News from anywhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PAThbrd said:
So we should receive two letters then? One at school and one at home if Im reading that right... Thanks for the info!

Good luck all.

Yep, that's what it sounded like to me. I got my interview letter today, for Jan. 20th also (so I will see you there maybe, traxomatic!)

I am thinking maybe they are doing the interviews alphabetically, because my last name starts with a B.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I am from Northeast Ohio... are you in the Columbus area now or will you be moving?

mysterypie said:
Oh Yeah for new classmates! Are you from Ohio Leighann?

Anyone heard from Cornell today? According to Nuttella, they were supposed to call or email by the end of today. . .I've heard nothing.

On the good news, I also got a UPENN interview today for Jan 20, although I have a final that day, so I guess I'm going to have to reschedule the interview (does anyone know their policy regarding rescheduling interviews? Are they lenient about this?).

Members don't see this ad :)
Dafuzzy said:
Anyone heard from Cornell today? According to Nuttella, they were supposed to call or email by the end of today. . .I've heard nothing.

Still nothing for me either. Tracking page still says my application is in the review process. I'm hoping for a call next week :scared:

eighannelay said:
Yes, I am from Northeast Ohio... are you in the Columbus area now or will you be moving?

Yes, I am in Columbus now. Originally from Dayton, College in Massachusetts, spent some time in Maryland and then moved to Columbus last year to finish up prereqs.

It sounds like you'll be making a move for vet school, although I could be wrong. I'll be looking for a new roommate for next fall if you're interested. I think it would make life so much easier to live with other vet students but I'm sure many people would disagree since we'll be living, sleeping, and eating vet school pretty soon.

I was just accepted to Cornell today and started sobbing uncontrollably when the dean of admissions told me. I just could not help it.

nutellagirl said:
I was just accepted to Cornell today and started sobbing uncontrollably when the dean of admissions told me. I just could not help it.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am (as I'm sure we all are) so excited for you! :D

Much congrats! I'm glad everything worked out just as you hoped!!!

skibum said:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am (as I'm sure we all are) so excited for you! :D

Congratulations Nutellagirl! I didn't even apply to Cornell; I know how selective they are with out-of-staters. You're so lucky; Cornell is such a good school and in a beautiful location! I wish you all the best there! Oh, I would've cried too...hahah.. :oops: Are you still going to interview elsewhere? Congrats again!

Congrats Nutellagirl! The wait is finally over.. Cornell is really a top choice school.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?

peppermintgal said:
Congrats Nutellagirl! The wait is finally over.. Cornell is really a top choice school.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?

Thank you all for the encouragement. That call meant everything. I am still a little numb, despite my initial cathartic sobs to the director of Cornell admissions. I know that I am very fortunate to have heard so early, and pray that all of you get the news you have worked so hard for in the weeks to come. I have a microbiology take home final due today and I am too wound up to focus!

So, for my stats:

I'm a married post-bacc 32 year old former journalist living in New York City. I graduated from Harvard in 1997 (I am class of 1995 however, but took a couple of years off here and there) cum laude in Romance Languages and Literatures. I had wanted to be an MD since I was a little girl and started pre-med like every other 17 year old and just could not stomach the competition and freaky Harvard crud. I became a correspondent for the Christian Science Monitor in Boston and had a Pew fellowship to Johns Hoipkins SAIS and to report on child labor in Morocco. (I am a language collector) Then I was hired by the Associated Press international desk in New York and was going to be posted in Cairo the following year, but 9/11 happened and I was one of the many journalists laid off. I was essentially unemployed for the next 1.5 years (getting by nannying, etc.) as there were just no jobs to be found. Great for the self esteem. For my 30th birthday, my husband gave me a cocker puppy who turned out to be very sick (he's ok now :love: ),and I started to think about medicine again, and eventually had the epiphany that I had always wanted to be a doctor, but just not the kind who treats humans (I had also been considering whether entering the seminary to become an Episcopal priest was right for me). Anyways, 2 years ago, I started working in my dog's clinic and took a chem class at the Borough of Manhattan Community College, was able to hack it, took the summer chem course and then started full time at Hunter.

