NHSC APPLICATION 2015/2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey thanks very much best of luck to all of you. I absolutely love dental school. Gets better every day.

What school do you go to? You can PM me if you want your privacy- I'm preparing to apply to dental schools next year and I want to know all the schools that students are happy at.

Members don't see this ad.

What school do you go to? You can PM me if you want your privacy- I'm preparing to apply to dental schools next year and I want to know all the schools that students are happy at.

Forgive me everyone for going off the thread topic to answer this question.

Ohio State University. If you want a brand new school with all the fancy upgrades and amenities.. may not be the place for you, though we are in the process of going completely digital. We got a new dean a few years ago who prides himself on being on the cutting edge of dental education. As an example: We have almost every dental specialty in-house. OSU Medical and Nationwide Children's are pretty elite, and we're now pretty integrated with them with respect to doing surgery and pedo rotations.

I'm amazed at how incredibly gifted our class is. Incredibly intelligent people. Yet, we work together on everything. There isn't really that cut-throat competitive undertone here. Our administration and faculty encourage everyone to teach and learn from one another and work as a team. That's been my experience.

If you are not an Ohio resident, you can gain residency after the first year. Or if you're married and your spouse works, you become an immediate resident. The first year is also cheaper than the following three. I was fortunate enough to use my savings prior to school cover the cost of the first year, which is why I'm applying for the NHSC now.

Columbus is an awesome city. Midwest people are extremely friendly. Cheap to live in. With Ohio State being so gigantic, it has a really youthful feel to it. Tons of festivals, cultural events, etc. Blue Jackets hockey. Crew soccer. And of course, the national championship winning Buckeyes. There's nothing like football Saturday here. I know you don't choose a school for its extracurriculars, but for me it was nice to know that Columbus and Ohio State could provide me a great quality of life outside of dental school.

For me though, it's just been my experience with the faculty. I remember when applying to dental schools hearing all kinds of nightmare stories about elitist and degrading faculty. My instructors have been awesome. They bend over backwards to make themselves available to help students whether they be struggling or trying to take their talents to the next level. I've never felt belittled or humiliated. They're always very constructive and when they do find that you're not grasping something very well, they always make a point seeing that you get a little added attention. I was by no means a wizard with a handpiece prior to dental school (if anything I was below average), but with hard work and lots of faculty help I've seen tremendous improvement. This week I showed my course director an FPD prep I did, and he patted me on the back and said it was the best he'd seen from anyone. Sure I felt really proud of myself, but I attribute that improvement in large part to having great teachers.There's a really good mix of faculty that are heavily research oriented as well as private practice gurus. Most of the books we study from were written by our instructors. I've just really had a great experience. I feel comfortable going to them about just about anything.

I know I only dabbled with a few details here, and I'm sure there are many wonderful programs out there. Ohio State has been a great fit for me so far. I wish you the best as you search for the best fit for you. Let me know if you have other questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Forgive me everyone for going off the thread topic to answer this question.

Ohio State University. If you want a brand new school with all the fancy upgrades and amenities.. may not be the place for you, though we are in the process of going completely digital. We got a new dean a few years ago who prides himself on being on the cutting edge of dental education. As an example: We have almost every dental specialty in-house. OSU Medical and Nationwide Children's are pretty elite, and we're now pretty integrated with them with respect to doing surgery and pedo rotations.

I'm amazed at how incredibly gifted our class is. Incredibly intelligent people. Yet, we work together on everything. There isn't really that cut-throat competitive undertone here. Our administration and faculty encourage everyone to teach and learn from one another and work as a team. That's been my experience.

If you are not an Ohio resident, you can gain residency after the first year. Or if you're married and your spouse works, you become an immediate resident. The first year is also cheaper than the following three. I was fortunate enough to use my savings prior to school cover the cost of the first year, which is why I'm applying for the NHSC now.

Columbus is an awesome city. Midwest people are extremely friendly. Cheap to live in. With Ohio State being so gigantic, it has a really youthful feel to it. Tons of festivals, cultural events, etc. Blue Jackets hockey. Crew soccer. And of course, the national championship winning Buckeyes. There's nothing like football Saturday here. I know you don't choose a school for its extracurriculars, but for me it was nice to know that Columbus and Ohio State could provide me a great quality of life outside of dental school.

