NHSC Scholarship 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 204 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 40 12.9%
  • Already got it!

Votes: 31 10.0%

• Total voters
My portal is updated to participant from applicant. Your "welcome kit" including your award letter is under "my service information" link.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
My portal is updated to participant from applicant. Your "welcome kit" including your award letter is under "my service information" link.

When you logged in did you still click “applying for the NHSC scholarship program”?

Members don't see this ad :)
got the award notification!!! do we need to do anything as of now

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When you logged in did you still click “applying for the NHSC scholarship program”?
yes, and at first it said, applicant page is no longer available, and asked me to change my role to participant to access participant portal.

If you are a participant, you no longer need to click on “applying for the NHSC scholarship program”. You can go directly to " A participant in a loan Repayment or Scholarship Program."

Attachments

• Participant.PNG
    Participant.PNG
    30.2 KB · Views: 97
If you are a participant, you no longer need to click on “applying for the NHSC scholarship program”. You can go directly to " A participant in a loan Repayment or Scholarship Program."

When I click on that option, it says I need to register for the role
When I go into the scholarship one it still shows what it did before even though I got my countersignature Tuesday

When I click on that option, it says I need to register for the role
When I go into the scholarship one it still shows what it did before even though I got my countersignature Tuesday
Makes two of us. I think we just gotta wait it out and hope it's official but tomorrow.

One thing I noticed is that "award date" is shown as September 7th, which is the date I received my countersignature, not today. So I'm guessing that countersignature = award.

Hopefully more counter signatures go out today 😳

Reactions: 6 users
Hopefully more counter signatures go out today 😳
I have a feeling they'll come out more in batches every week. That's what I'm telling myself anyways. Nothing to back that up; so, take it with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
it almost seems as if everyone who applied this year got the finalist email. Does anyone know of anyone who hasnt? I know they had more funding, but I’m wondering if they did things differently this year.

it almost seems as if everyone who applied this year got the finalist email. Does anyone know of anyone who hasnt? I know they had more funding, but I’m wondering if they did things differently this year.
I've been looking into the FY budgets because I've been curious - their typical budget has ranged from the $350-400 million dollar range. Due to the American rescue plan they secured an ADDITIONAL $800 million, which means they could add many more finalists this year than in previous years.

I imagine they have at least doubled their awardees. Also good to keep in mind that by now most folks have been notified of their status so those who are finalists are probably the ones lurking around here waiting like myself.

Reactions: 2 users
People aren't as likely to come on forums to state they didn't receive the award. NHSC is historically competitive, and I'm sure it remains so. We were selected because of the strength of our applications, not arbitrarily. Be proud of yourselves guys. We got this because we deserve it!

Reactions: 6 users
Countersignature today by Jamie King Sep 10, 2021, 1:30:41 PM!!!!!!!!

Submitted everything on the 13th late at night, no re-submission.

I hope everyone who is a finalist gets a signature soon!!!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Signed by Jamie King an hour ago. I can't believe this may be real!

• Care
Countersignature today by Jamie King Sep 10, 2021, 1:30:41 PM!!!!!!!!

Submitted everything on the 13th late at night, no re-submission.

I hope everyone who is a finalist gets a signature soon!!!
Same.. Submitted it the night before it was due. 13th 11PM I believe.

I also was signed!! What a relief going into the weekend!

• Care
P.S. For people going through this next year (at least in the case of my school) everyone who were finalists at my school received the countersignature same day(but at different times)

Countersigned 1:57 PM!!! Anyone else cry of relief? Just me? 😅

• Care
Signed as well at 11:54 AM! I’m glad cause I was already thinking of terrible memes to make about Jamie king leaving so many of us on read 😅

Solidarity with anybody still waiting.

• Haha
P.S. For people going through this next year (at least in the case of my school) everyone who were finalists at my school received the countersignature same day(but at different times)
Yup, I second this statement!

Alright guys, random question:

How do they reimburse you for tools/books? I obviously paid for these already and it says they reimburse you. Is it just based on the school’s website or do you submit receipts?

Alright guys, random question:

How do they reimburse you for tools/books? I obviously paid for these already and it says they reimburse you. Is it just based on the school’s website or do you submit receipts?

I believe they just give us all a lump sum for those expenses. One of my friends got it last year and they give you a large payment in November with the funds for those things, plus the few months of living stipend we should have gotten

got my countersignature at 1:57!!!! so happy!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Maintenance tomorrow: "from 8:00 AM to approximately 12:00 PM ET on Saturday, September 11th, 2021!"

Most likely for portal change and more countersignatures for those who are still waiting!

does anyone know what we’re supposed send to our school after we get the scholarship?

does anyone know what we’re supposed send to our school after we get the scholarship?

