NHSC Scholarship 2015/2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We're all emails sent at the same time? credit check on 6/11. Md applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

DO applicant, credit checked on 6/11. No email so far :(...do they send 1 batch of emails? The next batch will be for next runner-up if not everyone accepts the scholarship?

I got an email today!!!!
Credit Check 6/11, MD Yr 3!
Best wishes to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an email today!
OMS 1 DO student - credit checked on 6/11

I am excited about finally hearing some news, but I have the feeling this is only the beginning of the long process ahead of us in the coming months. Wishing the best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Congratulations to all the new NHSC Scholars!

I spoke with the BHW representative about the finalist process. I received a 6/11 credit check but no finalist email. Here are some key points:

1. Finalist emails were sent out individually. It was not a mass finalist email. I asked the representative if they would be more finalist emails sent out in the initial round. She stated that she didn't know. My gut tells me if we don't receive an email today, we were not in the initial finalist round. In past forums, it appears that every finalist was notified on the same day. However, things may have changed.

2. As previously stated, every year there are people who for various reasons decline the scholarship. The BHW representative informed me that there will be a 2nd round of finalist emails sent. How many? She didn't know. So, stay encouraged! There will be at least a few more finalist selected in the coming weeks!!

3. Not to discourage anybody (because I am in the waiting game too), I asked if we were not selected could we speak with someone who reviewed our application for constructive feedback/criticism. She stated that if not selected, the portal should provide you with a reason of why your application was not selected. I am first time applicant, I can't verify this statement. However, if I am not chosen as scholar, I will reapply and call back in for some type of feedback If not selected, we will be notified by September 30th.

On a personal note: I am 2nd time successful applicant to medical school. Stay encouraged, I am prove of second chances proving successful!!!! I am so ok with buy 1 year of medical school, get 3 years for free. Incoming M1.

Again, congrats to all the new scholars!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi All,

Just to try and help provide some clarification for those in the agonizing waiting period. I had my credit checked on 6/11 and I applied as an NP student with disadvantaged background status. I was notified on 7/21 of my "finalist" status. It seems that this is a final check to make sure that those they're considering are both still interested in funding and enrolled for the fall semester. When you select "yes," you have to provide verification again of Fall 2015 enrollment. Even this is not a guarantee I am told as I still have to wait for final review; however, after this step my status now says "award accepted - under final review."

I truly wish you all the best with funding your education. If I receive notice, I'm happy to let you know my perceptions as to why I was successful.

Best,

Hey everybody! Congrats for the reward to all the nhsc scholarship recipients! Enjoy the next four years of knowing your education is paid for!

To the rest of us....although we do not have our education paid for we have still have a bright future! Thank you everyone for their input and responses on this forum this year and good luck on your upcoming year!

I am a PA applicant/finalist and I received a credit check on 06/11. I applied with a disadvantaged background and received my finalist email on the 21st. I wasn't able to submit my verification documents until yesterday owing to my being out of the country. My status also now says "award accepted - under final review."

I had a different experience than some others when I called the NHSC customer service portal to ask about the significance of my finalist status. The first time I called, the representative told me that she couldn't discuss any statistics and all she could say was that being a finalist meant you had a better chance of getting the award than not being a finalist. I will hold off on my personal opinion of that statement because it isn't very nice.

The second time I called, a different representative was slightly more approachable and told me that being a finalist was a good sign and meant that you had a good chance of being a recipient. When I remarked that students in previous years had been told that being a finalist meant they would be recipients as long as they accepted the award properly, the representative simply laughed and repeated his earlier statement.

Based on forums from previous years, I don't think anything has actually changed with what being a finalist means. I think that they are just being more cautious about stating their policy that an award isn't guaranteed until the contract is signed by both parties. Either that or the representatives enjoyed causing me stress.

So how long does it normally take for them to countersign the contract?

I am a PA applicant/finalist and I received a credit check on 06/11. I applied with a disadvantaged background and received my finalist email on the 21st. I wasn't able to submit my verification documents until yesterday owing to my being out of the country. My status also now says "award accepted - under final review."

I had a different experience than some others when I called the NHSC customer service portal to ask about the significance of my finalist status. The first time I called, the representative told me that she couldn't discuss any statistics and all she could say was that being a finalist meant you had a better chance of getting the award than not being a finalist. I will hold off on my personal opinion of that statement because it isn't very nice.