For me though, it's just been my experience with the faculty. I remember when applying to dental schools hearing all kinds of nightmare stories about elitist and degrading faculty. My instructors have been awesome. They bend over backwards to make themselves available to help students whether they be struggling or trying to take their talents to the next level. I've never felt belittled or humiliated. They're always very constructive and when they do find that you're not grasping something very well, they always make a point seeing that you get a little added attention. I was by no means a wizard with a handpiece prior to dental school (if anything I was below average), but with hard work and lots of faculty help I've seen tremendous improvement. This week I showed my course director an FPD prep I did, and he patted me on the back and said it was the best he'd seen from anyone. Sure I felt really proud of myself, but I attribute that improvement in large part to having great teachers.There's a really good mix of faculty that are heavily research oriented as well as private practice gurus. Most of the books we study from were written by our instructors. I've just really had a great experience. I feel comfortable going to them about just about anything.

I know I only dabbled with a few details here, and I'm sure there are many wonderful programs out there. Ohio State has been a great fit for me so far. I wish you the best as you search for the best fit for you. Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks to your statement, Ohio State is now on my list of schools to look into. You really gave me what I was looking for with your description of the collaborative faculty-student interactions. I've heard the same things you heard about certain schools having faculty that are really "elitist and degrading," and it's nice to see someone go to bat for their school like you just did. To avoid veering the thread off topic more, I'd love to continue this conversation over PM.

Sorry for the disturbance, everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get checked after the 11th? I didn't get a check, I looked at all three websites. :( I am going for psych NP master's and holding out hope.

Got my credit check on 6/11 as well. Last initial G. Applied pretty close to the deadline. Hope to hear something soon.

I also got my credit checked on 6/11. Fingers crossed!!

I just read this again "each document submitted must include the applicant’s First Name, Last Name, Discipline and last 4 digits of social security number" and realized I completely forgot to do this. Did anyone with a credit check forget? Hope such a stupid mistake didn't disqualify me!

OMG I DID THE SAME THING. Pretty mad at myself. Just called and asked and they said this mistake would not necessarily disqualify us.

This wait is crazy. I was actually doing a pretty good job not obsessing until the last week. I just will feel way better if I get a credit check. I was fortunate enough to qualify to apply to both the NHSC And the NURSE Corps as an incoming MSN-PMHNP student. But this leads me to high expectations... I'm really hoping I get one or the other, but need to prepare myself mentally to not get either one.

In years prior they had multiple credit check days, this year the review period is over in a week and it looks like they've only had 1 credit check. Did anyone happen to call and see if there would be more credit check days?

In years prior they had multiple credit check days, this year the review period is over in a week and it looks like they've only had 1 credit check. Did anyone happen to call and see if there would be more credit check days?

I did ask when I called. The person I spoke with said she couldn't release that info.

I just read this again "each document submitted must include the applicant’s First Name, Last Name, Discipline and last 4 digits of social security number" and realized I completely forgot to do this. Did anyone with a credit check forget? Hope such a stupid mistake didn't disqualify me!

I don't believe I did that... and I got my credit checked on 6/11

Since alphabet and chronology are not accurate predictors of credit checks, what field of study are the lucky ones pursuing? Did they start with Dental? DO? PA? NP? MD? Uff, why is there no apparent pattern yet?!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a PA student. I don't really know if there is a pattern to how they review. All the threads from previous years look like they have tried to figure out a pattern but had no luck. :(

Does anyone know what the percentage of people that get their credit checked get the scholarship?

Reactions: 1 users
Since alphabet and chronology are not accurate predictors of credit checks, what field of study are the lucky ones pursuing? Did they start with Dental? DO? PA? NP? MD? Uff, why is there no apparent pattern yet?!

After spending some time looking over numerous previous year posts it looks like last year there was also only 1 credit check as far as I can see. They kept saying there would be multiple checks but there was only 6/23 last year. All specialties have received the check on 6/11, if you look at the DO 2015/2016 thread and other nursing forums etc it seems as if they didn't start with one medical profession and then go to a different one. As pretty much everything from Dentists, DO, MD, nurses, PAs, etc have heard back in one forum or another.

I am a PA student. I don't really know if there is a pattern to how they review. All the threads from previous years look like they have tried to figure out a pattern but had no luck. :(

Does anyone know what the percentage of people that get their credit checked get the scholarship?

I would be very interested in knowing this stat as well. I wonder if anyone calculated it at any point

Nobody on allnurses has heard back yet... although most of those people are probably applying for NURSE Corps, not NHSC. I applied for both and have not had a credit check. Argh. I am not giving up hope until at least the second week of July.

