New York University / NYU Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fakin' the funk

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had a real tough time finding anything about NYU here on SDN, which is odd since it is a big program in a popular location. Any prior or current interviewees, or residents, have any thoughts on NYU?

Members don't see this ad.

I've had a real tough time finding anything about NYU here on SDN, which is odd since it is a big program in a popular location. Any prior or current interviewees, or residents, have any thoughts on NYU?

Search for NY programs (columbia, cornell, sinai) as they are often discussed together. I did a month rotation at NYU. Everyone is super-nice, the facilities (esp. at Tisch) are really nice, though they don't have computerized charting right now though they were working on getting it. There's a ton of educational component and the residents really liked it there. Personally, I wasn't sold, but that's just the way I saw the program (just got a vibe). It's def. an up and coming program in the city though and is pretty competitive from what I hear.

Funk -

If you're looking to be in NYC, I'd say you've gotta check this place out. I interviewed there, and was very much impressed. I'm sure that you read the SDN residency reviews - one of them had nothing posted at all (at to whomever that was: thanks a bunch/it was a big help) and the other one was a smidge too harsh, IMHO.

As for what I wroted down about the place:
- 14 res/yr; training in 4 hospitals (Bellvue: NYC "county" hospital w/big ass trauma, lots of autonomy; Tisch: more private, nicer looking; VA: do critical care there, slower paced; HJD: the other major orthopedic hospital in NYC, lots o' regional)
- didactics: daily early AM conferences, one of which you'll see on interview day; then different topics on different days, one conf M afternoon, one T afternoon, one morning one on Thurs. I seem to remember that one is relaxed and the faculty reportedly buys beer and food for the discussion, but you'll have to check me on that one.
- 5 yr accrediation without citation
- opportunity for research scholar, requiring 1.5 yr commitment but gives substantial stipend
- we were told the residents are out daily between 4 pm and 6 pm without fail
- Dr. Blanck is Chair and wasn't there for our interview day; Dr. Wajda is the program director, and I found him to be refreshingly relaxed and down to earth (one residency review was less positive of him).
- Residents seemed happy to me - they actually get you dressed in the nicest bunny suits I've ever been in (I had a snazzy denim-looking set) - and put you in the Bellvue ORs with a resident. The guy I was with was from Texas, and he was very much happy with NYU (which was his first choice, or so he said). They get a great CA3 experience as "team captain" at Bellvue while on call, acting as the junior attending (running board, assigning who goes where, code response/intubation supervisor, etc.); a few other programs seem to have situations like this but this one stood out to me. Exposure to all the trauma you can shake a stick at, transplants of all types, good ICU, good research, good regional.
- Overall, I liked them A LOT. Mein kampf is deciding if I want to be in NYC for four years. I already have my heart set on another program as #1, but, should I decide the city's where it's at for me, NYU will be ranked very high.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, Funk. You got so many friggin interviews, mang.

dc

Members don't see this ad :)
So how come all that great info isn't written up in it's very own SDN Residency Interview Feedback report, BigD? :D

...I know, Gim, I know.

But I'm frustrated with the fact that all these folks take the time to write in about (read: brag about) all their interviews, and then a precious few take time to write a program review. Whatever. I'm pouting because I'm getting snowed in right now, and I was fiending for a steak and bottle of Malbec for dinner tonight...

*I did do like 5 other reviews in the SDN Res Review site, however!

WRITE UP YOUR REVIEWS!

dc

Nice work, guys. I agree - there are tons of interviewees who view this forum and are proud enough to post what interviews they got, but can't quite find the time to post a 100-200 word review. Rough stuff. :rolleyes:

Next issue: there are still a ton of programs not even available on the drop-down menu for the residency review section. Dunno how to get 'em on there. Any thoughts?

"It's a loose seal!" -- Gimlet that avatar always cracks me up.

Next issue: there are still a ton of programs not even available on the drop-down menu for the residency review section. Dunno how to get 'em on there. Any thoughts?

I would think a post requesting the specific additions in the "Site Support & Suggestions" forum would take care of that. Lee is pretty responsive to ideas posted in there.

