News from U. of Maryland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Downshift

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone on SDN has heard from the University of Maryland post-interview. From what I have gathered, it seems that they tend to mail out acceptances fairly quickly, but wait a while to notify you of a waitlist or rejection decision. I interviewed there in late October and have nothing since then, so I was curious if they have indeed begun to mail out decisions this year. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Downshift,
I interviewed on Oct 2, 2002 and I got a letter on Halloween telling me I had been put on hold for further consideration. I think they like to get back to peeps within a month, u should hear something very soon. I would check your snail mail.
-CT

I interviewed on Sept. 30, and I haven't heard anything yet. R u sure about the quickness in mailing out acceptances? Doesn't sound so good for me :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Give them a call. I interviewed there on 9/30 too. I waited 'til almost the end of October to call them. It turned out that my letter got lost in the mail and they re-sent my letter within a day.

What was the answer? (just curious)

Originally posted by kaos
What was the answer? (just curious)

Good news...

Maryland tends to be kind of uneven and doesn't really follow a rule for how long they tend to take post-interview. One girl on here (ValleyGal, who now attends Columbia) waited 5 months post-interview (w/out being put on hold) before being accepted, and one girl the year I interviewed was accepted 2 weeks post-interview. I was put on hold two weeks post-interview. So don't worry about when others hear from UM, they will get to your file. Because there are so many interviewers and not all interviewers can make the biweekly adcom meeting (we were told by Dr. Foxwell that that is how often they meet), it could be a while before they get to your file. Usually calling the office is not very helpful, but if it's been a few months and you still have not heard, it can't hurt to write them a letter expressing your interest and saying that you enjoyed your interviews with Drs. so-and-so. If UMAB is your first choice, be sure to tell them that as well, and IMO it is not a good idea to say "b/c of in-state tuition." Unfortunately Maryland was not kind to me in 2001, but I still got to go to med school. hope some of the info helps you, from someone who's been there. b/c these types of threads tend to lead to the "what are/were your stats?" inquiries, I will post them briefly, no offense intended. 3.62 GPA from U of Maryland-CP, 29Q MCAT (on a retake), reapplicant, non-URM female, MD resident. The overall average stats for admission to Maryland med are 3.63 and 30.1 MCAT. 80-85% of class from MD, rest largely from CA and neighboring states. good luck! :cool:

I agree that Maryland admissions is pretty weird. If this helps anyone, last year I heard nothing post-interview for like five or six months, then I received a letter saying they had not made a decision. Seven and a half months after my interview, they sent me an acceptance. So - not hearing now isn't necessarily so bad. :)

If it's a top choice, I'm sure a letter of interest couldn't hurt. I called the office once but they weren't able to give me any info.

Good luck - I'm not a student there but I think Maryland's a very strong school.

Thanks everybody,
I guess no news is better than bad news!

i interviewed on oct.21 and got accepted nov.21... but last year i applied only to MD and interviewed oct.15, was told that i was on hold in april, put on the wait-list in june, and finally rejected in september! i heard they weigh the interviews really strongly... that's my only word of advice ;)

also, is anyone else from MD (as in the state) going there? i figure i'll end up knowing quite a few people in my class... and i'm excited to see if any of them are on sdn!

Originally posted by aauerba1
i interviewed on oct.21 and got accepted nov.21...
Congratulations, Amy!!! :clap:

-- Your Physics 3 Lab Partner

this is really frustrating. I interviewed @ MD on their first day, haven't heard anything yet, called them today, and the person who answered the phone was really mean. She was like, just wait, we haven't gotten to you yet, you'll hear from us when we make a decision, stop calling. I said, I just wanted to make sure everything was ok, and this is my first time calling! :eek: Anyway, she eventually checked on something, and said that my application hadn't gone to the committee yet! :eek: :eek:

Maryland's actually one of my top choices.
I go to grad school nearby, but I'm a CA resident.
I thought of establishing residency here, but there's only one state med school here.
And I want to keep my options open for UC schools.
My ideal situation would be to go to Maryland, though.
Does anyone know what the odds are of a CA resident getting in?

And what is the range for MCAT and GPA for MD acceptances?
Anyone with info, I greatly appreciate it!

I DEFINITELY think the interview is important at UMAB, however, some of their interviewers can be condescending and down right rude. I interviewed their on the 2nd of October and it was my first. Since then I have interviewed at five other places and although they are a top choince for me being my state school, they came off as pretty crappy after the interview. I mean from my other experiences I have left the session feeling like a million bucks and like I had the opportunity to shine. in other words, I was given the opportunity by my other interviewers to present myself in a good manner.

At MD i was not afforded that luxury. Granted it was my first and I was a bit nervous, but the first interviewer I had hadnt ever looked at any of my info before nor did he seem to care about what I had to say. he kept tying and retying his shoes and staring at his watch. I felt like talking about domething in depth was a burden to him. Plus he made fun of me to my face! It was just not what I expected.

My second interview was ok, but the interviewer did not care so much about me as he cared about how much I agreed with his thoughts. He asked why I would not want to be a doctor and when i told him i did want to be a doctor (I mean why else would be sitting in his freaking office!) he lectured me at length about the ailments concerning the medical profession.

I dunno, i wasn';t too critical of their interviewing process untuil after I left and went to other schools. I just felt like i was not an invited guest by either of the doctors I met with. I mean they werent complete a$$holes, but relative to my other interviewers they seem like satan.

Anyhoo, i do not want to deter anyone from going or applying to umab, I have tons of friends there and they love it. I suppose I just had a poor experience that's all.