PAThbrd

LA Surgery Resident
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
694
3
Massachusetts
Status
Veterinarian
Hey all,
Just wanted to say I got an email from CSU (Colorado) yesterday saying my application was complete and they will mail letters by the end of January. Other than that, havent heard anything. :)
 

verbal_kint

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
146
1
ca
Status
PAThbrd said:
Hey all,
Just wanted to say I got an email from CSU (Colorado) yesterday saying my application was complete and they will mail letters by the end of January. Other than that, havent heard anything. :)

Davis has also sent out emails as well.
 

PAThbrd

LA Surgery Resident
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
694
3
Massachusetts
Status
Veterinarian
I changed the thread name to news from anywhere (as opposed to just CSU :)). I got a "we received your completed app..." email from Tufts today.

Let the waiting continue...
 
About the Ads

HARLEY D.

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2003
27
0
CA
Visit site
Status
Application complete at Davis, interview at Glasgow.
 

HopefulUGACVM

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2005
75
0
Status
I get emails from UGA all the time, and Auburn has been good about making sure I know when they have received transcripts, test scores etc. Tennessee has not notified me that they have received anything.

Unfortunately I won't hear anything "official" from UT or Auburn until Jan-Feb when they send out interview invites.... I won't hear anything from UGA until March since they don't interview.

March is too far away!!!!!!!!
 

loo

Always Sleepy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2002
1,082
23
Where It Is Always Cold
Visit site
Status
Veterinarian
Here goes.

I was rejected by Penn today.

I guess as an out-of-stater with a cum. GPA of 3.5, sci. GPA of 3.2; and GRE scores of 610 (v), 560 (q), and 5.5 (w)...they are not interested.

All I can say is "thank you Penn" for letting me know now instead of later. I am ESPECIALLY relieved to know that I will NOT have to pay over 30 grand for the education you offer!

Your loss, Penn. ;)

Good luck to all and may we all be granted an acceptance this year! :luck:

loo
 

PAThbrd

LA Surgery Resident
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
694
3
Massachusetts
Status
Veterinarian
:( Sorry to hear that. May we all have as upbeat an attitude as you when rejection letters come ;) Where else did you apply?

Good luck all!
 

verbal_kint

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
146
1
ca
Status
How did Penn let you know?

I recently got a postcard from Penn asking me for some further information... not sure what that means exactly.
 

loo

Always Sleepy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2002
1,082
23
Where It Is Always Cold
Visit site
Status
Veterinarian
Sorry. Here's some additional info.

1. Where else did I apply?

Illinois, Tufts, Minnesota, LSU, Virgina Tech (VMRCVM), Ross, and St. George

2. How Did Penn let me know?

A lovely letter, sent via snail mail. I don't remember what the letterhead looked like since it is lining the birdcage at this moment. :D

Thanks for your condolences! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us.
 

loo

Always Sleepy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2002
1,082
23
Where It Is Always Cold
Visit site
Status
Veterinarian
verbal_kint said:
How did Penn let you know?

I recently got a postcard from Penn asking me for some further information... not sure what that means exactly.
It means, "we don't have a supplementary application; and we are too busy to calculate your last 45 hour GPA, etc...why don't you do it?'

I would NOT recommend answering the "Penn alumnus" questions with the following answer:

No, there is no one in my family/no veterinarian that I know who is a Penn alumnus. I'd be happy to rent one if it would increase my chance of admission, though. :rolleyes:

Must not become bitter, must not become bitter....
 

PAThbrd

LA Surgery Resident
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
694
3
Massachusetts
Status
Veterinarian
loo said:
No, there is no one in my family/no veterinarian that I know who is a Penn alumnus. I'd be happy to rent one if it would increase my chance of admission, though. :rolleyes:
rofl!!! :laugh: I would give you a dollar if you actually wrote that!
 

eighannelay

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
25
0
Status
I received an e-mail Nov 3rd saying my app was complete at Western. Minnesota also sent out an update Nov 4th. Auburn has been good about keeping applicants informed on what they have/have not received. I haven't heard anything from UIUC or KSU yet. I am interviewing at OSU next week. Good luck to everyone!
 
About the Ads

loo

Always Sleepy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2002
1,082
23
Where It Is Always Cold
Visit site
Status
Veterinarian
Hmmmm.

Most of the schools I applied to won't be sending out interview invites until late December-early January...

Somebody please explain why the heck vet school application cycles take so frickin' long to complete???? Jeez...med/dent/pod/pharm applicants have already been interviewing and the process is JUST BEGINNING for vet applicants!!!! :thumbdown:

Rant over, thanks for listening.

