You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
NHSC 2023-2024
Started by newolduser
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Still nothing on my endAnyone gotten a credit check yet or still nothing?
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but you can apply for more loans if the stipend alone is not enough. The stipend is taxed, so there is a high chance you might need to take out more loans if you are living in the city, have dependents, shopping addiction... etc. 🙂How does the stipend work? Do we recieve the stipend on top of the loans we get for living expenses?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Still haven’t heard anything but are anyone else’s loans changing servicers and dropping your credit score like 80-100 points until everything updates? Of course it would happen the same month as them checking lol I figure it’s not a problem but still has me stressed
Still haven’t heard anything but are anyone else’s loans changing servicers and dropping your credit score like 80-100 points until everything updates? Of course it would happen the same month as them checking lol I figure it’s not a problem but still has me stressed
Same thing happened to me, except the change is smaller since I have a large credit history. No sweat though. They are looking for signs you have defaulted on financial commitments, not your FICO credit score.
From the NHSC Scholarship Application Guide:
(1) History of honoring prior legal obligations. The NHSC will perform a hard inquiry with the
credit bureaus prior to making the award decision. NHSC SP applicants who do not have a
history of honoring prior legal obligations, as evidenced by one or more of the following
factors, may be prohibited from selection as a scholar:
a. Default on any federal payment obligations (e.g., Department of Education student loans,
Health Education Assistance Loans, Nursing Student Loans, Federal Housing
Administration Loans, federal income tax liabilities, federally guaranteed/insured loans
(e.g., student or home mortgage loans)).
b. Any non-federal payment obligations (e.g., court- ordered child support payments or state
tax liabilities) even if the applicant is currently considered to be in good standing by that
creditor.
c. Write-offs/charge-offs of any federal or non-federal debts as uncollectible, or waiver of
any federal service or payment obligation.
d. Default on a prior service obligation to the federal government, a state or local
government, or other entity, even if the applicant subsequently satisfied that obligation
through service, monetary payment or other means.
e. Judgment liens arising from federal debt.
f. Failure/refusal to provide appropriate permission/consent for the NHSC to access the
scholar’s credit report and failure/refusal to unfreeze a frozen creditreport."
"
Soooo here's some info from last year's thread, looks like the finalist notifications have gone out the 1st/2nd week of Aug with the exception of COVID year. Usually the site goes down a day or two before finalist notifs come out and there are multiple rounds of finalists. I think for the most part if you're chosen as a finalist you are 99% guaranteed the scholarship.
2022 timeline
-credit check 6/20
-site maintenance 8/6
-first finalist notifications 8/8
Previous Finalist Notifications
-2022: Monday, August 8
-2021: Monday, August 9
-2020: Wednesday, August 19
-2019: Tuesday, August 6
-2018: Wednesday, August 8
-2017: Friday, August 4
-2016: Wednesday, July 27
-2015: Tuesday, July 21
2022 timeline
-credit check 6/20
-site maintenance 8/6
-first finalist notifications 8/8
Previous Finalist Notifications
-2022: Monday, August 8
-2021: Monday, August 9
-2020: Wednesday, August 19
-2019: Tuesday, August 6
-2018: Wednesday, August 8
-2017: Friday, August 4
-2016: Wednesday, July 27
-2015: Tuesday, July 21
Following! Still nothing. No credit checks. Checked yesterday and the day before.
seems like it gets delayed every yearSoooo here's some info from last year's thread, looks like the finalist notifications have gone out the 1st/2nd week of Aug with the exception of COVID year. Usually the site goes down a day or two before finalist notifs come out and there are multiple rounds of finalists. I think for the most part if you're chosen as a finalist you are 99% guaranteed the scholarship.
2022 timeline
-credit check 6/20
-site maintenance 8/6
-first finalist notifications 8/8
Previous Finalist Notifications
-2022: Monday, August 8
-2021: Monday, August 9
-2020: Wednesday, August 19
-2019: Tuesday, August 6
-2018: Wednesday, August 8
-2017: Friday, August 4
-2016: Wednesday, July 27
-2015: Tuesday, July 21
Soooo here's some info from last year's thread, looks like the finalist notifications have gone out the 1st/2nd week of Aug with the exception of COVID year. Usually the site goes down a day or two before finalist notifs come out and there are multiple rounds of finalists. I think for the most part if you're chosen as a finalist you are 99% guaranteed the scholarship.