I have 5 of my 6 completed interviews written up too. Still need to write-up my home program.

I think it would be a good idea to try to get everybody to write a review of their home programs (residents too). That would be an awesome resource. I've been spending a lot of time doing searches trying to find posts from residents about their programs, but am coming up empty for a lot of them.

Nice work, guys. I agree - there are tons of interviewees who view this forum and are proud enough to post what interviews they got, but can't quite find the time to post a 100-200 word review. Rough stuff. :rolleyes:

I for one fall into the above category, and I'm not posting reviews until after I match. Sorry it won't help you out, but hopefully it will help the applicants next year. Call me paranoid, but I just don't think it's that hard to figure out who posted these reviews.

Call me paranoid, but I just don't think it's that hard to figure out who posted these reviews.

Seriously? With all the applicants these programs interview? I find that hard to swallow. It's your prerogative, though. At least next year's applicants will benefit.

I've been posting a few reviews myself and have also wondered why there aren't more program reviews (especially since everyone likes to brag about where they received interviews). I wonder how much of the lack of contribution is due to the belief that these reviews may give someone an "upper hand" so to speak when they go to interview.

how fmg friendly is nyu anesthesia? i assume not very but are there any residents or interviewees that attended foreign schools?

1) darkman: The interview day I was at had the largest number of applicants I've seen on an interview day - maybe 30?, maybe 25?...either way, I'm pretty sure that I didn't see a single FMG, I'm sorry to say.

2) I think AT LEAST writing a review of your home program is a great idea.

3) As far as being "discovered", I would think that quite difficult - you'd have to make that leap that (a) Residency staff sit down and read these things, (b) they take note of the different elements written, and then try to find which of their 100+ applicants wrote the review, and (c) they care. I suppose all of that could be true, but I'm not as worried. That said, I was "out-ed" on my away rotation at CCF - one of the attendings came up to me and said "Hi bigdan" as he walked by me. Either way, please do write the review after the match...

dc

Let me begin by saying that I am a current resident at NYU anesthesia & interviewed at all other programs in the NY area & east coast and decided on NYU for the reasons below:

Typical day begins 7:30am Tisch/Langone & 8am Bellevue, Wed. there is M&M and start is an hour later respectively. Number of hours a week is somewhere around 50-60 with call; now when on ICU your hours are more but never >80/week. I am out by 4:00p & depending if I have pre-op’s I can be finished by 4:30p. Call is typically Q5-7 and progressively increases as you become more senior with more responsibilities & tougher cases.
Conferences: Mon: 4-5p, M&M Tue: 5-6p (by far the longest day), Grand rounds wed 7-8a, PBL conf thur 4:30-5:30p (we refer to it as beer rounds).

Note: We rotate at VA, Bellevue, Tisch & HJD

Call is different depending which hospital you’re at Bellevue or Tisch.

Bellevue call is 6 residents: 1-team captain, 1-senior, 2-juniors, 1-ob, 1-SICU/TRACC, great group of people, dinner picked up by attending on call. You can get trauma’s, emergent, urgent cases from all specialties. This is where you get a good majority of your experience & develop your skills & learn from more experienced people.
Tisch call is 1-Ca-1 & 1- Ca2/Ca3- no frills here, just emergent cases and being up all night is hit or miss. Usually a good amount of pre-op’s to be completed a majority of the time I’ve slept most times.

Residency director: Dr. Wajda is genuinely interested in improving our residency and this is evident throughout the year as we have conferences on feedback and are approached on several topics and how to improve them. He can’t change everything at an instant but in talking to people things are better than they were 5 yrs even 3yrs ago. Probably the most chill pd I met hands down as he’s only a few years removed from residency and can relate with us.

Chair: Dr. Blanck is involved in all facets of our learning but is very hands off, how many people can say that about their program chairs? Where I came from the chair was in everyone’s business. Not so from Dr. Blanck, he’s the master of a finely tuned machine that is heads above others. Well respected in the arena of research & academics, additionally cares about improving the program with what he has to work with.

