Procedure Competence During PICU Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghostbaby

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It’s no secret that pediatric residents who want to do PICU won’t get many procedures until fellowship. During residency, I’ve had all of my procedures for my PICU patients, e.g. intubations/central lines/A-lines/chest tubes, given to anesthesia or ED residents rotating with us, for convenience as they do these all the time.

One question I had while applying for PICU fellowship (no geographic ties) was: could the presence of other fellowships, such as PEM, peds surgery, or peds anesthesia, lead to needing to “fight” for procedures during fellowship? I know PEM fellows are required to rotate in the PICU as part of their curriculum. Are certain programs better at prioritizing PICU fellow autonomy over others, and is it worth going to a program that has no PEM fellowship, for instance.

How can I best gauge this during interview season?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Definitely worth asking when you are interviewing. Asking the question should get you the answer. If you are worried about the answer you can also ask for average procedure numbers for first year or so of fellowship.

I know in my program the ED fellow rotated in the PICU in a first year fellow "spot" so there wasn't any more competition than any other time. Same with anesthesia fellows, except the anesthesia fellow really wasn't there for procedures and often gave them up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Agreed. Anesthesia fellows are essentially observers who couldn’t care less what is going on and typically don’t want to be there. If anything, when it comes to airways, they are usually the most skilled and willing to teach.

PEM fellows usually function as first year PICU fellows (same as Cardiologists in the CVICU… depending on who owns the unit), ie they are competing against no one because they are the fellow.

Procedures are all about luck of the draw (for the trainee… not the patient obviously).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the others above. You'll get plenty in fellowship and probably an opportunity to go to the OR for airways as well. I also wouldn't feel bad about speaking up and saying "I want to do this," especially first year.

Reactions: 1 user
Ask about NPs/PAs in the unit, and who do the procedures for the patients they follow, (ie the PICU fellow or the NP/PA), that what will make a difference in your training, not the occasional PEM/Cards/Anesthesia fellows rotating in your unit.

If anyone knows they want to go into a procedurally heavy field (NICU/PICU/Cards/PEM) prior to starting residency, they should search out programs that actually encourage residents to get enough exposure at procedural skills. They do exist, though they are increasingly rare. That said, I also think any general pediatrician who is thinking about a more exurban or rural practice location should also consider places with the expectation for becoming procedurally sound. Not going to become a complete airway expert in the span of a 3 year peds residency, but should feel comfortable enough to attempt in an emergent situation. I fully believe that all graduating peds residents should be able to place a proper splint, do simple laceration repair, straight forward I&D, complete an LP on a febrile neonate, place a UVC, intubate a newborn and most importantly Bag-valve Mask a patient of any size. The change in meconium aspiration protocols has certainly altered the airway skills of pediatric residents. Other things like peripheral arterial lines, ultrasound exams, CVL's, PICC's, chest tubes are not bread and butter enough outside of the ICU's to be an absolute necessity.

Newsflash - this means actively avoiding programs at the biggest names. Look for places with some but not a full complement of fellowships (e.g. Neo and PEM but no PICU). Ask specifically during interviews multiple people how procedures are divided up. Drop places that say things like "fellows do everything" or "well if you really want them you can get them" and focus on places that say "interns get the first shot". Pick places that give more time in the ED. Look at places sending people to these specific fellowships year after year. Stay away from places that advertise things like cast technicians or suture techs in the ED that are literally paid to take away your learning opportunities.

If you are already in residency and only now figuring out you are heading into one of these fields, then shout it from the rooftops. Ask every attending and fellow you run into to let you do the procedure. People will help you if they know they should. If you can, try to schedule rotations in your desired field in the 2nd half of the year so that you have given the first year fellows time to accrue procedures and make them more prone to let you try. If your program's holiday schedule needs coverage in your desired unit, volunteer to your Chiefs that you want that time - true story I got essentially an extra 2 weeks of PICU time by volunteering for nights in the unit for the holidays - was easily some of the most fun times because I never had to sit through rounds, only complete H&P's, spent one on one time with the fellows to pick their brains, and got first crack at a lot of procedures (I did my first chest tube, my first unsupervised arterial line, and my first IJ during the holidays).

If it's too late for all of this...well, NICU, cards, and PICU fellowships are designed to get you technical skill to function independently. The evidence for proficiency in PEM fellowships is less certain...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users