News from anywhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a feeling that a lot of us will be hearing from schools next week...here's a load of good luck to any of us who hasn't heard anything yet!
:luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Crap--duplicate post. Please ignore. :rolleyes:

Well, I have another rejection from Minnesota. Looks like I missed their academic cutoffs by 0.03 of a point.

Oh well. I would have liked to attend. Then again---cold winters are too much for my southernized blood.

How ya holdin' up mountain man?

Members don't see this ad :)
I came back from vacation yesterday to find I was rejected from Cornell. Hehe, what a way to bring me back to the real world after a relaxing week! I'm actually not that dissapointed, I'll wait to hear from other schools and if I'm unlucky with those as well, I'll just try again next year.

Congratulations/condolences to all!

Well, I got an interview invite to Univ of MN today. It was dated 1/10 and postmarked 1/12. Sorry they didnt show you love, loo. This is such a crapshoot, isn't it?!?!

Has anyone received a UIUC invite yet?

Hi people! Sorry to hear about those rejections, I have 3/11 myself. I did not hear anything from Minnesota yet, but perhaps a rejection is on the way. You just got yours first Loo, so you must be one state closer than me, or maybe your at the top of the alphabet "who knows". I'm sure I will have one by next week. You are also waiting on Tufts too, is that correct? Do you know if anyone was rejected from there yet? :luck: have some!

I too was rejected from MN today. Evidently I met their academic standards, but not their "subjective" (animal experience, essays, etc). I did receive an interview to Tufts. It's going to kill my Valentine's Day, but at least it's something.

Hey Joslin, don't mind Minnesota because thats great news for Tufts! Good luck to you! :luck:

Mountain man :)

I forgot to ask you eighannelay, are you a Minnesota resident?

mountain man said:
I forgot to ask you eighannelay, are you a Minnesota resident?

No, I am an out of stater (from Ohio). Are you in MN? Hope you get some good news from them soon!

I already got in to OSU CVM so i am probably not going to interview at MN... i will have to ponder on it for a few days.......

Thats great news eighannelay. I also applied to Ohio and I did not even know they were doing anything yet. I am a PA applicant. Well, after reading some of these posts I have mixed feelings about what I will get. I will keep my fingers crossed. Good luck to you with everything! :)

mountain man said:
Thats great news eighannelay. I also applied to Ohio and I did not even know they were doing anything yet. I am a PA applicant. Well, after reading some of these posts I have mixed feelings about what I will get. I will keep my fingers crossed. Good luck to you with everything! :)

OSU started interviewing in state applicants immediately after there September 30th deadline. I knew someone who was interviewed and accepted by mid october. Anyway, I think they have finished most of their in state interviews by now and are moving on to out of state interviews January, February.

OSU accepts as the interview. Many people I know were told they were accepted at the end of their interview. I was notifed in a letter about 1.5 weeks after my late November interview. I don't know quite how it works for out-of-staters but you should be getting interview invites to OSU soon but you may not hear anything until as late at March.

Hope that helps! Leighann...are you defiantely going to OSU?

Hi Joslin- I'm in the same boat as you. Rejected from MN today with good academic standards but not the "subjective." Also interviewing at Tufts on Valentine's Day. Tuft's is my top choice and the skinny envelope nearly killed me. See you there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just checked the mailbox today, and had gotten interview requests from both Tufts and U of Minnesota, so both schools have started tapping into the out-of-staters. Tufts has me for Valentines Day, and Minnesota said they have non-resident interview beginning the week of Feb 10-11. I might go check out Tufts just because it was my top choice when applying, but since I'm already accepted to one place, I doubt I will be going to Minnesota, so hopefully someone on this list will make good use of the that spot! Also, got my rejection letters from Virginia-Maryland on 1/2 and UC Davis on 1/9.

Still, am pretty excited that I got interviews at other places as well, as this means my one acceptance wasn't a fluke! Also add to the fact that I previously applied to human medical schools 2 times, and have a HUGE collection of rejection letters, and only one interview+waitlist, to be so welcomed by the veterinary community just means that this was indeed what I was destined to do with my life, even if it did take me 6 years to figure it out.... :love:

Joslin, Holden, and others who recently got interviews at Tufts: did you just get the letter today (Saturday)? And what state or region (if you don't want to be more specific) do you live in?

meyao said:
Joslin, Holden, and others who recently got interviews at Tufts: did you just get the letter today (Saturday)? And what state or region (if you don't want to be more specific) do you live in? I'm on the West Coast and expect that mail will take longer to get out here. (I have to keep telling myself this to keep from going crazy!!!)