When your portal changes, there is a PDF that you send to your school with instructions for them. I emailed that plus my award letter to the financial aid office

I believe they just give us all a lump sum for those expenses. One of my friends got it last year and they give you a large payment in November with the funds for those things, plus the few months of living stipend we should have gotten
Thank you! I hope so. :)

Signature today at 1:47 pm. Had to resubmit on 8/30. They're still sending them out. 2nd year dental.

I've been looking into the FY budgets because I've been curious - their typical budget has ranged from the $350-400 million dollar range. Due to the American rescue plan they secured an ADDITIONAL $800 million, which means they could add many more finalists this year than in previous years.

I imagine they have at least doubled their awardees. Also good to keep in mind that by now most folks have been notified of their status so those who are finalists are probably the ones lurking around here waiting like myself.
This article says additional 900 million 😱 so much room for scholarships and such a great year to apply!!! HRSA receives $900 million to support loan repayment, scholarships

At my school, we all received ours this week but different days!

Like this if you’re still waiting for a countersignature!

Long time lurker here... I'm in shock and disbelief. I was countersigned yesterday at 11:57 am!

I stopped checking it as frequently, after seeing so many finalists receiving awards on here, to avoid the disappointed sigh when I re-opened my contract to see only my signature. I decided to comment here to share my experience as it took me 3 application cycles to get to this point, so if you don't get it, try and try again!

I'm a D2 who had to take a leave of absence during my first year (hence 3 cycles instead of 2). I don't recall the specific dates I submitted things but I did have to resubmit my W-4 towards the end of August.

Anyhow, I'm just so dang thrilled (although I'm holding my breath until I receive an official email / invite to the participant portal).

Congrats to everyone who has received the award and keep the faith for those of you awaiting a countersignature.

Last edited:
This is the same anxiety that people have every year and those representatives don’t actually know anything. They read off a script and just aren’t authorized to confirm anything. That phrasing is sprinkled in there to save them if something unusual happens and they can’t offer it to you. If you are a finalist, chances are 99%+ that you’ll get it.
Looks like you were right about most finalists getting a countersignature

I’m assuming I have to return all loan money my school gave me for living/other costs. Does anyone know when we do this? Kinda hard to pay rent for October and November if it’s before we receive the ORC/stipend

I’m assuming I have to return all loan money my school gave me for living/other costs. Does anyone know when we do this? Kinda hard to pay rent for October and November if it’s before we receive the ORC/stipend
What I found in the program guidance:

"Loans. If a new NHSC scholar has taken out a student loan to cover the cost of tuition and fees for their summer and/or fall semester(s) while waiting for notice of an NHSC SP award, the scholar should supply an itemized invoice from the academic institution to the NHSC SP showing the amount of tuition and fees paid for with the student loan. The NHSC SP will pay that amount to the academic institution to cover the tuition costs covered by the loan. After the fall 2021 semester, the NHSC SP will not pay tuition costs covered by any student loans."

Any loan amount refunded to you in excess of your tuition is always yours to keep. My guess is we'll get refunded the tuition amount by our school and will be able to pay the loan off with that $. But yeah it's super tight for the next month and a half or so. Personally my plan is to open up a credit card that has a 0% interest deal to cover my living expenses until we get paid.

"Loans. If a new NHSC scholar has taken out a student loan to cover the cost of tuition and fees for their summer and/or fall semester(s) while waiting for notice of an NHSC SP award, the scholar should supply an itemized invoice from the academic institution to the NHSC SP showing the amount of tuition and fees paid for with the student loan. The NHSC SP will pay that amount to the academic institution to cover the tuition costs covered by the loan. After the fall 2021 semester, the NHSC SP will not pay tuition costs covered by any student loans."

Any loan amount refunded to you in excess of your tuition is always yours to keep. My guess is we'll get refunded the tuition amount by our school and will be able to pay the loan off with that $. But yeah it's super tight for the next month and a half or so. Personally my plan is to open up a credit card that has a 0% interest deal to cover my living expenses until we get paid.
Wait ours to keep? As in the refund from the school? I think I have to send that back which would be the tight part considering I already spent it on rent, tools, books, etc.☹️

Also look into 0% balance transfers. Some credit cards (WF/Discover) send the money to your bank to “cover the other credit card debt”. I’ve had to do that in the past and it’s a lifesaver. Same idea as a 0% interest credit card but the actual cash is helpful for things like rent, bills that require it be through bank account, etc.

Wait ours to keep? As in the refund from the school? I think I have to send that back which would be the tight part considering I already spent it on rent, tools, books, etc.☹️
Reach out to your financial aid office at your school. At mine, they help you with this process and even work with you to give you extra time to pay back the funds until the NHSC payments hit your account. They have likely had students in the same situation in the past at your school too

Does anyone know the approximate amount of the stipend that will be receiving in Nov especially and then each month?