Next mayo adcom meeting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just contacted the office and this is all the info I received:

They have given all the offers to fill the class. All those on hold will know what their next status is (rejection or alternate list) by April 1st. The alternate list is going to be made next week.

Good luck guys!

Members don't see this ad.

maygirl said:
I just contacted the office and this is all the info I received:

They have given all the offers to fill the class. All those on hold will know what their next status is (rejection or alternate list) by April 1st. The alternate list is going to be made next week.

Good luck guys!
Thanks for posting that, so we don't all have to call! :thumbup:

Good luck to you too! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Weirdo said:
any news for those waitlisted?

Yeah, I just got an email at 9:30 this morning saying I was waitlisted. Is there really any movement for those waitlisted since Mayo has such a small class size?

PedsGirl said:
Yeah, I just got an email at 9:30 this morning saying I was waitlisted. Is there really any movement for those waitlisted since Mayo has such a small class size?

Same here. Yay, 4 more months of torturous waiting!!! :laugh: :eek:

I read the posts from previous years, and it looks like about 65-70 people were put on the alternate list last year, but i don't know how many were pulled off. About 12 were accepted off the list a few years ago.....Waitlist movement generally happened in early May before and around the May 15th deadline.

<sigh> :luck:

maygirl said:
Same here. Yay, 4 more months of torturous waiting!!! :laugh: :eek:

I read the posts from previous years, and it looks like about 65-70 people were put on the alternate list last year, but i don't know how many were pulled off. About 12 were accepted off the list a few years ago.....Waitlist movement generally happened in early May before and around the May 15th deadline.

<sigh> :luck:

Thanks for the info!! I really like Mayo so I will keep my fingers crossed for all of us :)

Got the same email today. I feel like a cat being teased with a toy on a string that's always out of reach! Good luck, guys :luck:

PedsGirl said:

should I be worried that I didn't get the email.

got kinda depressed just now looking at a link to last year's waitlist movement...none for Mayo :( I'm reminding myself that this is just SDN, and does not account for all of those people out there who aren't addicted to this site (lucky souls!). I'm clinging to every ounce of hope I can ;)

Tigger27 said:
got kinda depressed just now looking at a link to last year's waitlist movement...none for Mayo :( I'm reminding myself that this is just SDN, and does not account for all of those people out there who aren't addicted to this site (lucky souls!). I'm clinging to every ounce of hope I can ;)

I think they had very small waitlist movement. Just no one from SDN. I know what you mean though. I just want this whole process to be over so I can start planning for next year!!!

I totally agree, Maygirl...I am figuring my chances at Mayo aren't good and I'm all set to go to U of A, but it's so hard to make plans. I've heard rumors that only somewhere in the neighborhood of ten of us will get off the waitlist, which makes sense given a class of forty.

kiki the alto said:
I totally agree, Maygirl...I am figuring my chances at Mayo aren't good and I'm all set to go to U of A, but it's so hard to make plans. I've heard rumors that only somewhere in the neighborhood of ten of us will get off the waitlist, which makes sense given a class of forty.

Ugh.

That's not very hopeful.

It sucks too because I'm on 5 waitlists total. I have 3 schools that I think I have a more realistic chance of getting off the waitlist, so I wanted to write a letter of intent to my favorite of the three. Unfortunately, since I prefer Mayo to them, I think I'm just going to have to write a few measly letters of interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
A little comic relief for those of us waiting on Mayo...
For April Fools, I got a package from a friend. Opened it to find a bottle of Helman's...super-glued shut! Damn his sense of humor :laugh:

Bumping because it's been a month since the last post.

Anybody hear anything? May 15th is right around the corner, but I'm not holding my breath too much. I know how hard it is to get off the waitlist, so I've actually started looking for housing at the school I'm planning to attend.

Good luck! :luck:

Got the good news via phone and e-mail on 4/28, but will probably decline (if I can bring myself to turn down that sweet sweet Mayo Merit Scholarship). Best of luck to all!

I got the good news on 4/28, too - but I accepted their offer!
I was skeptical about getting off the waitlist as well, so keep hope alive.

Best of luck, guys!

hi everyone..

