NHSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nerfornothin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else apply for the NHSC scholarships? Don't think I've filled out anything like that since psych 101. Just hoping I can get to the interview stage so I can tell a living breathing person that I'm interested rather than just bubbling my heart to the scan-tron machine. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I filled out the application but did not submit it because I got into a school that for me was inexpensive enough not to need the scholarship.

Definitely a fairly strange application. I know there is at least one SDN member that is a medical student (an osteopathic school I believe) on the NHSC scholarship but I can't remember the username.

Good luck with everything....

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I also applied. I got a letter last week saying my app is complete. I'm just hoping I meet their criteria. If not, I guess I'll apply year after year!! I'm planning on going into psych with it. You?

I was seriously considering applying for the NHSC Scholarship. However, several physicians I encountered during my interviews strongly discouraged me. They reminded me it is very difficult for a person like me to committ to the NHSC Program before starting medical school. During medical school, simply too many students change their minds about specialties and so forth.

Nevertheless, KUDOS to you all if you already know primary care is the field for you and you wish to receive the NHSC Scholarship. I know I certainly could not committ to a field like that at this point in my life. Good luck to you all! You are truly committed individuals.

Hoping to do Internal Med but I'm really not sure. Being unsure worries me a bit. There's not a whole lot of flexibility in what you can go into. Overall though I like the the program's general philosophy.

That's awesome that you want to go into psych. I'm sure that the NHSC sites offer some rewarding challenges in that field. Mental health is certainly something that has been traditionally overlooked in the underserved.

Still haven't got the application complete card. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow to make sure they have everything. I think the deadline is the 29th.

I applied too. The application was definitely reminiscent of those extra-credit surveys I filled out in Intro Psych. I couldn't believe that there were no essays or recommendations involved. The whole process seems pretty random. Oh, and they seemed to have lost my verification of acceptance form, so I called my med school today and had them resend it. Hopefully they get it the mail by Friday. By the way, I want to do family practice.

Very cool. A couple of weeks ago I looked on their website jst to see potential places where I could work (at least as of now). Many, many open spots, and they're not all in very rural areas or Indian reservations. I saw spots in San Antonio, Birmingham, even my home town Tucson. There was even a spot in Pago Pago, American Samoa..although I can't say I'd want to go there. I like the flexibility in that you have a choice in which avaiable spot you'd like to serve.

I know I could probably find this if I did a bit more digging on their website but I'm feeling lazy so...

Are you eligible to work at any site or are you limited to the sites in the state in which you go to med school? Or am I just completely off and it works in some other totally different way?

CA: I was really sure I wanted to apply before interviews but ran into the same thing with interviewers telling me I would change and so forth. Shook me up a bit too.

Scottie: Definitely a random process. Just hope I "correlate highly" with previous successful applicant profiles.

Yes, you are eligible to work at any site although of course some sites are more attractive than others and hence more competitive.

If you are not "hired" by one of the sites before a certain date in your last year of residency, the NHSC will assign you to the site with the highest priority on their list for your specialty.