2022 timeline
-credit check 6/20
-site maintenance 8/6
-first finalist notifications 8/8
Previous Finalist Notifications
-2022: Monday, August 8
-2021: Monday, August 9
-2020: Wednesday, August 19
-2019: Tuesday, August 6
-2018: Wednesday, August 8
-2017: Friday, August 4
-2016: Wednesday, July 27
-2015: Tuesday, July 21
Bless you for all this research
thank you for this!!!Soooo here's some info from last year's thread, looks like the finalist notifications have gone out the 1st/2nd week of Aug with the exception of COVID year. Usually the site goes down a day or two before finalist notifs come out and there are multiple rounds of finalists. I think for the most part if you're chosen as a finalist you are 99% guaranteed the scholarship.
2022 timeline
-credit check 6/20
-site maintenance 8/6
-first finalist notifications 8/8
Previous Finalist Notifications
-2022: Monday, August 8
-2021: Monday, August 9
-2020: Wednesday, August 19
-2019: Tuesday, August 6
-2018: Wednesday, August 8
-2017: Friday, August 4
-2016: Wednesday, July 27
-2015: Tuesday, July 21
Check credit karma or any credit bureau that you are with. It should state that a hard inquiry was done. You credit score will also drop and i'm not talking by a point or 2. More like 15-20 if not more it depends.So how do we know whether or not we got a credit check?
Wait what do you mean my credit score will drop?Check credit karma or any credit bureau that you are with. It should state that a hard inquiry was done. You credit score will also drop and i'm not talking by a point or 2. More like 15-20 if not more it depends.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
kosmonauvt
Full Member
I got a credit inquiry today but it says it’s from the Department of Education… is it more likely this was for Grad Plus Loan? Is the inquiry explicitly from NHSC?
Wait what do you mean my credit score will
inquiries aren’t good for your credit. If you get an inquiry especially from the NHSC it’s considered a “hard inquiry” which would cause your credit score to drop. But it will eventually go back up overtime. Same with buying a house/car/etc…Wait what do you mean my credit score will drop?
That’s not from the NHSC. Thats for your grad plus loans. I got one too.I got a credit inquiry today but it says it’s from the Department of Education… is it more likely this was for Grad Plus Loan? Is the inquiry explicitly from NHSC?
Hi current scholarship recipient here. Your credit check will show up as"NHSC LRP/SP/HRSA", and it'll be on your credit report for 2 yrs. Unless you plan if financing some large purchase in the coming months, it's not that dramatic of a drop IMO. My credit score is still around the same as it was 2 years ago when they did my credit check. My loan disbursements and credit card usage probably impacts my credit score more than this credit check did lol. Hope that helps
Wait I don't think I understand. Not every applicant gets a credit score check?Hi current scholarship recipient here. Your credit check will show up as"NHSC LRP/SP/HRSA", and it'll be on your credit report for 2 yrs. Unless you plan if financing some large purchase in the coming months, it's not that dramatic of a drop IMO. My credit score is still around the same as it was 2 years ago when they did my credit check. My loan disbursements and credit card usage probably impacts my credit score more than this credit check did lol. Hope that helps
Nop. I'm a reapplicant. I didn't get a credit check last year. I believe most of the people that do end up getting it. That's why everyone is waiting.Wait I don't think I understand. Not every applicant gets a credit score check?
FYI, the nhsc portal is down! Credit checks soon? Hopefully, everyone in this thread gets it!
medaspiring777
New Member
Does anyone know what credit bureau they use or if they do all 3 etc?
i think you could use either experian or credit krama among others!Does anyone know what credit bureau they use or if they do all 3 etc?
nothing yet! what program is everyone in? i know this is under pre-medical, but i'm applying for dental.
im a 3rd year dental student....i wish i tried applying before i started.nothing yet! what program is everyone in? i know this is under pre-medical, but i'm applying for dental.
dentalnothing yet! what program is everyone in? i know this is under pre-medical, but i'm applying for dental.
kosmonauvt
Full Member
They sure are taking their sweet time with credit checks this year huh 🤔
medaspiring777
New Member
Manifesting we all get a credit check soon!!!