Congrats, eightannelay on your OSU interview! Good luck :luck:
 

loo

Always Sleepy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2002
1,082
23
Where It Is Always Cold
Visit site
Status
Veterinarian
PAThbrd said:
rofl!!! :laugh: I would give you a dollar if you actually wrote that!
A dollar? Honey, I'm worth more than that!

How much would you give me if I said I would "shag a ugly Penn alumnus if it would increase my chance of admisson?" ;)
 

PAThbrd

LA Surgery Resident
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
694
3
Massachusetts
Status
Veterinarian
loo said:
A dollar? Honey, I'm worth more than that!

How much would you give me if I said I would "shag a ugly Penn alumnus if it would increase my chance of admisson?" ;)
lol I dont know I'd have to think about it :)
 

DVM2b

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2005
49
0
Minnesota
Status
Veterinary Student
I heard from KSU about two weeks ago and I have an interview in January. Tennessee, WSU and Purdue have not acknowledged my application. Has anyone heard anything from these schools?
 

PerfectBrak

Waiting
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2005
17
0
35
Bronx, New York
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I applied to Cornell (in-state), Penn, Colorado, Michigan State, Virginia/Maryland, and RVC. Anyone else apply to Cornell, I feel like I'm the only one here who did.

So far, everyone has notified me about receiving my application/transcript/other materials. Virginia/Maryland promptly rejected me, only took them about a month and a half! They did send a nice letter though.
 

ptang

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2005
14
0
Status
wow this sounds so interesting. making me nervous.....
 

peppermintgal

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2005
29
0
Status
me too.. i am getting nervous.. i have applied to UIUC, Wisconsin and Colorado..

Have not heard anything regarding interviews or anything.. But. they would only be replying in Jan. Still nervous though. :scared:
 

mysterypie

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2005
23
0
Status
Wow, OSU must just do things incredibly early compared to most schools. I received my interview notice mid-November and to me that felt late considering many of my friends were interviewed in mid-October and already knew their status by end of October. I was accepted a week-and-a-half after my interview.

The wait is over for me as I didn't apply anywhere else, but good luck to everyone!
 
About the Ads

ptang

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2005
14
0
Status
mysterypie said:
Wow, OSU must just do things incredibly early compared to most schools. I received my interview notice mid-November and to me that felt late considering many of my friends were interviewed in mid-October and already knew their status by end of October. I was accepted a week-and-a-half after my interview.

The wait is over for me as I didn't apply anywhere else, but good luck to everyone!
holy... u applied to ONE school?!?!??! ur in-state i presume?
 

mysterypie

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2005
23
0
Status
Yes, Ohio is my residence, so OSU is my state school. I guess I just didn't feel the need to apply elsewhere because the statistics for admittance are so much lower.

My stats are 750 q, 580 v, (1330) and 5.0 writing (timed out on one of the essays mid-setence). I have a 3.81 overall GPA and a 3.96 prerequisite GPA (also last 45 quarter hour). I am 25, graduated from a small liberal arts college in Massachusetts in 2003 with a BA in sociology and fine arts. I had taken 0 science class unless you count a science for non-majors genetics course I took just to fulfill latin honors requirements. I did have quite a few extracurriculars including varsity diving for all four years of college and being captain for two years. I also had a lot of other leadership-type experiences like coaching diving lessons and working in a mentorship program for disadvantaged youth.

After college, I took a year off to work full-time in a veterinary hospital to make sure vet med was the right choice for me. I started in the kennel and worked my way to treatment technician after about 4 months. That job was small animal and exotics. I stayed there a year and then in 2004 I moved back to ohio to finish my science prereqs. I also worked as a tech asst. in an emergency hospital that only saw cats and dogs. What else, I interned at a wildlife center and a sports equine hospital and volunteered in one of the labs that is part of the school of veterinary preventative med at OSU. Overall, in two years, I acquired about 2500 hours of experience while going to school. At one point I was working four of those jobs together and taking OChem and Biology. Granted all four together were only about 35 hours a week but it was still crazy rushing from one thing to another.

So the moral of the story is, it is possible to get into vet school and not know you wanted to be a vet from the day you were 5. But it would have been much easier had I decided while I was still an undergraduate.

Again, good luck to all!
 

peppermintgal

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2005
29
0
Status
hi mysterypie,

Thanks for posting your stats.. it's really impressive!

Good Luck in School.
 

PAThbrd

LA Surgery Resident
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
694
3
Massachusetts
Status
Veterinarian
Congrats mysterypie!!! Our first accepted DVM to be of the year :)
 

ptang

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2005
14
0
Status
hey guys,

where is upenn locatedl. philadelphia? west/east?
 

HopefulUGACVM

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2005
75
0
Status
Congrats mystery pie!!! You will love OSU!! I have a friend that is a 3rd Year and she loves OSU.

