NHSC Scholarship 2015/2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can apply to the Scholarship Program if you are committed to primary care and accepted to or enrolled in an accredited U.S. school in one of the following primary care disciplines:
  • Physicians (MD or DO)
  • Dentists
  • Nurse Practitioners
  • Certified Nurse-Midwives
  • Physician Assistants
  • Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The scholarship pays tuition, fees, other educational costs, and provides a living stipend in return for a commitment to work at least 2 years at an NHSC-approved site in a medically underserved community.
For each year of financial support (up to four years), the student agrees to serve one year (minimum two years) at an NHSC-approved site in a high-need urban, rural, or frontier community across the nation.
Service begins upon graduation (and completion of primary care residency training for doctors and dentists). The NHSC helps scholars find a practice site that's right for them. When in service, scholars earn a market-rate salary, paid by the employing facility.
Scholarship payments other than the living stipend are federal income tax-free.
The Scholarship Program accepts applications once each year. Applicants chosen to receive the scholarship are notified no later than September 30.

Courtesy of http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/scholarships/index.html

Application guide: http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/downloads/spapplicationguide.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

The NHSC website was down yesterday, thought there gonna be updates to my application status but it is still under review

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1433758154.907379.jpg

http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/downloads/spapplicationguide.pdf

Page 19

Do they notify you by email if you got your credit checked?

I had my credit checked by CREDCO on June 11th but according to the grant review they are reviewing applications from June 16-26, so I am wondering if maybe everyone got their credit run this cycle.

Hello all!

I am a medical student but I can't find the medical student version of the NHSC thread. My credit was also checked! Good luck everyone!

I have not had an inquiry from HRSA according to Credit Karma. :( I'm going for master's-psych NP and applied to both NHSC and NURSE Corps. Best of luck to all.

Just for clarification, they don't have time to review all applications so only those reviewed get credit checks. I was one of those who was never reviewed last year. Keep checking credit karma and if you don't see anything call them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hold on a sec, what do you mean that they don't review all applications? How do you know yours was never reviewed? If I don't see anything on credit karma, what should I say when I call them -- "why haven't I received a credit check yet?" ?

I was told that not everyone's applications even get looked at but all that are reviewed get a credit check. You could call and ask about the process but they'll tell you its under review regardless plus they'll ask how you know that you are supposed to have a credit check by now. I would hold off until the first round of reviews is done because you might get looked at in the second round in about 2 weeks or so.

Checked my credit yesterday and found CREDCO checked my credit on 6/11 also. It doesn't specify HRSA, it just says "miscellaneous".

Checked my credit yesterday and found CREDCO checked my credit on 6/11 also. It doesn't specify HRSA, it just says "miscellaneous".

When you call CREDCO they'll tell you who ran the report, in my case they told me "HRSA"

Mine was also checked by CREDCO. So this is good right?

Still no cred check here, but I do have an option of Participant under the Roles tab in the upper right corner. Does anyone else have this? It's like, if you scroll over Roles, you see NHSC SP Applicant as an option. I also have Participant as an option. I'm wondering if this is some kind of sign, or if everyone has this? Note, I also applied for the NURSE Corps SP and so it could be in reference to that as well.

Still no cred check here, but I do have an option of Participant under the Roles tab in the upper right corner. Does anyone else have this? It's like, if you scroll over Roles, you see NHSC SP Applicant as an option. I also have Participant as an option. I'm wondering if this is some kind of sign, or if everyone has this? Note, I also applied for the NURSE Corps SP and so it could be in reference to that as well.

I don't have a Roles tab on the right hand corner...perhaps it's because you applied for both?

Since I did not receive a credit check by now according to Credit Karma- does that mean I won't even be considered for the scholarship this year?

It seems like they started the credit checks earlier this year than last year. I'm hoping that translates into quicker finalist emails!

Yepp last year it was pretty much a month after the credit checks, lets hope to hear back in a week lol

If you didn't get a credit check does that mean they didn't review your application at all?

They did review your application, at least preliminarily, because they are somehow deciding who to run a credit check on and who not to run the credit check on. It's not arbitrary, they select applicants they are interested in and run credit checks on them. As far as I have gathered from the phone calls i've made there is absolutely no way you will be selected without a credit check, as it is a requirement for the scholarship and to receive funding. So the best bet is to wait for another credit check.

If you didn't get a credit check does that mean they didn't review your application at all?

What is your current status on the applicant portal? Does it say "under review"? But ditto to the poster above. The application guidance says that a credit check will be completed.

What is your current status on the applicant portal? Does it say "under review"? But ditto to the poster above. The application guidance says that a credit check will be completed.
Yup, mine still says under review.

I didn't have an option for Participant under the Roles tab before today but I have it now. Did this update for everyone?

Can you screenshot what this participant and role tab looks like? I don't have any of those tabs on my profile.

Can you screenshot what this participant and role tab looks like? I don't have any of those tabs on my profile.

This is what it updated to today.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 2.57.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 2.57.24 PM.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 478
Thanks a lot! Nope mine hasn't updated yet. You must be special :) lol

Idk I keep trying to play the guessing game but it doesn't make sense, the first person that was updated had no credit check so it can't be an indication that your a finalist if you get the updated screen. However, you did get a credit check so maybe thats exactly what it is. Go figure at this point lmao

I don't have a "roles" tab either. I've had a credit check and I'm a DO student. Not sure how this is playing out.

So has anyone heard anything yet?!
Does any one know if they review the applications in rounds? like will they do another batch of credit score checks?

So has anyone heard anything yet?!
Does any one know if they review the applications in rounds? like will they do another batch of credit score checks?

nope! not yet! hopefully soon! I also have a tab with participant under roles but im not sure if that was there before though and I did not check my credit report so I do not know about that! fingers crossed!

I looked back at older threads from years past and it looks like july 2o something is when they send out the first round of rewards....

Can't stand the wait.......come on finalist emails!!!!!!!!

The wait is agony!!!

I'm an adult/gerontology primary care NP student who applied to both the NHSC and NURSE Corp scholarships with disadvantaged background status. My last name begins with "M" and I applied early well before the deadlines for each application. I received a credit check through CREDCO on 6/11.

Anyone with similar stats? Best of luck to all with the waiting game!

I'm a md student. I got my credit checked on 6/11. However, no updated portal with roles tab. I submitted close to the deadline. My last name begins with a W. Hopefully, we will know something by next Friday. Also , I applied with disadvantaged background.

So it sounds like it is safe to assume that no credit check = no bueno = not a finalist = :(...Is that true?

There was a second round of checks 7/17 from what was written in the other forum, did you happen to check again?

Dang. I checked yesterday, 7/19...nothing.

Check your emails, finalist emails have been sent!

I got one!!!!!! So, what does this mean again? It says we are not guaranteed an award.

We're all emails sent at the same time? credit check on 6/11. Md applicant.