The second time I called, a different representative was slightly more approachable and told me that being a finalist was a good sign and meant that you had a good chance of being a recipient. When I remarked that students in previous years had been told that being a finalist meant they would be recipients as long as they accepted the award properly, the representative simply laughed and repeated his earlier statement.

Based on forums from previous years, I don't think anything has actually changed with what being a finalist means. I think that they are just being more cautious about stating their policy that an award isn't guaranteed until the contract is signed by both parties. Either that or the representatives enjoyed causing me stress.

Got my finalist status on 21st as well, hoping for the best for everyone else. I'm still holding my breath until it's official :)!

Reactions: 1 users
FWIW, I did not receive a credit check and got the finalist email 7/21/2015.

Question for other finalists. When you submitted your acceptance with electronic signature, and when you look at your contract now, do you see your signature on the contract pdf? I thought I signed it, but the "Applicant Name" and "Applicant Signature" fields are empty

FWIW, I did not receive a credit check and got the finalist email 7/21/2015.

Question for other finalists. When you submitted your acceptance with electronic signature, and when you look at your contract now, do you see your signature on the contract pdf? I thought I signed it, but the "Applicant Name" and "Applicant Signature" fields are empty

The final page (page 3) of the contract will show that you electronically signed the contract even though it won't show up above. It also says that "each signature below applies to the appropriate location on the document, identified by role." I think this indicates that the counter-signature from the NHSC will also be an electronic signature.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when we might receive an actual guarantee of funding after electronically signing the contract?

Does anyone know when we might receive an actual guarantee of funding after electronically signing the contract?

I was looking at last year's thread and it seems like the countersignature came out on Aug 21. The countersignature is already binding but they didn't send out the official welcome emails until Sept. 3.

Anyone start receiving countersignatures? That's all I care about at this point!! Or does anyone know if a second round of finalist emails were sent?

Hey All! The NHSC website is scheduled to be down for maintenance this Saturday, August 15 from 7AM - 5PM EST. Apparently this happened last year and once the site was back up and running, participants' portals had been updated!

Gah. Portal is back up but no change to Finalist status and also no countersignature. Anyone else?

Has anyone received ANY updates at all? Any countersignatures? Emails??? Talked to any reps? The wait is agonizing!

I just saw that over on the pre-dental thread, folks were getting countersignatures. I'd assume that means they're doing them in batches by specialty?

I'm a PA student (but also have been following/posting on the pre-dental thread). I received my countersignature earlier this afternoon. I called to see if I could get anything out of one of the HRSA reps in regards to the likelihood of actually receiving the scholarship once we obtain a countersignature...but got nothing...she was like a stone wall!

Any finalists not get countersigned today? Cuz I didn't

Any finalists not get countersigned today? Cuz I didn't
I didn't either...I'm in med school so I hope it's just because of how they group people? Or honestly it might be because they just have to get through batches like they do when sending out finalist emails...that's what I'm hoping anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't either...I'm in med school so I hope it's just because of how they group people? Or honestly it might be because they just have to get through batches like they do when sending out finalist emails...that's what I'm hoping anyway.
Dental student here. Just went through some of the past years threads and it looks like some people took a while to get countersigned, which is hopefully good news!

Reactions: 1 user
Med student - still no counter signature.

Hoping that they are just doing it in batches. Seems like all the dental students received their signatures like others have said, so maybe they will do MD and DO students in a separate group. I'm definitely hopeful since it looks like there are quite a few of us med students who haven't had the contract counter-signed

Have ANY Med students received a signature yet?

Last edited:
I'm an OMS-II and I received a countersignature today.

Hey guys--turns out I DID get a countersignature. It's under your electronic signature on the contract at the very very bottom, not in the actual signature block. I'm a med student...not a rocket scientist!

Countersigned Today At 10am. I guess they do have a lot of contracts to sign, but being patient has been hard haha!

YAY! My contract was counter-signed today as well!

Glad to see so much positive news on the forums. Looks like they are just taking the time to get through all of the finalists, so my guess is that if you received a finalist email but haven't received your signature yet it might just take some time for them to make it to yours.

Did everyone else that got countersigned get their award email?

Congrats everyone!!!!

Congrats to all award recipients. I am a second year medical resident and received the scholarship during all four years of medical school. If anyone has questions feel free to ask!

Do you get to choose where you serve?