Aside from my experience, extracurriculars and research work my stats suck. Especially compared to yours! Just graduated with a 3.36 and a 3.61 science gpa. Last 45... 3.36. Consistent at least. My general GRE is an 1100 with a 5v. Biology GRE is 750 (for UGA... which is good, avg last year was about 600)

I feel like if I get in this year it will be a miracle, but I have pretty much accepted the fact that I am probably applying again next year. Not to be all doom and gloom, but just being realistic here. It is tough to get in with great stats and most of mine are just average.

One day right? :D
 

PAThbrd

LA Surgery Resident
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
694
3
Massachusetts
Status
Veterinarian
ptang said:
hey guys,

where is upenn locatedl. philadelphia? west/east?
west philly. 38th and spruce streets i believe...
 

nutellagirl

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2005
30
0
New York City
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi everyone. I'm (a post-bacc 32 year old former journalist) writing from New York City- have been reading these threads for the past few weeks and figured I'd post. Well... Davis has sent replies to out-of-staters. At least this one. Rejection. :thumbdown: Thin letter. Fun. I know, it's to be expected - I'm applying as an out-of-stater (although I was born and raised there through junior high). Still, the "We regret to inform you that you will not be a member of our incoming Fall 2006 class" bit smarts. Cornell is my top choice, and according to their admissions office, they're aiming to tell in-staters on Christmas. I know, sounds weird. But I have called about three times to verify that. The first week of January, definitely.
Good luck to everyone- I really did not anticipate the anguish of this protracted waiting game.
-Elisabetta Coletti
 

Dafuzzy

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2005
10
0
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Exciting! Do you know how they will contact us by any chance? I have vacation for the next couple of weeks, so if they are only doing it by mail, then I'll be missing it! That would suck! Will they have it on the Cornell tracking page by any chance?

nutellagirl said:
Cornell is my top choice, and according to their admissions office, they're aiming to tell in-staters on Christmas. I know, sounds weird. But I have called about three times to verify that. The first week of January, definitely.
-Elisabetta Coletti
 

PerfectBrak

Waiting
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2005
17
0
35
Bronx, New York
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Dafuzzy said:
Exciting! Do you know how they will contact us by any chance? I have vacation for the next couple of weeks, so if they are only doing it by mail, then I'll be missing it! That would suck! Will they have it on the Cornell tracking page by any chance?
A friend of mine goes to Cornell now. When she was accepted, they actually called her a few day before Christmas. She also went to Cornell for undergrad and applied to Vet School when she was a junior, so I dont know if all accepted students get a phone call.
 
About the Ads

nutellagirl

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2005
30
0
New York City
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
PerfectBrak said:
A friend of mine goes to Cornell now. When she was accepted, they actually called her a few day before Christmas. She also went to Cornell for undergrad and applied to Vet School when she was a junior, so I dont know if all accepted students get a phone call.

The admissions office says they'll call. I hope they call only with acceptances though :scared: I think it is also going to be on the tracking page too. This waiting is almost more than I can stomach.
 

PerfectBrak

Waiting
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2005
17
0
35
Bronx, New York
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
nutellagirl said:
The admissions office says they'll call. I hope they call only with acceptances though :scared: I think it is also going to be on the tracking page too. This waiting is almost more than I can stomach.
I highly doubt they'll call for rejections.
 

AbbeyRoad

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2005
43
0
Status
Hi everybody;

I'm new here, I was just wondering if anyone knows how Penn, Iowa or Mississippi State will notify the applicants of whether they are rejected or got an interview (I know Iowa does not interview). I heard others say that Penn will let you know around this time whether or not you got an interview (a few of my friends were already rejected, sadly) but I am worried that they would send a letter letting me know either way to my college address, and I am at my home address now for the holidays. Thanks, all, for your insight, and good luck! :)
 

eighannelay

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
25
0
Status
I found out today that I have been accepted to Ohio State CVM as well. I had an interview last week. It looks like we will be classmates, mysterypie.
 