I just checked my mail ten minutes ago, and all I got were some bills and Netflix DVDs!

Got the letter today (Sat), and I live in NYC, so give it another day or so? Don't worry!

Thanks!

And by the way, congratulations on Cornell!

Weren't you previously a premed student? What inspired you to switch over from people to animals?

It's REALLY NICE to see folks getting interviews! I'm pulling for all of us who haven't gotten any love yet---you know who you are ;)

Yup, mountain man--I'm lookin' for love at Tufts, but apparently I've been lookin' in the wrong places....I feel like the last kid left after all the all the others have been picked for the team.

OK, pity party over.

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

In-state OSU acceptees,

When did you guys submit your application? I assume by your early interviews that you probably sent stuff in fairly early, but if you could give me some sense of when that would be most helpful.

Thanks!
Jen

mysterypie said:
OSU started interviewing in state applicants immediately after there September 30th deadline. I knew someone who was interviewed and accepted by mid october. Anyway, I think they have finished most of their in state interviews by now and are moving on to out of state interviews January, February.

OSU accepts as the interview. Many people I know were told they were accepted at the end of their interview. I was notifed in a letter about 1.5 weeks after my late November interview. I don't know quite how it works for out-of-staters but you should be getting interview invites to OSU soon but you may not hear anything until as late at March.

Hope that helps! Leighann...are you defiantely going to OSU?

mysterypie said:
Leighann...are you defiantely going to OSU?

Yes, I think I am. It is hard to turn down interviews after dropping so much money into applications, though :( But i can't complain!

Do you know many other acceptees? I only know one other in-stater and he is still awaiting a response post interview.

JIKJen124 said:
In-state OSU acceptees,

When did you guys submit your application? I assume by your early interviews that you probably sent stuff in fairly early, but if you could give me some sense of when that would be most helpful.

Thanks!
Jen

Hi Jen,
I submitted my application on September 30. On the application tracking page it said my app was under academic review for the 1st 2 or 3 weeks. After that it said it was sent to the adcom for evaluation, and I got my interview invite in the mail 12/1. I interviewed 2 weeks later and then was accepted a week and a day after that by telephone. Hope that helps. Are you waiting to hear from them? Are you in state or out of state?

Thanks for sharing:) I'm in-state (Cincinnati) and I'll be applying this summer. As I'm in-state and likely to end up doing equine, it's my very strong first choice. I'm actually planning on moving to Columbus for my application year, as I'm slogging through Organic 2, genetics, and microbio, while living with my folks and saving money.

Congrats again on your acceptance!

eighannelay said:
Hi Jen,
I submitted my application on September 30. On the application tracking page it said my app was under academic review for the 1st 2 or 3 weeks. After that it said it was sent to the adcom for evaluation, and I got my interview invite in the mail 12/1. I interviewed 2 weeks later and then was accepted a week and a day after that by telephone. Hope that helps. Are you waiting to hear from them? Are you in state or out of state?

meyao said:
Thanks!

And by the way, congratulations on Cornell!

Weren't you previously a premed student? What inspired you to switch over from people to animals?

Thanks Meyao! I've been interested in vet med from a very young age, but I actually was kinda 'scared' out of pursuing animal medicine because everyone told me how much harder it was, and that I would have no chance in hell given my crappy GPA, and not so hot animal experiences.(yeah, I have a greaaaaatttt support system...lol). I tried settling for medicine, but the thing of it is, lifelong dream can't exactly be quieted, and I finally decided to give it a go! (Now I just have to make sure I don't flunk out... :p )

I just heard yesterday (1-14) that I got an interview at Minnesota. At this point I don't know if I'm more nervous about the actual interview or the weather...

Still waiting from OSU, Penn, Davis, and MI about interviews, and a yes or no from KS, CO, and WI.

By the way, for anyone who applied to KS--they accept about 80-90% of their interviewees, so if you've been interviewed, you have more than a good chance!

Good for you, Lulu. I'm glad you returned to your true love, so to speak.

By the way, after hearing about all the East Coasters who heard from Tufts yesterday, I was getting all set to stalk to mailman tomorrow.

And then I get on the phone with my dad, who asked me: "Do you get the day off tomorrow?" Me: "Why?" Dad: "It's a holiday!"