I had about 650 hours as a paid vet assistant at that small clinic, 550 as a paid tech at a 24 hour vet hospital the next spring and summer, 300 hours volunteering at an equine hospital in Orgeon, 500+ hours this summer at The Animal Medical Center in Manhattan (the Mayo Clinic of the pet world) doing their unpaid full-time 10 week internship as a clinic aide, and about 300 hours of research with lab rats (which was very tough emotionally) FOURTEEN YEARS ago the summer before I started Harvard.

My academics were iffy as an undergrad. I worked hard and got As and Bs, but Cum laude doesn't mean what it means now- the standards are tighter these days. I had somewhere around a 3.3-3.4 (Harvard had a different GPA scale:Groups I-XV :confused: ), including what counts as an F (but is kindly called "Absent") at Harvard for panicking and just deciding to bail on my physics for poets final, a B- in Bio (that really should have been lower ) because I also left the final after 10 minutes in a panic, and withdrew one term after some family stuff.

I did very well in my post-bacc: about a 3.77, all As and A+s except for an A- in Gen Chem 2, a B-in Orgo 1 and a B in Orgo 2 (those two grades being the proudest I have ever earned) and took the GRE once in April: 670 V (94%) and 750 M, 5.5 A.

To any of you who have also not considered yourself "sciency," I had to work my butt off to keep up with the material and not succumb to major waves of inadequacy. But it is possible. There is just nothing else that clicks for me but veterinary medicine, and I feel so blessed that the thought occurred to me.

Happy New Year!
Elisabetta Coletti

Congratulations, thats awesome! I'm still waiting impatiently to join you :)

mysterypie said:
Yes, I am in Columbus now. Originally from Dayton, College in Massachusetts, spent some time in Maryland and then moved to Columbus last year to finish up prereqs.

It sounds like you'll be making a move for vet school, although I could be wrong. I'll be looking for a new roommate for next fall if you're interested. I think it would make life so much easier to live with other vet students but I'm sure many people would disagree since we'll be living, sleeping, and eating vet school pretty soon.

Yes, I am going to be making a move for vet school. My boyfriend and I are planning on moving down this summer after our wedding.

When you found out you got in did they call you? They called me last wednesday and I am waiting on my letters/info to arrive. Have you got yours yet? How long before it reached you? haha, as you can see I am not impatient or anything :p

PS- Congrats nutellavetgirl! You're in :)

Members don't see this ad :)
eighannelay said:
Yes, I am going to be making a move for vet school. My boyfriend and I are planning on moving down this summer after our wedding.

When you found out you got in did they call you? They called me last wednesday and I am waiting on my letters/info to arrive. Have you got yours yet? How long before it reached you? haha, as you can see I am not impatient or anything :p

PS- Congrats nutellavetgirl! You're in :)

Now you can relax and not worry about admissions anymore! Hehe...you've earned it.
If anyone else applied to Mississippi State, I got an email this morning saying that I have an interview in February.

Hey everyone,
I have applied to UPenn, UC Davis, Colorado, Auburn, Tuskegee, Western U, and Kansas. I have an interview at Kansas on the 7th (yikes). But I haven't gotten any news from any other schools (except to confirm that my app was complete).

nutellagirl said:

Congrats Nutellagirl! I got the same call today, and while I didn't start sobbing, I believe my exact words to the Dean of Admissions were "Oh My God! Are you serious? Are you, um, sure?" (How very eloquent of me...) The dean was nice enough to humor me and reply that he was indeed serious, but I still didn't believe him until the follow-up email came 10 minutes later. (For the record, my document tracking page still says "File In Review".)

It sounds like we've got a lot in common (am also a non-traditional student from NYC), and I'm looking forward to meeting a fellow Cornell DVM Class of 2010er!