Has anyone heard back from the yet??Hey everyone!
The NHSC app opened today. Didn't see a new thread for it so thought I'd start one myself. Is anybody else applying? Looks like they went from 3 essays to just 1 this year.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
im guessing no :/Has anyone heard back from the yet??
graymatters
Full Member
20 days past last year's credit checks, how are we feeling?
bigbaby2023
New Member
Just patiently waiting… of course I’m not checking this thread and my credit report every hour 😅
im in the same boat. trying to stay positive
There's another nursing forum that also has their users waiting anxiously for their credit check. We're all in this together!
This year it seems they changed some pretty big things on this application, and announced they had increased resources for more scholarships.
Maybe they're trying to be more conservative with checking credit on finalist only.
Regardless it looks like we won't have much longer to wait for them to announce semi finalist at this rate hehe.
This year it seems they changed some pretty big things on this application, and announced they had increased resources for more scholarships.
Maybe they're trying to be more conservative with checking credit on finalist only.
Regardless it looks like we won't have much longer to wait for them to announce semi finalist at this rate hehe.
I asked during one of their Q&A sessions and they said they accepted it!I recently got offered a spot to do a dual degree (masters & MD), does any know how dual degrees work with the scholarship?
- both degrees would be completed in four yrs at no additional tuition cost
Not sure if this is significant, but the site is scheduled for maintenance tomorrow
graymatters
Full Member
I believe they had site maintenance a day or two before initial notifications last year, but I’m not sure if it’s just a coincidence.Not sure if this is significant, but the site is scheduled for maintenance tomorrow
they're really taking their time this year. still nothing
graymatters
Full Member
Have you seen anything on that nursing forum?This text got my hopes up today - thanks Disover 🥺
anything today for you guys? still under review after the maintenance /:
Have you seen anything on that nursing forum?
The nursing forum reported that some people were given credit checks late June /early July this year. They also stated that in previous years winners were credit checked in August and still were winners. Who knows.
congrats!!! which program are you in?The nursing forum reported that some people were given credit checks late June /early July this year. They also stated that in previous years winners were credit checked in August and still were winners. Who knows.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congrats!!! which program are you in?
I did not get a credit check. I am matriculating to an MD program this fall. Just stalking other healthcare forums ha.
Is the NHSC portal down for anyone else? Went on to check the status and the site is down.
do you happen to know what the nursing forum is called? trying to see what they have saidThe nursing forum reported that some people were given credit checks late June /early July this year. They also stated that in previous years winners were credit checked in August and still were winners. Who knows.
The nursing forum I've found that I think everyone is talking about is for the Loan Repayment program, not the NHSC/HRSA Scholarship. I might be wrong, but I think that's a totally different application process/program. People applying for that are licensed providers and working currently, I believe. Hope this helps!do you happen to know what the nursing forum is called? trying to see what they have said
NHSC Loan Repayment 2023 Cycle
I havent seen a forum for this years cycle of NHSC LRP so I decided to start one. I am getting anxious. By this time last year alot of people had seen credit ch...
The nursing forum I've found that I think everyone is talking about is for the Loan Repayment program, not the NHSC/HRSA Scholarship. I might be wrong, but I think that's a totally different application process/program. People applying for that are licensed providers and working currently, I believe. Hope this helps!
![]()
NHSC Loan Repayment 2023 Cycle
I havent seen a forum for this years cycle of NHSC LRP so I decided to start one. I am getting anxious. By this time last year alot of people had seen credit ch...allnurses.com
There's also separate one titled "2023 HRSA Nurse Corps Scholarships" (edit the one I referenced earlier) but you're right, they are NOT the same NHSC scholarship programs as the one being discussed in the thread! My apologies for not being more clear. In past years the timelines have been simialr to the NHSC SP - but perhaps not this year.
I was going to do more research and check if the site maintaince days lined up with the notification of finalist it for the Loan Repayment program or the nursing scholarship program, but alas life got in the way.