Residents are a great mesh of people from all paths of life. There is a good amount of singles, married and somewhere in between people. Graduates are highly respected, the NYU name is well known throughout the country, and there is no difficulty of obtaining jobs in either academic or private positions. Half if not more than of the CA -3’s are pursing fellowships (Cardiac, Peds, Pain). In a nutshell residents are honest, genuine, hardworking, & charismatic. You would be hard pressed to find a better group of residents—no cut throat tactics but honest teaching and learning from the top down – esp TC’s & Ca-3’s on call.

Attendings are receptive, friendly and willing to teach if you’re willing to learn. Ca-1’s are teamed up with a mentor for the month of July w/o call. Like any program there are some that are less than spectacular; but even these have something to teach. In my opinion the vast majority of the attending’s are genuinely interested in your well being & furthering your education.

Cardiac: Probably the longest hours but most residents will get very comfortable with B&B cardiac & can opt to do more in there Ca-3 year. Great Cardiac attending’s: Dr. Kanchuger, Schlame, Rabinowitz, Ngai, Morganstern, Jackson, Rim etc. very willing to show you how to become comfortable with cardiac & thoracic cases.

Peds: By far most people’s favorite rotation primarily because of the head of ped’s anesthesia, Dr. Stjepanovic. Others that are pleasure to work and concurrently teach are Castro-Frenzel, Win, Hartmanssgruber & Marable.

Regional: Most programs can’t boast of the regional people that they have, we on the other hand: Dr. Rosenberg, Dr. Popovic, & Dr. Morimoto. Yearly presentations at PGA and ASA in regional have made our regional tops in the east. Only other comparable program would have to be HSS. Mostly U/S guided and a few stimulating cath procedures but most graduating Ca-3’s feel very confident after they finish at HJD with regional that they can perform the procedure in practice. We far and exceed our numbers in regional (acgme requires only 50).

Pain: We have great Pain service with some well respected Pain doc’s with Dr. Gharibo and Dr. Dubois. We complete 2 months of pain (chronic & acute service). Most people either like or completely dislike pain, nonetheless we have pain, not all programs can say they have an anesthesia ACGME accredited pain program with 3 fellows/year.

OB: 10- 12 weeks with 2-3 weeks of nights. This is split b/w Tish & Bellevue. Most people say that by the end of a 1-week at tisch you would have placed 150 epidurals and can almost do them in your sleep. We have great attending’s that are more than willing to teach different techniques to place an epidural (lateral decubitus vs upright), paramedian vs midline etc. All the attending’s that cover OB are doing it because they enjoy it.

ICU: Dr. Roccaforte and other anesthesia & Surgical attending’s are the attending’s when people rotate on TRACC/SICU. Team consists of 3 anesthesia senior residents 3-4 interns who are responsible for ~ 10 patients at Bellevue. A great majority of people enjoy the rotation but not the hours. As most people say the ICU is an extension of what is done by anesthesia in the OR and is great learning for lines, intubations & physiology. This is a closed unit with Anesthesia serving as the primary 'managers of the ICU' & we get all procedures, intubations etc. Call here is q3-4 with post day off.

Didactics are like all other programs hit or miss but improving with people that are interested in our education (M. Lee, Blitz, Cafferata, Espina, Gingrich, Morimoto, Jain, Yeh)gaining more control of what is taught. I still think it’s our responsibility to learn but this is a great way to get spoon fed if this is what you’re looking for.

Atmosphere
Great comaraderie among peers, everyone looks out for the anesthesia team. We have several happy hours organized by residents(1-2/month), 1-2/year by department, golf outings, ‘dinner clubs’ and other activities with residents. Attending’s are very approachable and are a call away from answering questions regarding anything that may be on your mind. Like mentioned before 50-60 hrs per week means you have a life outside & can enjoy NYC.