It sounds like we've got a lot in common (am also a non-traditional student from NYC), and I'm looking forward to meeting a fellow Cornell DVM Class of 2010er![/QUOTE]

:love: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: Wow, he really made you sweat it out! I live in Park Slope, how about you? Where did you do your post-bacc? I called Cornell today to verify that I was in fact accepted... and that I didn't need to take any more classes. So now, I guess I need to get a job and pull my weight at home! Again, congratulations congratulations congratulations!
Elisabetta Coletti

:love: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: Wow, he really made you sweat it out! I live in Park Slope, how about you? Where did you do your post-bacc? I called Cornell today to verify that I was in fact accepted... and that I didn't need to take any more classes. So now, I guess I need to get a job and pull my weight at home! Again, congratulations congratulations congratulations!
Elisabetta Coletti[/QUOTE]

Thank you!
I actually took a few post-bacc courses to finish up what I was still missing (Undergrad = Barnard, about 4 Post-Bacc classes from Barnard/Columbia/NYU). Oh, and I live in the UWS. I was just re-checking the requirements for Cornell to see if I need anymore course, and I'm pretty sure I don't (SO glad I don't have to take genetics this semester since Cornell was the only one that didn't want it...lol), but I think I might call again tomorrow just to be sure. Don't want to lose the admissions offer over something as silly as one class....

Hi Andrea-
My sister Kathleen graduated from Barnard your year. I wonder if you two knew each other? Yes thank God about the genetics and the calculus I was about to start in a couple weeks. And I just verified with them that I did not need to take orgo 2 lab. BTW, I tutor around Lincoln Center 4 x a week.
Congratulations again!
Elisabetta

nutellagirl said:
My sister Kathleen graduated from Barnard your year. I wonder if you two knew each other? Yes thank God about the genetics and the calculus I was about to start in a couple weeks. And I just verified with them that I did not need to take orgo 2 lab. BTW, I tutor around Lincoln Center 4 x a week.
Congratulations again!
Elisabetta

I thought your last name sounded famaliar! I don't know your sister personally, but her name definitely rings a bell. And :clap: on sliding by the orgo lab 2 (same here for me)....
Do you tutor privately or with a school in my area?
(And, of course, congrats again to you too! Am still in shock over the fact that I got in....)

:D :D I got accepted to vet school at Murdoch University in Perth, Australia. I am so excited. I actually withdrew all my other applications I had in.

Why Australia?? I will get to travel to another country and actually enjoy the culture and study at a good school, of which is accredited. And an added bonus is the fact that I will pretty much be able to work anywhere in the world upon completion of my degree.

I work with 5 veterinary pathologists all of whom are graduates from other countries and are amongst the brightest doctors that I have encountered.

I would definetly encourage more to apply to international schools. There are many that are accredited and are cheaper than paying out-of-state tuition, including in-state (U.C.Davis 28,000-30,000 and going up;Western 30,000 and going up).

Good luck to all and dont give up.

Congrats weezie! :thumbup: and congrats to all our accepteds thus far.

Wish I had exciting news to share, but alas, despite my best mailman stalking efforts, no news. I did, however, receive an email from Tufts just a bit ago, as I'm sure all fellow Tufts applicants received. The first paragraph was wonderfully encouraging suggesting acceptance or interview invite may be looming, followed by the second paragraph with depressing statistics about 80 spots for 700+ applicants and the "challenging decisions" the ad. com. faces which suggested rejection, promptly followed by instructions to increase the stalking of the mailman in the coming weeks for real news. Gut clenching elation and despair with no real news. :laugh: At least I now know when I see their name in my mailbox again it will be for real ;)

Best of luck all!

PAThbrd said:
Wish I had exciting news to share, but alas, despite my best mailman stalking efforts, no news. I did, however, receive an email from Tufts just a bit ago, as I'm sure all fellow Tufts applicants received. The first paragraph was wonderfully encouraging suggesting acceptance or interview invite may be looming, followed by the second paragraph with depressing statistics about 80 spots for 700+ applicants and the "challenging decisions" the ad. com. faces which suggested rejection, promptly followed by instructions to increase the stalking of the mailman in the coming weeks for real news. Gut clenching elation and despair with no real news. :laugh: At least I now know when I see their name in my mailbox again it will be for real ;)
I think we have a writer/poet in our midst! :laugh:
I applied to Tufts as well and recieved the exact same email....aaarrrggghhh!
Let the mailbox stalking season officially begin.

