. I guess that's why there are so many straw mans going around?

You are either intentionally quoting the wrong person or you are just trolling. This can only lead to one interpretation: ignorance.

I mean come on. If creating massive straw mans aren't enough you have to quote someone else now pretending its me? Fight me on what I'm actually saying doofus.

.7 vs 1.7. That is all

I love it. You said let's not forget I said something and then you quote someone else. Attention to detail is weak. I guess that's why there are so many straw mans going around?

You are either intentionally quoting the wrong person or you are just trolling. This can only lead to one interpretation: ignorance.

I mean come on. If creating massive straw mans aren't enough you have to quote someone else now pretending its me? Fight me on what I'm actually saying doofus.
wow, with your complete lack of grasp for logic I will be surprised if you make it through med school, much less get in period.

A lot of defense for Carib schools in the NYT comments. A bit sad, since they are giving false hope to future students. Better to reapply or choose another career in than take this risky "second" way. If all the schools you applied to in the US did not take you, what does that say about your ability to become a doc? Not everyone out is cut out for it. Like trying to become a pro NBA player, when you aren't good enough.

Just saying.. There are an exceptionally few basketball players that make it to the NBA after spending time playing overseas because they "weren't good enough" to be make it to the NBA after finishing college.

wow, with your complete lack of grasp for logic I will be surprised if you make it through med school, much less get in period.

I'm already in big guy.

Where is my logical flaw in that post? Is it where I gave a statistic? Or was it when I rediculuced someone for quoting someone else and pretending it was me?

Just saying.. There are an exceptionally few basketball players that make it to the NBA after spending time playing overseas because they "weren't good enough" to be make it to the NBA after finishing college.

That's a horrible anolgy. Never encourage anyone to go there. Gambling 250K is not a good idea.

This is how the debate started and this is why I even got involved in the first place. If people were listening to SOME of you guys they would be taking csrribean acceptances or even worse turning down DO acceptances for carribean. You guys are reckless. Are you trying to bankrupt people? Immoral monsters.

Horrible sentence structure. Did not read.

.7 vs 1.7. That is all.

X vs 2.5X. THAT is all. Give it up -- you just don't get it. Virtually everyone on this thread further along than you in this process is telling you you aren't understanding your own data. You have much to learn and usually when everybody else's interpretation of the facts is different than yours a smart person will take a step back and wonder whether they are the ones who are confused. To some extent your success in medicine will turn on grasping that there is much you don't know or understand. There is no shame in learning. There is in insisting that wrong is right, despite ample evidence to the contrary.

Status
Not open for further replies.