Remember those Peanuts cartoons when someone yells "AAAAARGH!!!"? :)

meyao said:
Good for you, Lulu. I'm glad you returned to your true love, so to speak.

By the way, after hearing about all the East Coasters who heard from Tufts yesterday, I was getting all set to stalk to mailman tomorrow.

And then I get on the phone with my dad, who asked me: "Do you get the day off tomorrow?" Me: "Why?" Dad: "It's a holiday!"

Remember those Peanuts cartoons when someone yells "AAAAARGH!!!"? :)

Thank you Meyao! And don't worry - the mail will come soon enough, and bearing good news, I'm sure!

Well Loo, I'm still looking for love too at Florida, Tennessee, Ohio, Penn, Tufts, Minnesota, LSU, and Guelph. I read your post about the last to be picked, but cheer up! :) We're in this together! I wanted to ask you before about where you interviewed for the island schools. Did you do it in the US, or did you go there? Here is some extra luck for the both of us! :luck: X (100000000000000000000000).

sorry about that, thats better

Congrats on everyone's acceptances. For those of you whose news wasn't as good, hang in there, your time will come. Take it from someone who is on their third attempt! As for me I got the interview invite from Minnesota, and I am 15th on the alternate list at NCState.

For those of you waiting to hear from Iowa State, I applied there 2 years ago and didn't hear until mid-February. As for CSU, I remember out-of-state applicants were starting to get rejected or accepted before I had heard anything about an interview (I live in CO), which I thought was weird. But I guess since they have a set number of seats for out of state/WICHE, they can treat us like 2 different applicant pools. I heard from CSU mid-late January.

Doesn't it make it all seem so real now? We turned our apps in so long ago, and we are finally beginning to hear.

mountain man said:
Well Loo, I'm still looking for love too at Florida, Tennessee, Ohio, Penn, Tufts, Minnesota, LSU, and Guelph. I read your post about the last to be picked, but cheer up! :) We're in this together! I wanted to ask you before about where you interviewed for the island schools. Did you do it in the US, or did you go there? Here is some extra luck for the both of us! :luck: X (100000000000000000000000).
sorry about that, thats better
Thanks, bud! I could use a lotta luck at this point! :rolleyes:

As for Ross and SGU, here's the skinny. For both, you fill out the application, wait for review, then interview if selected. You can interview at either island (Ross-St. Kitts; SGU-Grenada), but most people do not choose this option. SGU has you interview with an SGU alumnus/regional representative *closest* to your geographic location. Same with Ross. I was interviewed by a Penn graduate (volunteered to be an interviewer because she was impressed with the education 2 of her former techs got there) in Virginia. I had to travel to NJ to interview with Ross. Feel free to PM me if you want particulars. I'm pulling for you too, man! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

skibum said:
Congrats on everyone's acceptances. For those of you whose news wasn't as good, hang in there, your time will come. Take it from someone who is on their third attempt! As for me I got the interview invite from Minnesota, and I am 15th on the alternate list at NCState.

Yay! They say, third time's a charm, right? Does NC state usually go through their waitlist?

Let's hope so loo! In NC State's letter, they said they went through their entire alternate list of 35 last year. But as I've learned, every year is different and can be so random, so I'm not putting too much stock into that. I'll just sit here and cross my fingers!

Received an interview invite from Tufts today. Letter was dated 1/12. My interview is scheduled for 2/14, yeah Valentine's day. :)

Best of luck all!

Just got home to check the mail and I too will be spending my Valentine's Day at Tufts!! Pretty exciting, but also strange that EVERYONE that posts here has their interview on the same day.

Congrats to everyone! And those of you that haven't had happy news, hang in there. I was there last year, you've just got to have a little faith and keep working hard!

I also got a Tufts interview invite... for 2/13. Anyone know what percentage of people they interview are accepted? Or how soon they tell you after the interview?

katemez said:
I also got a Tufts interview invite... for 2/13. Anyone know what percentage of people they interview are accepted? Or how soon they tell you after the interview?

I said the interview would ruin my Valentine's Day, but that's b/c it's on the 15th and it's a long drive. Actually, I'm one of the last to interview, hope that doesn't mean anything. I think I was in a similar spot last year.

I got an invitation to interview Feb. 17th at Purdue in the mail today. Does anyone know how many they interview and what percentage is accepted? I hope it doesn't conflict with my interview at Minnesota since they have not sent me my interview date.

