NHSC APPLICATION 2015/2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My question might sound stupid but I searched on their website and couldn't find the answer. Wonder if you guys can help me out... I asked my school to fill out the disadvantage background form but couldn't find a way to upload to the application. Now it's closed and I want to know if I can still mail it in or is it too late (I submitted the app without the disadvantage form)? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

My question might sound stupid but I searched on their website and couldn't find the answer. Wonder if you guys can help me out... I asked my school to fill out the disadvantage background form but couldn't find a way to upload to the application. Now it's closed and I want to know if I can still mail it in or is it too late (I submitted the app without the disadvantage form)? Thank you.

I would call the office and ask if you could mail it in. They're probably going to say no since everything had to be uploaded and submitted by May 7th, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I would call the office and ask if you could mail it in. They're probably going to say no since everything had to be uploaded and submitted by May 7th, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Good luck!
Thank you. I will call them!

Members don't see this ad :)

I probably would have made a multiple page pdf, and put it with the verification form. I had 2 transcripts from different schools so that is what I did. Now that the app is closed I don't know what they'll allow. Good luck!

Just for curiosity sake I looked at the openings nationwide for NHSC sites. Right now there are 292 openings for dentists in general practice and 23 for pediatrics. That is a lot of need for so few scholarships. I realize there is only so many dollars available, but I wonder if they have considered partial scholarships or some other subsidies to get these spots filled? There are 1171 spots for MD/DO. Also, looks like Wisconsin would be a good place to open a practice. It's a beautiful state, especially northern WI. It's a blue collar area, but most would probably have dental insurance through their employers I would think.

The more I research about it, the more cautiously optimistic and excited I am about this scholarship! September can't come soon enough. Good luck :)

I'm super excited!!! Sometimes people are so cautious bc they wanna specialize etc... But honestly full tuition would be great. And plus most students won't even be 30 when they finish so there's plenty of time. I'll be 32 when I finish dental school and hopefully serving my fours years afterward. Debt is no joke.

I'm super excited!!! Sometimes people are so cautious bc they wanna specialize etc... But honestly full tuition would be great. And plus most students won't even be 30 when they finish so there's plenty of time. I'll be 32 when I finish dental school and hopefully serving my fours years afterward. Debt is no joke.
Agreed!! Full tuition would be AMAZING. I'll be a young graduate, but the debt is still insane. I'm mostly just cautious to get too excited because I don't want to be crushed if I don't get selected.

I agree. The boost you can give yourself coming right out of dental school debt free will offset any extra money you might make specializing, plus you will have better skills and if you still want to specialize, that will probably give you a leg up.

I agree. The boost you can give yourself coming right out of dental school debt free will offset any extra money you might make specializing, plus you will have better skills and if you still want to specialize, that will probably give you a leg up.

A lot of people really underestimate the power debt holds over you. It's very important to understand what you're getting into. Just because you see people driving a Mercedes or bmw doesn't mean they can afford it. Think smart now. And splurge when can realistically afford it. I'm married and my wife and I just bought our first house where I'll be attending school. This was only after saving and living below our means for 3yrs. Praise God if I get the scholarship bc that will be even less debt in our shoulders.

A lot of people really underestimate the power debt holds over you. It's very important to understand what you're getting into. Just because you see people driving a Mercedes or bmw doesn't mean they can afford it. Think smart now. And splurge when can realistically afford it. I'm married and my wife and I just bought our first house where I'll be attending school. This was only after saving and living below our means for 3yrs. Praise God if I get the scholarship bc that will be even less debt in our shoulders.

Obviously, not most do not have a chance to go for free, but I agree, if you get the chance, run with it. You will thank yourself for the rest of your life!! You can lease a BMW for about $500/month, which is what most people do...

Just wondering: if you have EFN or disadvangeted background status does that guarantee that you get the scholarship becaus whose are first and second priority? Also, someone said they only give 22/500 scholarships, how accurate is that? I applied already and I am curious...

40-60 Dental scholarships a year, and no it doesn't guarantee anything. You get first priority but if your essays or CV suck then you will get beat out by someone that isn't disadvantaged.

Members don't see this ad :)
O
40-60 Dental scholarships a year, and no it doesn't guarantee anything. You get first priority but if your essays or CV suck then you will get beat out by someone that isn't disadvantaged.
that makes sense, thanks for the info!

Shout out to @sunshine01 for taking the time to start this thread for applicants.

From what I've read in past threads, at this point we're looking for credit checks around the end of June. The credit check comes under the DHHS HRSA. It is a hard inquiry and will show up when you run a credit check using credit Karma. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.:xf::xf:

Reactions: 2 users
Shout out to @sunshine01 for taking the time to start this thread for applicants.

From what I've read in past threads, at this point we're looking for credit checks around the end of June. The credit check comes under the DHHS HRSA. It is a hard inquiry and will show up when you run a credit check using credit Karma. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.:xf::xf:
Do they do the credit check on their own or do we have to fill anything out/go somewhere in order to get one done??