HopefulUGACVM

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2005
75
0
Status
Congrats to you too eighannelay!!! Y'all are so lucky to know so quick. I won't know until April!!!
 

nutellagirl

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2005
30
0
New York City
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I was accepted at the Royal School of Veterinary Studies in Edinburgh, Scotland yesterday. It is very far, and my husband won't be able to leave New York for my first year at least, so that is someowhat of a pyrrhic victory. However, it is AVMA accredited and the 4 year accelerated program for US students with bachelor's degrees and post-bacc pre-med coursework completed, so you essentially skip the 1st year of the standard 5-year program.
 

mysterypie

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2005
23
0
Status
eighannelay said:
I found out today that I have been accepted to Ohio State CVM as well. I had an interview last week. It looks like we will be classmates, mysterypie.
Oh Yeah for new classmates! Are you from Ohio Leighann?
 

loo

Always Sleepy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2002
1,082
23
Where It Is Always Cold
Visit site
Status
Veterinarian
nutellagirl said:
I was accepted at the Royal School of Veterinary Studies in Edinburgh, Scotland yesterday. It is very far, and my husband won't be able to leave New York for my first year at least, so that is someowhat of a pyrrhic victory. However, it is AVMA accredited and the 4 year accelerated program for US students with bachelor's degrees and post-bacc pre-med coursework completed, so you essentially skip the 1st year of the standard 5-year program.
Congratulations! :) I *hear* it's even harder to get into foreign AVMA-accredited schools. Well done!

I hope you get THE phone call from Cornell! :luck:

loo
 

skibum

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2000
42
0
Denver, CO USA
Visit site
Status
Hey Nutellagirl,
I too got the UCDavis rejection letter a couple of days ago. Congrats on Edinburgh! My fingers are still crossed for you for Cornell. Let us know when you hear.

AbbeyRoad, I do know that Iowa State sends out acceptances pretty late (End of Jan-Mid Feb) and they let you know by standard mail. The other two I don't know about however.

Congrats to those of you accepted and good luck to those waiting to hear. This is my third time going through the process, so I feel everyone's pain. The waiting sucks, especially when it ends in a rejection, but we all survive. :D
 

mokadet

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2005
105
0
Charlottesville, VA
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
DVM2b said:
I heard from KSU about two weeks ago and I have an interview in January. Tennessee, WSU and Purdue have not acknowledged my application. Has anyone heard anything from these schools?
I haven't heard anything from Purdue either (not even an email!) but I have recieved at least emails from: Virginia, Tufts, Colorado, Kansas, Auburn and Wisconsin.
 

HopefulUGACVM

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2005
75
0
Status
Tenessee has not acknowledge my application either.

Again, congrats all around!
 

nutellagirl

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2005
30
0
New York City
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
skibum said:
Hey Nutellagirl,
I too got the UCDavis rejection letter a couple of days ago. Congrats on Edinburgh! My fingers are still crossed for you for Cornell. Let us know when you hear.
Thank you!!!!!!! I actually called Cornell today and asked the (very patient) receptionist if not getting a call tomorrow essentially meant I was not accepted. She thankfully said no. STILL.....!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got hosed by Virginia Tech too.
I haven't heard a thing from Tennessee either.
Ditto from Washington State until today when I got an email saying that I was missing like 7 pre-reqs :smuggrin: including Intro Bio and all my orgo classes. Where do they get this crud? All I am missing is stats - it's right there on my very expensive VMCAS application!
 

traxomatic

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2004
70
0
Status
I just received a letter in the mail today letting me know I have an interview on January 20th at UPenn! I'm a PA (Philadelphia) resident. Anyone else heard?

--Tracy
 

nutellagirl

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2005
30
0
New York City
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
traxomatic said:
I just received a letter in the mail today letting me know I have an interview on January 20th at UPenn! I'm a PA (Philadelphia) resident. Anyone else heard?

--Tracy
CONGRATULATIONS TRACY!!!!!
What a great Christmas gift!
Elisabetta
 

PAThbrd

LA Surgery Resident
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
694
3
Massachusetts
Status
Veterinarian
traxomatic said:
I just received a letter in the mail today letting me know I have an interview on January 20th at UPenn! I'm a PA (Philadelphia) resident. Anyone else heard?

--Tracy
Congrats :) Im curious as to whether they mailed the letter to your school or permanent address as everyone is on break... I think I just responded to your about.com post too :)
 

AbbeyRoad

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2005
43
0
Status
PAThbrd said:
Congrats :) Im curious as to whether they mailed the letter to your school or permanent address as everyone is on break... I think I just responded to your about.com post too :)
I was wondering the same thing; so I called Penn this morning, and was told that interview letters are being sent to both college and permanent addresses. They have not scheduled all of February or March yet, they said, so don't be concerned if you do not get an invitation to interview this week or next week. They will be sending out the interview invitations 2-3 weeks in advance of the interview date, so technically we could have to wait as late as February to even hear from Penn...
 

PAThbrd

LA Surgery Resident
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
694
3
Massachusetts
Status
Veterinarian
AbbeyRoad said:
I was wondering the same thing; so I called Penn this morning, and was told that interview letters are being sent to both college and permanent addresses.
So we should receive two letters then? One at school and one at home if Im reading that right... Thanks for the info!

Good luck all.
 
About the Ads