Next semester for my biology lab, we will be dissecting animals, do you have any

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexfoleyc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you have any specific or general advice on how to do well in this lab? I screwed up in my biology 111 lab this semester which dealt with plants. Next semester we will be studying animal kingdoms, and I dont want to mess up again. I messed up on the practicals which are 3/4 of the grade. In practicals, my prof mainly required us to identify structures on a slide. I studied for this with the pics in my lab book, but I just have a difficult time appling that to the real thing.

Members don't see this ad.

from the title of your thread I thought you were asking if we had any animals for you to dissect:laugh::laugh:

The good thing about dissecting animals are that there all pretty much the same. A frog and a pig have almost all the same organs as a human. The only tricky parts will probably looking for small parts like the gall bladder.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you dissect a cat, don't be afraid to use your fingers (after double-gloving, of course), rather than a scalpel, to separate fascia and muscle. I remember trying to use my tools very carefully, but once I started using my hands, the dissection actually went along much faster (and no, I was not butchering the dissection). Maybe that was just me, though.

do you have any specific or general advice on how to do well in this lab? I screwed up in my biology 111 lab this semester which dealt with plants. Next semester we will be studying animal kingdoms, and I dont want to mess up again. I messed up on the practicals which are 3/4 of the grade. In practicals, my prof mainly required us to identify structures on a slide. I studied for this with the pics in my lab book, but I just have a difficult time appling that to the real thing.

You're not really expected to have much technical skill for these dissections...your grade basically ends up depending on whether or not you can identify all the parts...

Because of the similarity to human structures I was a lot more interested in the animal material than I was the plant material. That said, I found it easier to do well.

I hate plants.

I agree, don't be afraid to use your hands. Also, don't underestimate the scissors if available. Our scalpels were total crap, but the snips really got through things quickly and smoothly. Cannot stress the use of PPE enough; squirting does happen. Perhaps some camphor above your lip if you don't take kindly to formalin.