Congrats Weezie! I will likely be at the island next door (New Zealand) where I've been accepted at Massey. I agree with you that more people should consideration international accredited schools! I still have applications in at a few US schools (Tufts, Penn and Wisconsin), but am so excited about the prospects of living overseas for awhile that I'm not sure I could pass it up.

katemez said:
Congrats Weezie! I will likely be at the island next door (New Zealand) where I've been accepted at Massey. I agree with you that more people should consideration international accredited schools! I still have applications in at a few US schools (Tufts, Penn and Wisconsin), but am so excited about the prospects of living overseas for awhile that I'm not sure I could pass it up.

That is very awesome. I have applications into both schools in Scotland, Canada and was going to finish up my application for London when I found out. One of the veterinary pathologists I work for is from New Zealand and he has nothing but good things to say about it. We also just had a current vet student speak about Massey during one of our pre-vet meetings and it looks as though you are going to have a lot of fun and learn a lot. Good luck! I do want to visit the island during one of our mini breaks (that is if I have time).

katemez said:
I still have applications in at a few US schools (Tufts, Penn and Wisconsin), but am so excited about the prospects of living overseas for awhile that I'm not sure I could pass it up.

I felt the same way! Once you start at a foreign school, be prepared to answer the question: "Why did you go way over there when you could have gone to XYZ (your in-state) school?" Then they insinuate that you have bad grades or weren't good enough for a US school (or you will feel that they're insinuating this). It becomes difficult to explain the excitement you have at the adventure of attending vet school overseas. The excitement is enough, and the fact that the school is accredited is enough - don't you think?

:thumbup:

Nice one, Katemez. The Massey degree is apparently a lot of fun (as well as hard work!) according to the students I've spoken to. There're a few students from North America in most yearly intakes too, I believe. If you decide to go and want some more info about the school and/or NZ, I might be able to help, as I'm a NZer who got accepted into Massey last year (didn't end up going due to personal situation but that's another story).

katemez said:

Hi Everyone, here is some information. Rejection from Illinois today 01/09, rejection from Purdue 01/06. Did anyone apply to LSU?

mountain man said:
Hi Everyone, here is some information. Rejection from Illinois today 01/09, rejection from Purdue 01/06. Did anyone apply to LSU?

I applied to LSU and the only thing they have sent me was an email today to send my fall transcripts. I also applied to Purdue and have heard nothing but today's mail is not here yet. I am anxiously waiting.

Yes I got that email from LSU too. It was kind of funny because if you read it again, it says "those being considered" please send fall transcripts. I was thinking to myself, perhaps people were rejected already, and I was being considered. LOL! :oops:

Good Luck! I will keep you posted if I hear anything else.

Hi mountain man,

Did the rejection from UIUC come via the post or through email? I also applied to UIUC. As I don't live in the US, I would just like to know if i am going to expect a rejection letter in the post sometime soon. (Although.. i am of course hoping that i won't get that..but it's always good to be prepared)

Thanks for the information.

Well, got rejected by UIUC. I had no expectations since I am an out-of-state applicant.

I wish my rejection letter had been personally signed by the associate dean...pre-stamped signatures are sooo ghetto! :smuggrin:

Hi, Yes the rejection from Illinois came in the form of a letter in the mail. I too am an out-of-state applicant, but I thought I had a chance there. I will keep you all posted on my status. By the way did anyone hear from Minnesota?

I just got an email from Western saying that they would start calling next week to invite people to interviews, then THE LETTERS saying yes, no, or alternate will be sent out March 15... wheez, wheez --> (me hyperventilating)

anybody hear anything from Iowa yet?

AbbeyRoad said:
anybody hear anything from Iowa yet?

The only thing I have received from Iowa was an email about three weeks ago saying my application was complete and has been forwarded to the committee for consideration.

ok thanks! yeah i got that too i was just wondering how long it will take them :oops:

Still no news from Auburn, TN or UGA. Anxiously waiting for Auburn the most since they notify about interviews in Jan-Feb. But I'm trying to assume that since I am out-of-state I probably won't get any news until feb.

Got my first rejection letter of the year on Monday (1/9) form Purdue. Anyone else getting this letter feel like it was saying there was something obviously wrong with your application?

