Newly Interested

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewYorkDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im a newly interested student to DPT programmes. Is it a very competitive area to try to get into? I get the "competitive medical schoolish" vibe when reading on here. What sort of GPA is considered good? How about GRE? Do you just take the general test or a subject? If you go to school in one state, may you practice in another? Im sorry if these questions seem silly. Thanks for taking the time to read and answer.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, it's good to see that you're interested in such an amazing field! =) From who and what I know, pre-PT students definitely aren't as competitive as pre-med students. I wouldn't say we're competitive with each other, but we definitely want to do the best we can to make sure we will get the career we want. PT programs aren't hard to get into as long as you get fairly good grades (over 3.0, and I think averages are around 3.4), get experience observing physical therapists, and volunteer or have been involved in clubs/activities to make yourself a well-rounded individual.

You would have to take the general GRE, not a subject. As long as you do one of the practice GRE books (Kaplan, Princeton), it isn't bad. Average scores are about 1100. If you go to school and take the licensure exam in one state, you are licensed in that state. So if you wanted to work in another state, you'd have to take the exam again in that state.

And no, these questions aren't silly! It's good that you want to make sure you know these things. Feel free to post with anymore questions!