Next Semester Classes-- Too Difficult?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AStudentDoctor

Mind Grenade
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this semester seem crazy?

(3) CHE 530 Fundamentals of Biochemistry; HARD
(3) BIO 528 Neurobiology; AUDITING - HARD
(3) BIO 321 Cell Biology: Mechanisms; HARD
(4) BIO 300 Microbiology + Lab; MEDIUM
(3) PHY 130 Physics I (Algebra-Based); MEDIUM
(1) PHY 131 Physics I Lab; EASY
(3) ENG 102 Writing II; EASY

TOTAL: 20 Credit Hours; 17 Taking; 3 Auditing

Note: Really taking Neurobiology because its only offered like once every 4 years and it seems just awesome-- but obviously for fun.

Members don't see this ad.

Say goodbye to your GPA ----> R.I.P

Hard is a relative term I suppose. One person could think they're extremely difficult, and another might have already dealt and nailed the same situation.

The real question is, do you think YOU can handle it without draining yourself?
Remember, ambition is good but too much can be overkill and exhausting. :[

I wouldn't take biochemistry with all those other subjects personally, but obviously it's up to you!

As long as you think you can do well in all those subjects, that's what matters in the end. If you can dedicate enough time to each subject to do well.

Also, if you plan on doing so I suppose you'll have to say good bye to your current social life :[

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont want to drop Cell Bio: Mech b/c its only offered in Fall and I probably wont be undergraduate next fall... Just want to get a headstart on graduate level material-- and yeah its a bit ambitious.

I will regret not atleast auditing Neurobiology-- so I am going for that.

The Biochem is the one course I know I definitely WANT to keep. Absolutely paramount.

Question, how do you audit course.. i'm confused.. does that count like your taking the course?

Note: Really taking Neurobiology because its only offered like once every 4 years and it seems just awesome-- but obviously for fun.

20 is bit of an over kill lol. i am taking 16 and its pressuring.

Question, how do you audit course.. i'm confused.. does that count like your taking the course?

It means you don't get a grade but you still have it listed as a course on your transcript. Merely for the "learning experience" often done with really hard courses PRIOR to the semester you would take the hard class in order to ensure an A. However in my case, I just want to learn.

It means you don't get a grade but you still have it listed as a course on your transcript. Merely for the "learning experience" often done with really hard courses PRIOR to the semester you would take the hard class in order to ensure an A. However in my case, I just want to learn.
Oh i see... so you would audit a course you consider extremely difficult prior to taking it?
haha i feel like such a noob i only thought Professors audit classes and had no idea what it meant.

That schedule seems very hard.

I highly suggest you pick one of those classes that you can drop and it won't a big deal for you. From the looks of it, you could just drop the neuro class--you're auditing it anyways. Sure it might be interesting, but will you feel the same way being bogged down with biochem, cell, physics, and hours of writing papers for that English class?

Just drop neurobiology. You'll be much better off taking it after your done with cell biology.

I dont want to drop Cell Bio: Mech b/c its only offered in Fall and I probably wont be undergraduate next fall... Just want to get a headstart on graduate level material-- and yeah its a bit ambitious.

I will regret not atleast auditing Neurobiology-- so I am going for that.

The Biochem is the one course I know I definitely WANT to keep. Absolutely paramount.

Why not just buy a neurobiology book someday and read it in your leisure time? Why have you got to take a class in something to know about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just buy a neurobiology book someday and read it in your leisure time? Why have you got to take a class in something to know about it?

Neurobiology is a very good class to take for undergrad. Just buying and reading a book won't get you half the information a discussion/ lecture will get you.

Neurobiology is a very good class to take for undergrad. Just buying and reading a book won't get you half the information a discussion/ lecture will get you.

I doubt that, and besides if the OP audits the class then no grade is earned thus it's rather insignificant to take as a college class.

I went to a seminar about ferns once, and the guy had never even taken a botany class. However, he was a published expert in the field. He was a retired insurance salesman.

I doubt that, and besides if the OP audits the class then no grade is earned thus it's rather insignificant to take as a college class.

I went to a seminar about ferns once, and the guy had never even taken a botany class. However, he was a published expert in the field. He was a retired insurance salesman.

Well he probably did a ton of research in the field to become a publishing expert. Anyways you'll be taking neurobiology in medical school, so its good to have some information coming in.

Looks tough but manageable. Drop the audit, though, since it's not going to help you any. Take neuro later for credit, though. It's an interesting course for sure. The others won't be too bad.

seems doable (looks like my schedule as a junior). the coursework you list is good prep for both med school and the mcat, and despite the tough-appearing schedule, it's easier than med school will be. on the other hand, try not to have too many semesters like this - college is supposed to be fun :). cheers and good luck :luck:

That's an insane load but definitely doable. I wouldn't do that though

I had a very similar term once. Neurobiology wasn't too tough (although that certainly depends on the instructor), but given the rest of my courseload, I got my one and only C in that biochem course. :( It was sad. If I had it to do over, I'd lighten up the term I took biochem in. It was brutal.

Again, this will vary somewhat by school/instructor/etc... just my experience.

What, are you guys kidding me? 17 credits is easy. I did 20 credits for a grade last semester and it was totally fine.