next ptcb test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w33zerish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was looking at the schedule posted on the ptcb website trying to find out when the next test is. i am confused about the testing window. i thought u take the test on specific dates.. any help would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that you have to sign up by the 30th for a spot between 4/24 and 5/25 (I'm new at this too).

I just signed up for this testing window via phone, so here's my experience in case it helps:

I called them up, gave them my name (and verifying info like e-mail and address), and then they asked "Okay, so when do you want to test?" I mentioned a week in which I wanted to test (ie, sometime between May 14 and 18) and they read me a list of open dates and times for that week. I chose one. It was quite easy, and I got an e-mail confirmation.

I think (think, don't know) that back when the test was on paper, rather than on the computer, there were only a few test dates per year. But now that it is computerized, you have more or less your pick of days within a given monthlong window in which to take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took mine last month. What you do is you register with PTCB for the testing period. They send you a confirmation email. The confirmation email gives you the information for PearsonVUE which runs their testing for them. You then register with PearsonVUE for a specific test date/location. They then send you a confirmation page for your appointment. Then you take the test registration confirmation and the appointment confirmation pages to the test site for admission to the test.

Then you pass the test, get your spiffy certificate and apply for license if necessary.

Do you need to take this test for pharmacy school? I know you have to apply to be an intern, but what about this test?

Do you need to take this test for pharmacy school? I know you have to apply to be an intern, but what about this test?

This is the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam. This is only if you are trying to become a certified technician to get Pharmacy experience/have something to show on your application that you know enough to work in a pharmacy.

It is not required for pharmacy school and is trumped by your intern license. So yeah, if you're already accepted the only reason it would do you any good is if you want to get behind the counter as a certified technician before you matriculate. And even then it's only in states that require PTCB certification to become a tech anyway. Not all do. It would be a complete waste in states that don't accept PTCE certification. (unless again, your just trying to show a pharmacy school you have enough pharmacy-related knowledge to pass,and it doesn't really take that much.)

I saw some students post that they need this license for Midwestern CCP before they can be an intern. I see no point in taking this test if you've already been accepted to a pharmacy school, but I guess every school has their own requirements.

Pharmacy schools just require a license. The Illinois license is very easy to get. Go to the IDPFR website, and find the pharm tech license listing. In Illinois, though, the licensing rules are just about to change. They are going to add an intern license, soon.