How do you know if they check your credit?

I just checked. Is it by "US DEPARTMENT OF EDU"? It's on May 15th, 2015.

NVM, just looked at last year's thread and they said it should be "Dept. of Health". :(

Last edited:
I just checked. Is it by "US DEPARTMENT OF EDU"? It's on May 15th, 2015.

NVM, just looked at last year's thread and they said it should be "Dept. of Health". :(

I have the "US DEPARTMENT OF EDU" too. I'm pretty sure that's the credit check they did for loans. :(

Last year's application cycle had one round of credit checks on 6/23. 2013 application cycle had a few rounds of checks on 7/3, 7/11, and 7/15. I would guess that our checks will occur in one round at the end of June, similar to last year.

Bored at work....

Hi all! I got a hard credit inquiry on 6-11-15 from CREDCO. I used creditkarma.com.

I google'd CREDCO and found that it stands for a company called CoreLogic CREDCO which is a 3rd party company that runs credit checks for other organizations. So I called CoreLogic to see who asked them to run a credit check on me, and the guy said DHHS HRSA!

Then I called NHSC just to see what their telling people about credit checks this year, and the lady said they run it on all applications. But I don't know if that's true or not based on the threads from the past few years. Who knows!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! I got a hard credit inquiry on 6-11-15 from CREDCO. I used creditkarma.com.

I google'd CREDCO and found that it stands for a company called CoreLogic CREDCO which is a 3rd party company that runs credit checks for other organizations. So I called CoreLogic to see who asked them to run a credit check on me, and the guy said DHHS HRSA!

Then I called NHSC just to see what their telling people about credit checks this year, and the lady said they run it on all applications. But I don't know if that's true or not based on the threads from the past few years. Who knows!
I got one the same day...

How do you know if CREDCO has ran the check on your information, do they send you a notice?

How do you know if CREDCO has ran the check on your information, do they send you a notice?

No they don't send you anything. You have to look it yourself using a free website called creditkarma.com. It shows you your entire credit history and credit score. And within the credit report you can see 'credit inquiries'. That's how you can see if CREDCO did an inquiry on you.

No they don't send you anything. You have to look it yourself using a free website called creditkarma.com. It shows you your entire credit history and credit score. And within the credit report you can see 'credit inquiries'. That's how you can see if CREDCO did an inquiry on you.
Just curious if they're going by alphabetical order. What letter does your last name start with? I'm W and I haven't received the check yet.

Just curious if they're going by alphabetical order. What letter does your last name start with? I'm W and I haven't received the check yet.
Maybe in chronological order? I submitted a few hours before the deadline and I don't have the check yet.

Had my credit checked. Last name letter F. Day of deadline.

Last edited:
Last name G, submitted April 7

Last edited:

I submitted day of deadline, and last name starts with T.

Credit check on June 11 as well. I submitted my application a couple of weeks after the cycle opened. Last name starts with an M.

http://www.grantreviewinfo.net/hrsa/Info.asp?Program=676

Found this and it seems they only started reviewing applications officially June 16th and will go until the 26th. Hopefully we all get checked by then! Strange that some of you got checks before the review period started, but who knows?

No they don't send you anything. You have to look it yourself using a free website called creditkarma.com. It shows you your entire credit history and credit score. And within the credit report you can see 'credit inquiries'. That's ghow you can see if CREDCO did an inquiry on you.
Great, thanks for the info!

Is there a cut? When do we find out about making it to the next stage? Or is everyone notified in September?

yes last name starts with R. Got mine checked lol maybe it depends on how early we submitted the application?

Got mine checked June 11th. Submitted my application day before the due date. Last name starts with N

Also got checked same date, R last name, submitted day before it was due.

Did anyone not get it checked that submitted, seems like pretty much everyone that submitted got it checked?

Also got checked same date, R last name, submitted day before it was due.

Did anyone not get it checked that submitted, seems like pretty much everyone that submitted got it checked?
I haven't got mine checked yet according to credit karma. I submitted day of.

Im confused when I called and asked she told me everyone gets their credit checked, but it wasn't like that in years prior. Hmm..

I didnt get checked...and i submitted weeks before the deadline... :(

Question: are all of you APPLYING to dental school this year, or are you beginning dental school this coming August?

Question: are all of you APPLYING to dental school this year, or are you beginning dental school this coming August?

We're starting dental school this coming August or September.

We're starting dental school this coming August or September.

I'm currently a D2. Applying for this for the first time.

Gotcha thank you. Good luck to all you candidates! Dental School is getting more and more expensive, and it's nice to see that people are getting aware of the cost implications.

I myself am strongly looking at the HPSP program. Will be applying for a 4-year with the Army and Navy next year.

Gotcha thank you. Good luck to all you candidates! Dental School is getting more and more expensive, and it's nice to see that people are getting aware of the cost implications.

I myself am strongly looking at the HPSP program. Will be applying for a 4-year with the Army and Navy next year.

Hey thanks very much best of luck to all of you. I absolutely love dental school. Gets better every day.