Still waiting for any news from: Virginia, UGA, Auburn, Tufts, Colorado, Kansas, and Wisconsin

I know some people have already had interviews from Kansas, but has anyone had news from the other schools?

Thanks for the support everyone!

So I just got off the phone with the Chair of the Admissions committee at North Carolina State and I have been accepted into the class of 2010!!! I am soooo excited :D They reviewed out of state applications last week and have been notifying accepted students! :)

Best of luck all!

Wow thats great!! Congratulations :D

PAThbrd said:
So I just got off the phone with the Chair of the Admissions committee at North Carolina State and I have been accepted into the class of 2010!!! I am soooo excited :D They reviewed out of state applications last week and have been notifying accepted students! :)
Way to go!!!!!Time to celebrate! :hardy:

Arf. . .just got waitlisted at Cornell today (electronic letter via the tracking website).

Does anyone know if the waitlist at Cornell is ranked? Or if it moves quickly (meaning a number of people get on each year?). How many people are on it? Or if you know anything besides its existence, I would really appreciate finding out. . .

Thanks!

Came back from doing some errands and whaddya know, I get 2 separate phone calls---one from Ross and one from St. George U. I was accepted to both :) .

I'm not knocking Ross or SGU, but I still hope I will be accepted in the States...a lot less expensive and less "administrative" hurdles to overcome.

That's great! Congrats!! You can now rest assured that you're at least going somewhere:)
PAThbrd said:

Best of luck all!

Congratulations Loo, and PAThbrd. Now, PAThbrd I see you are still waiting for Penn, are you going to continue, or are you heading south? :)

Thanks for all the congrats, guys!

loo said:
Came back from doing some errands and whaddya know, I get 2 separate phone calls---one from Ross and one from St. George U. I was accepted to both :) .

I'm not knocking Ross or SGU, but I still hope I will be accepted in the States...a lot less expensive and less "administrative" hurdles to overcome.
Congrats loo! Very exciting... its nice and warm in the Carribean, could be worth the "administrative hurdles"! :)

mountain man said:
Congratulations Loo, and PAThbrd. Now, PAThbrd I see you are still waiting for Penn, are you going to continue, or are you heading south? :)
I'm still going to wait on Penn, its my in-state school and still my #1 choice (tied with Colorado). However, I am totally excited about NC State and would have no objections going there should the others fall through . I'm planning on visiting at some point, who knows, I may fall in love with it!

Hopefully everyone else will get exciting phone calls and letters soon! Being accepted is one of the greatest feelings I've ever experienced. It's like an all-encompasing reward for everything I've worked so hard at for the last several years and I hope everyone gets to experience that!

Best of luck all!

PAThbrd said:

Best of luck all!

Congrats pathbrd and loo!!! Is it not the best feeling in the world. I cant even explain how I felt. I had to read the letter over and over to make sure it was real. Then I couldnt breathe and stated crying because it means that all my hard work and long hours paid off.

Loo, one of my friends is in his 3rd year at Texas A&M and when I was applying I was telling him that I was thinking about applying to Ross and St. George. He went and talked to his professors and they had very good things to say about the universities and a couple of the professors actually taught at the universities. Good luck.

I was browsing the UIUC website.. interviews for UIUC would be on the 27-Feb.

Interviewing over 300 students for 115 places..

weeziefive said:
Loo, one of my friends is in his 3rd year at Texas A&M and when I was applying I was telling him that I was thinking about applying to Ross and St. George. He went and talked to his professors and they had very good things to say about the universities and a couple of the professors actually taught at the universities. Good luck.
Thanks weeziefive! I definitely did my research on Ross and SGU before I applied and would attend either if I didn't get in a US school. Why? Both schools attract quality teaching and have high NAVLE passage rates, Ross is already in the process of AVMA accreditation (although realistically, it may take 2-4 years to occur), and the quality of grads is comparable to US grads (have experienced this myself and talked extensively with vets who have extended experience with carribbean grads). The only downside I see with carribbean schools is the cost and extra hurdles (ECFVG, PAVE) to practice.