Next step after being terminated during PGY 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phoenix2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my 3rd year of Residency and was notified a couple weeks ago, that I had been terminated. I am currently undergoing an appeal processes, but am trying to understand my options.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Gut reaction? I can't really say to much because I'm only hearing your side of things.
Sounds like you should get yourself a lawyer and fast! Spend a few theism now to save yourself hundreds of thousands down the line. Doesn't have to be completely adversarial but you need to protect your future income and career.

Absolutely agree with the above. Not that you'll need a lawyer necessarily, but this is your career/life and you have to be ready for whatever they hit you with. Can't go wrong with having a lawyer on your side whatever the situation is. Make this your next step.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in my 3rd year of Residency and was notified a couple weeks ago, that I had been terminated. I am currently undergoing an appeal processes, but am trying to understand my options.

I think you know your options. Win your appeal, transfer laterally to another Peds residency with some credit granted for time served, start over completely at a non Peds residency, practice as a GP with the license you earned during Intern year, and quit medicine entirely.

How likely each of those things is to happen depends on your situation. Are the accusing you of a knowledge/clinical competence issue, a longstanding professionalism issue, or is this about one or two episodes of gross misconduct? Did this come out of nowhere or have you spent a long time on probation? Do you have attendings who think you are doing well and who would recommend you? Does your program director give you the impression that this was a difficult decision that she felt forced into or does she flat out hate you?

Consulting a lawyer might help if you feel you can make a case for harassment or discrimination. I would definitely consult one in any event but don't mention the lawyer to the program unless you're willing to actually move forward with something legally.

Whatever happens I'm sorry for your situation. This sucks.

Last edited:
I have been looking online and trying to understand how one would move laterally into another program with credit for time served?

I have been looking online and trying to understand how one would move laterally into another program with credit for time served?

Find out which programs have non-PGY-1 slots open and talk to the PDs. You'll have to have some sort of letter from your PD, I think, though, so if you aren't on good terms, now would be a good time to try to get on good terms.

if you do transfer, you'll most likely have to repeat PGY2 since I don't know of any PGY3 spots that have ever been available