I GOT INTO COLORADO!!!! I just got the letter today, 1-17. It's dated 1-13. I'm shaking I'm so happy!!!! Hope everyone else who applied hears good news!!

chickenboo said:
I GOT INTO COLORADO!!!! I just got the letter today, 1-17. It's dated 1-13. I'm shaking I'm so happy!!!! Hope everyone else who applied hears good news!!

CONGRATS! Thats awesome, CSU is a great school... I'm really going to have to stalk the mailman now!

Joslin said:
I said the interview would ruin my Valentine's Day, but that's b/c it's on the 15th and it's a long drive. Actually, I'm one of the last to interview, hope that doesn't mean anything. I think I was in a similar spot last year.

Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum, but I just got an interview at Tufts, and it's on the 9th. I am actually a grad student there now, and to answer your questions, they interview 240 people and they offer spots to 120 of those. From this point on it's a numbers game for them. Everyone is already ranked with a score and then everyone is given an interview score and that is worked into your score. They then meet as a comittee and talk over every applicant and make their decision.
Hope this helps and best of luck to all of you!
PS, I already got rejected from Purdue and Cornell, and I'm waiting to hear from Penn, Wisconsin and Colorado.

Last year the interviews at Tufts were later (mine was Feb 28th) so it is hard to judge when their invitations will go out. I obviously didn't get in last year and my letter did not come until mid-March, perhaps, happy news comes sooner?

As far as numbers I know last year they got 540 out of state applicants (out of ~700 total which is about the same as this year) and they interview 150 (pretty sure this is right, 50 on each day). I'm basing this on the conversation I had with an admissions counselor after I was not accepted last year.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

legs1011 said:
Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum, but I just got an interview at Tufts, and it's on the 9th. I am actually a grad student there now, and to answer your questions, they interview 240 people and they offer spots to 120 of those. From this point on it's a numbers game for them. Everyone is already ranked with a score and then everyone is given an interview score and that is worked into your score. They then meet as a comittee and talk over every applicant and make their decision.
Hope this helps and best of luck to all of you!
PS, I already got rejected from Purdue and Cornell, and I'm waiting to hear from Penn, Wisconsin and Colorado.

Tufts only accepts 80 actually. At least 40 seats go to MA residents, and contract seats are not reserved. So for NJ residents, if they happen to take 4 NJ students, they can use the contracts, but they don't have to offer any if they don't feel NJ students are qualified. It varies for schools. I only found that out after I applied last year. There's a chart on it somewhere as to which are reserved and which are optional. Just some extra info for you.

chickenboo said:

Congratulations! What a great way to start off the week (yesterday doesn't count b/c it was a HOLIDAY -- i.e. NO MAIL! :)

Was it a thin letter or a thick packet? Normal mail or Priority?

meyao said:
Congratulations! What a great way to start off the week (yesterday doesn't count b/c it was a HOLIDAY -- i.e. NO MAIL! :)

Was it a thin letter or a thick packet? Normal mail or Priority?

Thank you...I still can't believe it.

It was a fairly thick packet--they included a form and some financial aid info. (that's actually the first thing I saw when I opened the envelope) with the letter. It was sent by normal mail. Hope that helps, and best of luck to you!

Congrats, chickenboo!!!

Time to party... :hardy: :hardy: :hardy: :hardy: :hardy: :hardy: :hardy: :hardy:

chickenboo said:

Congrats, chickenboo....would you mind sharing your stats?

Anyone heard anything from Auburn or UGA or know anything about their timelines??

chickenboo said:

I can't tell you how happy I am to finally be able to post one of these...after three rejections I was getting pretty bummed. Letter from Colorado came today and they are giving me $2000. I'm so excited! Finally!
Good luck to everyone!!!

holdencaulfield said:
I can't tell you how happy I am to finally be able to post one of these...after three rejections I was getting pretty bummed. Letter from Colorado came today and they are giving me $20000. I'm so excited! Finally!
Congrats, Congrats, Congrats to you :clap: :hardy: :clap: :hardy:

Congrats!! Maybe I'll see you there :)

Here's to another day in limbo.

Nothing from Virginia--I think I may be ranked lower and must wait until somebody turns down an interview.

Nothing from Tufts---They have not sent out all interview invitations yet; but I was told (by the admissions office) if I did not receive a letter by the end of next week to call for my status. I would interpret that as a rejection.

Called LSU--still organizing and getting ready for the process. Will find out via mail if accepted/denied. This is for non-resident/non-contract applicants.

Tomorrow is another day and brings the promise something good, maybe.