When do you receive any notification for NHSC?

I believe there was more than one credit check date last year. There were three the prior year. From what I remember, everyone who got the credit check got the scholarship!

Let's hope they will run another check soon!

Reactions: 2 users
I found this rubric after finding a similar post from years past threads:
http://www.grantreviewinfo.net/hrsa/Info.asp?Program=676
Could be that those with higher numerical score are checked first regardless of program. This is just a guess, but it would seem logical that adcoms do similar rankings.

I believe there was more than one credit check date last year. There were three the prior year. From what I remember, everyone who got the credit check got the scholarship!

Let's hope they will run another check soon!

Do you happen to know the dates for the checks last year? The only one I found was 6/23.

Thats exactly what I was gonna say, last year there was 1 check. Except the one student that claimed they got it checked earlier and said it was from the DEPT OF EDU, which was for loans not for the scholarship.

Hi all, the waiting is agony!!!

I'm an adult/gerontology primary care NP student who applied to both the NHSC and NURSE Corp scholarships with disadvantaged background status. My last name begins with "M" and I submitted my applications well before their deadlines. I received a credit check from CREDCO on 6/11. I read in another forum that CREDCO is a third-party company used by DHHS HRSA.

Anyone with similar stats or have a sense when we might find something out? I think someone said they found out that last year notifications were sent around July 24th.

Best of luck to all!

Did your forum change to include a "roles" tab? Like this?

screen-shot-2015-07-09-at-2-57-24-pm-png.193775

I'm a DO applicant so maybe that makes a difference, but I don't have a roles tab. I did have my credit checked on 6/11 though.

It doesn't make a difference, other DO/MD, DMD/DDS, and Nursing students have gotten their portal to update with a roles tab. Some with credit checks some without, go figure what it means lol.

Mine didn't change either, this is from another member in a forum. Some peoples have changed with a credit check others without so its hard to say what it means, but it seems like a good sign anytime you see "participant" as an option lol. Im guessing there won't be any formal rejections till atleast a couple of months since theres a lot of logistics to get done and not all accepted students go through with it.

I'm a md student. I got my credit checked on 6/11. However, no updated portal with roles tab. I submitted close to the deadline. My last name begins with a W. Hopefully, we will know something by next Friday.

So, I haven't received a credit check, and no tab changes. :( Is it safe to say I'm out for this year? Trying not to get my hopes up, but did anyone get accepted after they've done this first round of credit checks, or get accepted with a credit check after their acceptance email? Is there another round after the first week in August?

I never received the credit check, however I logged in and do have "Participant" under the roles tab. No idea what that means...

I don't even have a roles tab, but I did receive a credit check

Hi All, I think I can address the "roles tab" anxiety...I applied to both the NHSC and NURSE Corps scholarships as an NP student and I've had a "roles tab" all along. All it does is allow me to toggle between the two "roles" or applications. Pretty sure it doesn't mean anything and if you don't have this option I wouldn't sweat it.

Reactions: 1 users
That makes sense, but what about all the other non-nursing students that ONLY applied for NHSC scholarship and still have the roles tab? lol

I think I started the roles tab controversy, sorry guys. I really don't think it means anything. It just updated out of the blue for me and I wanted to see if this happened for other applicants. I'm a dmd student and only applied to the nhsc scholarship.

I applied as an MD applicant for the NHSC scholarship (submitted on last day, last name T) and just noticed a Roles tab with Participant as an option. When I click on the link it tells me to activate my account...but then I'm not eligible to access the portal..? Very confusing and mysterious!

I applied as an MD applicant for the NHSC scholarship (submitted on last day, last name T) and just noticed a Roles tab with Participant as an option. When I click on the link it tells me to activate my account...but then I'm not eligible to access the portal..? Very confusing and mysterious!
Did you have your credit checked? Just curious?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing, did you get a credit check? Because if you did I would think its a good sign.

Last year's finalists were notified on July 24th.Well, next Friday is July 24. If this year notifications follow the same pattern, we should know by next Friday. Prayers going up.

Year before that was the 23rd, so I'd say its pretty consistent.

Practicing PA here, jumped ship from the PA forum to this one d/t better response on this forum. I've been following all the NHSC threads over here.

I received a credit check from CREDCO on 7/17/15. Anyone else? I'm hopeful that this is part of an additional round of credit checks.

Good luck everyone.