Conclusion
Like previously mentioned I interviewed throughout and was hard pressed to find a stronger ICU, PAIN, Regional, good quality complex cases throughout your 3 years that will prepare for what ever lies ahead. Most people obtain their numbers 6 months into CA 2 year. Very few programs can boast about any of what I just mentioned while still maintaining hours in the 50-60 range. Only draw back is the lack of housing but it’s not NYU anesthesia’s fault it’s the NYC market; nonetheless you are more than adequately compensated for the lack of housing with higher than most salary. Additionally, once you obtain your NY license you can begin moonlighting internally. At this point I feel I will be ready to handle anything once I'm finished and would chose this program again over many others in the country. Last thing before concluding is that when I interviewed at NYU, people seemed genuinely happy to be here and this by far made the decision for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Joey: When I did my month there, the residents only did the blocks on the regional cases and left the room (at HJD). Is that still the case? Have you guys tried to change that at all? Isn't seeing the case through as important as placing the block?

Big Danny boy -
I'm sure you're as glad as I am that we are killing the other specialties for # of interview reviews -- 2nd place behind Peds! Pat on the back time.

Bleh. If you count 'em (which I did) you notice that there's really only 55 anesthesia programs listed, but each review is counted as a "program" - I mean Mayo has NINE reviews, whereas some pretty prominent programs remain unreviewed or have one review.

But yeah, the number has risen during our interview cycle, which is nice.

Happy new year, bro.

dc

Bleh. If you count 'em (which I did) you notice that there's really only 55 anesthesia programs listed, but each review is counted as a "program" - I mean Mayo has NINE reviews, whereas some pretty prominent programs remain unreviewed or have one review.

But yeah, the number has risen during our interview cycle, which is nice.

Happy new year, bro.

dc

I was meaning to ask Lee to look into that bug that makes it so it doesn't distinguish between the number of "programs" vs. "reviews." He said he was going to fix it so you could write separate paragraphs instead of one block of text, but that hasn't happened yet. On the plus side, it looks like they deleted a bunch of reviews that didn't have any information posted to them.

Hope you all are having a safe and happy New Year!

the ability to write separate paragraphs would be clutch. It's a bit annoying to type various things with separation only to see the final version as one bunched up paragraph. Even adding spaces doesn't fix the problem.

How many candidates does NYU even interview over the course of the season? I don't recall the number of dates they sent out but if its 30 people per day and over AT LEAST 10 days of interviewing, thats close to 300 interviewees. I doubt NYU would need to go through that many to fill their spots.

I was meaning to ask Lee to look into that bug that makes it so it doesn't distinguish between the number of "programs" vs. "reviews." He said he was going to fix it so you could write separate paragraphs instead of one block of text, but that hasn't happened yet. On the plus side, it looks like they deleted a bunch of reviews that didn't have any information posted to them.

Hope you all are having a safe and happy New Year!

The Feedback textboxes are in HTML.
You can add "<p>" for a new paragraph (blank line plus new line), or "<br>" for a new line.
There are all sorts of tags for bold, italics, bullets, etc, if you're so inclined. :thumbup:

The Feedback textboxes are in HTML.
You can add "<p>" for a new paragraph (blank line plus new line), or "<br>" for a new line.
There are all sorts of tags for bold, italics, bullets, etc, if you're so inclined. :thumbup:

Sweet...Thanks for the tip!

Hey guys - just a quick word of thanks to all for putting fingers to keys to really beef up that SDN Residency Review section for anesthesiology. Kudos, and best of luck to all applying this year.

Cheers.

dc

Hey guys,

When you guys got approved to do the NYU away elective, did it come in a small envelope or a big one? Because, my package notice that is in the closed office downstairs of my apartment complex says it is a "large envelope"...I'm just so anxious in knowing.......:eek:

Please let me know!! Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

When you guys got approved to do the NYU away elective, did it come in a small envelope or a big one? Because, my package notice that is in the closed office downstairs of my apartment complex says it is a "large envelope"...I'm just so anxious in knowing.......:eek:

Please let me know!! Thanks!!

Rejections and denials never take more than a single letter. Congrats and have a good time. I did an elective month at NYU back in 2005 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Ranked it high but the location was not optimal for me. Only met one grumpy resident but she was on OB that day. :laugh:

i got it!!! scheduled in jan 2011! :) i'm so excited about this!

any words of advice??

Can any NYU residents explain the call schedule again and frequency? I totally blanked out about asking this when interviewing.