I got in off the waitlist too! phone call & email on 4/28 and letter received in the mail yesterday, 5/3. I was set on stanford as of last week, but now I'm torn again, because I loved the mayo when I visited! ... the thought of having to turn down either of these two schools pains me.. :( if anyone has any thoughts on either of these schools, please let me know..

Thanks so much guys for letting us know that Mayo has actually had some waitlist movement...it gives those of us for whom it is our first choice a real hope. What did you all do? send an LOI? Bug them a lot? Honestly, I'm a bit worried about calling to find out my place on the waitlist, even. But I sure am tired of waiting...I pretty much have ignored that possibility for now and am focused on going to U of Arizona next year. Sigh...

kiki the alto said:
Thanks so much guys for letting us know that Mayo has actually had some waitlist movement...it gives those of us for whom it is our first choice a real hope. What did you all do? send an LOI? Bug them a lot? Honestly, I'm a bit worried about calling to find out my place on the waitlist, even. But I sure am tired of waiting...I pretty much have ignored that possibility for now and am focused on going to U of Arizona next year. Sigh...

It's good to hear the waitlist is moving. Congrats, guys! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed...I loved Mayo so, so much. :)

kiki the alto said:

Anyone know if they can tell you your spot on the waitlist if you call? For some reason, I feel like I remember them saying that they wouldn't tell you where you were, and that Jane and Cindy didn't even have access to the ranking so that they couldn't tell you even if they wanted. But I could be mis-remembering....I'm so neurotically nervous about pestering them, it's pathetic :oops:

Tigger27 said:
Anyone know if they can tell you your spot on the waitlist if you call? For some reason, I feel like I remember them saying that they wouldn't tell you where you were, and that Jane and Cindy didn't even have access to the ranking so that they couldn't tell you even if they wanted. But I could be mis-remembering....I'm so neurotically nervous about pestering them, it's pathetic :oops:

I'm really curious...I just called Mayo to see if there is any info they can tell us waitlistees about anticipated movement. Jane said that unforyunately, they can't release your rank and that it's really hard to anticipate movement. She did, however, also mention that NO ONE has been accepted off the waitlist yet this year. :confused: Those who posted that they got in...are these recycled posts from years past? It's coincidental that all those who say they got in said they got the call on April 28, which is when other threads say people first heard they got off the list last year...I'm confused. Not that it matters, I know - I'm just finding small things to obsess about to occupy my mind as I wait in purgatory! :)

Tigger27 said:
I'm really curious...I just called Mayo to see if there is any info they can tell us waitlistees about anticipated movement. Jane said that unforyunately, they can't release your rank and that it's really hard to anticipate movement. She did, however, also mention that NO ONE has been accepted off the waitlist yet this year. :confused: Those who posted that they got in...are these recycled posts from years past? It's coincidental that all those who say they got in said they got the call on April 28, which is when other threads say people first heard they got off the list last year...I'm confused. Not that it matters, I know - I'm just finding small things to obsess about to occupy my mind as I wait in purgatory! :)

Hey Tiggs,

Nope, I heard the good news on April 28th of this year... I'm not sure if I was ever technically on the "waitlist." On March 24th I was put on an "alternate" list, if that makes any difference. I have until this Thursday to accept their appointment to the incoming class, but it looks like I'll be declining it for an east coast school. Again, best of luck with everything!

Karl Hungus said:
Hey Tiggs,

Nope, I heard the good news on April 28th of this year... I'm not sure if I was ever technically on the "waitlist." On March 24th I was put on an "alternate" list, if that makes any difference. I have until this Thursday to accept their appointment to the incoming class, but it looks like I'll be declining it for an east coast school. Again, best of luck with everything!

Good luck and Congrats :)

el_chavo said:
bizzump to the hizzump

Anyone heard anything from Mayo? Any alternate list movement?

Talairach said:
Anyone heard anything from Mayo? Any alternate list movement?

Sorry, haven't heard anything.

But people have been taken off the alternate list so there has been movement.

According to threads from previous years, most of the movement is in May (instead of June like most schools). I think if there is anyone being pulled off the alternate list from now on, it will only be a select few.

Good luck!

Mayo admitted someone off of the waitlist last week- just a little fyi

takara said:
Mayo admitted someone off of the waitlist last week- just a little fyi

There's still hope :luck: :luck: :luck: Anyone still hanging in there waiting w/ me? :oops: