Nightmare: my job won't let me interview for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Signifier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a teacher with Teach for America. My district contract says that I get 6 personal days, and they can only be for extreme stuff- death, birth, quarantine (QUARANTINE) or "business that can only be handled that one day, but must be signed off on by the Superintendent."

This wouldn't have been a problem last year, where I was at a dysfunctional school and no administration really minded if you left (I took a personal day to visit and observe at another school, for instance).

But this year, I was transferred to a high-performing school with a cut-throat, super "coach-like" principal who works by the books, all the time. I asked her, early on, if I could take a day to go to a friend's wedding (to test the waters) and she refused as it's not in contract.

It looks like I have two options: decline a lot of interview offers and only go to the top, top ones by using up sick days... or try to go to them all, miss a lot of work, and generate a toxic environment. I never thought I'd be upset to get interview offers. But it seems that each one will bring with it a lot of stress. I'm not sure what to even say... I imagine my principal will not be happy with me desiring to leave after my first year to become a doctor.

(BTW: I can't just quit my job, as I have a lot of debt and I also need medical coverage which my school provides.)

Sorry for mind-dumping on these forums- feel free to coolstorybro me etc., but if anyone can provide just a word of advice, I wouldn't mind that either.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered another school transfer? It seems like it's not the program that's holding you back but the administrative staff.

You are gonna have to quit sometime once you are accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be frank I'd rather create a 'toxic environment' with my job than refuse to go to interviews.
Are 'sick days' included in the 6?

So no teachers at your school are ever allowed to take any days off for any reason unless they are sick/dying? How do they manage to keep good staff?

Anyways - clearly if you're trying to become a doctor, you're not planning on staying at this school forever, I'd say its pretty clear which decision is the right one, even if you have to deal with the repercussions for the rest of the year - the bigger question is if you'll be done with your contract in time to go? This is your first year with TFA?

I am a teacher with Teach for America. My district contract says that I get 6 personal days, and they can only be for extreme stuff- death, birth, quarantine (QUARANTINE) or "business that can only be handled that one day, but must be signed off on by the Superintendent."

This wouldn't have been a problem last year, where I was at a dysfunctional school and no administration really minded if you left (I took a personal day to visit and observe at another school, for instance).

But this year, I was transferred to a high-performing school with a cut-throat, super "coach-like" principal who works by the books, all the time. I asked her, early on, if I could take a day to go to a friend's wedding (to test the waters) and she refused as it's not in contract.

It looks like I have two options: decline a lot of interview offers and only go to the top, top ones by using up sick days... or try to go to them all, miss a lot of work, and generate a toxic environment. I never thought I'd be upset to get interview offers. But it seems that each one will bring with it a lot of stress. I'm not sure what to even say... I imagine my principal will not be happy with me desiring to leave after my first year to become a doctor.

(BTW: I can't just quit my job, as I have a lot of debt and I also need medical coverage which my school provides.)

Sorry for mind-dumping on these forums- feel free to coolstorybro me etc., but if anyone can provide just a word of advice, I wouldn't mind that either.

Go to the interviews. You would be wasting the money you spent on them if you didn't. I'd say these interviews would be considered business that can only be handled that one day. If not just take the sick days. You aren't planning on being there next year anyway. Not that big a deal if the environment is toxic.

Go to the interviews. The toxic-environment will likely have little bearing on your future. Your interviews are a different story.

Couldn't interviews be considered "business that can be handled that one day"?

Maybe plan on your interviews being on a Friday so that would give you Thursday evening to travel and then saturday to travel back.

Quit, get different job, get into med school, profit.

Ha, thank you guys. There is definitely some sage advice already. Let me say a bit more.

Quitting: I want to, because teaching is not for me and this whole business is fairly upsetting. However, there are two main things holding me back. 1) myself- I have a disease which requires health insurance, which I probably wouldn't be able to get at another job right now. And the money a teacher makes, although not "great," is better than anything else I could get right now. 2) My students. I've met some of them already, they are great kids, and if I leave now, all of them will be without a dedicated science teacher for many months. Morally, I can't do it. I obliged myself to teach this year, I simply did not expect interviewing was going to be so difficult.

Contract: this is my second year with TFA and district contracts last a year. When I matriculate to medical school, I will be free of all teaching obligations. Right now, though, it's a different story...

Sick days: I have 6 personal days and 14 "sick days," but my boss also gave me a lecture this morning after the wedding discussion about how she finds it's best to "push through" a cold or cough and just come in to work. Yay!

Toxicity: yes, I understand that this may be what I have to do. Teaching is so extraordinarily stressful, that to also be looked down upon by my boss and fellow teachers throughout the year will definitely be an unpleasant experience. But it is one I may just have to live through. I've been through worse.

I applied to 24 schools. I have heard back from 5, and 4 have offered me interviews. It looks like I'll have a lot of interviews.

Eh... Baller, ppfize, cali- you're right. Tough times ahead. Keep sharing thoughts/opinions, everyone, I do appreciate them.

Ha, thank you guys. There is definitely some sage advice already. Let me say a bit more.

Quitting: I want to, because teaching is not for me and this whole business is fairly upsetting. However, there are two main things holding me back. 1) myself- I have a disease which requires health insurance, which I probably wouldn't be able to get at another job right now. And the money a teacher makes, although not "great," is better than anything else I could get right now. 2) My students. I've met some of them already, they are great kids, and if I leave now, all of them will be without a dedicated science teacher for many months. Morally, I can't do it. I obliged myself to teach this year, I simply did not expect interviewing was going to be so difficult.

Contract: this is my second year with TFA and district contracts last a year. When I matriculate to medical school, I will be free of all teaching obligations. Right now, though, it's a different story...

Sick days: I have 6 personal days and 14 "sick days," but my boss also gave me a lecture this morning after the wedding discussion about how she finds it's best to "push through" a cold or cough and just come in to work. Yay!

Toxicity: yes, I understand that this may be what I have to do. Teaching is so extraordinarily stressful, that to also be looked down upon by my boss and fellow teachers throughout the year will definitely be an unpleasant experience. But it is one I may just have to live through. I've been through worse.

I applied to 24 schools. I have heard back from 5, and 4 have offered me interviews. It looks like I'll have a lot of interviews.

Eh... Baller, ppfize, cali- you're right. Tough times ahead. Keep sharing thoughts/opinions, everyone, I do appreciate them.

I agree with everybody who posted above. Seriously, people, especially bosses, can be a real pain, and sometimes you just have to ignore their BS. As long as you make sure you plan classes so that the kids won't have any trouble, I would definitely say med school is the priority. I can see why an administrator would be unsympathetic, but that's her problem, not yours.

PS: w.r.t the missed days, make sure that you have things planned ahead of time so that the kids can still get something out of the class instead of just sitting around doing mindless work or chatting.

I don't know what the deal is with TFA and union representation but if you are in a union you need to talk to your representative. Teacher's unions seem to have gotten a bad reputation recently but they will help you figure out what your rights are in this situation. There may be an easy way to diffuse the situation. Also you might consider talking to TFA and AmeriCorps staff. Generally they will side with you and most schools really do not want to lose TFA folks and will go to great lengths to make sure that doesn't happen. I hope it all works out for the best. If nothing comes to fruition you really need to take the advice of all the previous posters.

you know what must be done! hey - you should get someone to impersonate you at work... haha just play'n ;)

congratulations on your interviews. I think you should go to all of them no matter what - don't let anyone hold you back ever.

Members don't see this ad :)
vomiting and diarrhea.... you are going to be suffering from that rather frequently in the coming year.... you'd like to come in but you don't want to risk it.

vomiting and diarrhea.... you are going to be suffering from that rather frequently in the coming year.... you'd like to come in but you don't want to risk it.

LOL! Do people actually go into explicit detail when calling in sick? The most I've ever said is, "I'm not feeling well." I don't know how comfortable I would be telling my supervisor, "Yes, I have explosive diarrhea today...sorry about that!"

LOL! Do people actually go into explicit detail when calling in sick? The most I've ever said is, "I'm not feeling well." I don't know how comfortable I would be telling my supervisor, "Yes, I have explosive diarrhea today...sorry about that!"

You do if your supervisor is a micromanager who expects you to show up with a cold or cough (good way to spread flu, bro).

This is why people doing Teach for America/Americorps merely as resume-padding bothers me. Your students and your coworkers (and your bosses) deserve to have a teacher who is dedicated and who will meet her obligations.

Obviously you can't quit since you signed a contract, but I hope you're super apologetic about all the inappropriate sick days you're about to take...

This is why people doing Teach for America/Americorps merely as resume-padding bothers me. Your students and your coworkers (and your bosses) deserve to have a teacher who is dedicated and who will meet her obligations.

Obviously you can't quit since you signed a contract, but I hope you're super apologetic about all the inappropriate sick days you're about to take...

4 interviews out of a whole year are going to ruin those kids' education.

There is a difference between someone who skips work for the lulz and someone such as the OP who has to take time off for deeply personal reasons.

Maenads, I didn't do TFA as resume padding. Granted, I knew coming into TFA that I'd be leaving in 2 years. I thought that I'd be at the same school for both years and that I could have a bigger impact, but they de-funded the bilingual program that I was the head teacher of, and I had to move.

But go back to my last school and ask any one of the kids that I stayed tutoring for hours after school each day if I was padding my resume. Go ask any of my colleagues who saw me work 90+ hour weeks teaching, tutoring and planning units, lessons, school events.

I am going to contact schools and hopefully find some who are willing to be flexible with interview dates so I can try to schedule for days off.

I feel I am not hurting my kids by missing at most 6-7 days of school, especially because during the year my kids will be taking at least 10 exams which they can take during my absence.

It's mainly my administration, and I suppose I'm just going to have to bite this bullet.

I don't want to make it seem like discussion is over, either. I appreciate all the suggestions and advice I've received here (except from people who presume to know my motivations).

I also work as a Teacher, but I'm fully certified, not through Teach for America. I would just take those sick days, you don't have to tell them you are going to an interview. Once you get accepted at a school that you place higher on your list you can decline interviews at places that may be lower on your list. Use your sick days and have some quality sub plans for your sub (I subbed for a year and half as well). Many things the kids can do without you there and still get what they need. I plan on using sick days for my interviews as well. Ask around and find a good sub to fill in for you when you are gone. Won't create a toxic environment, teachers miss all the time. You get sick, parents get sick, kids get sick, funerals, births all common good excuses. If they confront you about always being sick on Fridays that's what things like NEA are for.

acherymd, thank you. Tough question- do you think it'd be better to not talk about interviewing for medical school? I am planning on doing what you said about declining interviews after an acceptance. So far, 2 of the 4 schools that have offered me interviews are somewhat high on my list.

Sick days: I have 6 personal days and 14 "sick days," but my boss also gave me a lecture this morning after the wedding discussion about how she finds it's best to "push through" a cold or cough and just come in to work.

Try to get that spiel out of her with a tape recorder running. Send it to the CDC and, if applicable, people in the organization who are in charge of health and safety.

People like this, who want to get children ill for their own personal convenience, should get in trouble for it. It's true that kids generally can stand up to a sniffle, but at least one of those kids surely has an elderly or immunocompromised relative... so this policy could actually KILL people. I'm sorry, this just makes me so mad. Your boss is on the side of wrong. This kind of thing proves that she's not in it for the kids' benefit but just wants to cover her own butt.

In the meantime... graphic descriptions of projectile vomiting are gonna have to do. :p

the bigger question is if you'll be done with your contract in time to go? This is your first year with TFA?

This. I thought adcoms frowned on applicants applying to med school when matriculation would cut off other programs/commitments such as a graduate program or TFA. If you do get in, are you going to be done with TFA in time to start med school?

Even if you will be done in time, it's still a tricky situation because you signed a contract with them, and if they fired you for failing to live up to your obligations I'm sure it wouldn't look good to adcoms.

Couldn't interviews be considered "business that can be handled that one day"?

Maybe plan on your interviews being on a Friday so that would give you Thursday evening to travel and then saturday to travel back.

Not all schools interview on Fridays, so that's not really a reliable option.

I agree with the ppl who said interviews are that day business - rescheduling can cause issues, not that schools don't do it, but it can put you in a worse off situation.

Like LizzyM said, you can definitely call in with everything trying to evacuate your body.

Lastly, OP, you mentioned talking about med interviews, I vote no. Two reasons: 1. I'm superstitious and I don't like talking about my super important goals in the middle of trying to get them. 2. It could get back to the evil admin and cause you issues.

:luck:

Their problem, not yours. Go to the interviews, or plan on being a teacher instead of a doctor.

Hmmmm, I know a school administrator wouldn't condone lying now... :smuggrin:

Their problem, not yours. Go to the interviews, or plan on being a teacher instead of a doctor.

:thumbup: exactly, do you want to do teach for america next year or do you want to go to med school. Never assume that since you are getting interviews already that you are going to get in to those schools and that you can afford to be picky about which interviews you choose to attend.

And don't feel bad at all about calling in sick, its not your fault they bully you into not taking your personal days. There is no point in personal days if you can't use them, thats just asking for people to you sick days. Plus that is highly inappropriate for them to suggest you come into work when sick, I don't think the students parents would appreciate that their kids are exposed to someone's germs. There are subs for a reason.

You gotta go to the interviews. TFA is temporary, and you can't risk not gettting into med school.

I get what you are saying here, but I think you're a bit off-base. TFA/AmeriCorps IS resume-padding, though I don't mean it with a negative connotation. They are both temporary programs that encourage further education and training so that your impact can be greater. They know it's not your career. During my AmeriCorps program, there were zero issues taking time off of work for interviews. Though, I was in a medical program. Maybe TFA has more issues with med school since it's a teaching program. If you plan out the days right, you can miss a chunk of days without any real problems (like the OP mentioned taking test days off). This situation sounds more like a problem with the individual administration and not the program itself.

To be clear about one thing: I did sign a contract with Teach for America, and this is my last year (I am second year corps member). At the end of this school year, I will be done with my contractual obligations. The main roadblock at this time, which I hadn't anticipated given my experiences at my last school, was a boss that would be so against me taking time off for any reason.

I am going to go to all the interviews, and figure out all the tricks and techniques I can use to make that a reality. I definitely plan on being a doctor, not a teacher. My work life might be hell for a year, but c'est la vie. Thanks all.

The main roadblock at this time, which I hadn't anticipated given my experiences at my last school, was a boss that would be so against me taking time off for any reason.

Give him the finger, go to your interviews, get accepted and become a doctor.

It is just 4 interviews. For now, heh. I never thought I'd be thinking "please, let me get no more interviews."

I'm pretty sure that being in the public school system will ruin their education more than a teacher skipping out for a few days.

I'm pretty sure that being in the public school system will ruin their education more than a teacher skipping out for a few days.

Ewww... Public schools. That's where all the poor people and minorities go, right?

Seriously, snap back to real life. The public school system is one of the best in the world. The problem is that it expects ridiculously low academic standards of its students. In Texas, the 11th grade End of Course English exam actually tests your comprehension of 3rd grade equivalent reading material. When you expect low standards of students, why would you expect them to do any better than they are doing already? In Asian and African countries, it's the rigor of the examinations that pushes students to do their best. You want a better public school system? Then raise standards. Yes, lots of kids are going to fail at first, but we unfortunately have no other option to fix the system.

Btw, I went to a public high school and received an excellent education there. And I also know of so called "elite" private high schools that pushed out crap graduates.

I also get what you're saying, but the OP isn't being allowed to use the personal days he's supposed to have. It's one thing for a school to have blackout dates, like quite a few schools won't let teachers use personal days during the first three weeks of class or during finals or something which is understandable. That's not what seems to being going on here. I think it's a stretch to imply that he's not dedicated and meeting obligations. The administration has an obligation to treat staff members fairly according to their contract. It doesn't hurt students for a teacher to miss 4 days.

Ewww... Public schools. That's where all the poor people and minorities go, right?

Seriously, snap back to real life. The public school system is one of the best in the world. The problem is that it expects ridiculously low academic standards of its students. In Texas, the 11th grade End of Course English exam actually tests your comprehension of 3rd grade equivalent reading material. When you expect low standards of students, why would you expect them to do any better than they are doing already? In Asian and African countries, it's the rigor of the examinations that pushes students to do their best. You want a better public school system? Then raise standards. Yes, lots of kids are going to fail at first, but we unfortunately have no other option to fix the system.

Btw, I went to a public high school and received an excellent education there. And I also know of so called "elite" private high schools that pushed out crap graduates.

Ok, so you're trying to refute my thoughts on public schools by saying that they have low standards. That was kind of my point. They're an overall failure, but some people manage to succeed on their own merits.

Also why are you bringing "poor people and minorities" into this? You're kind of a douche bag for suggesting that was my issue with public schools.

Ok, so you're trying to refute my thoughts on public schools by saying that they have low standards. That was kind of my point. They're an overall failure, but some people manage to succeed on their own merits.

Also why are you bringing "poor people and minorities" into this? You're kind of a douche bag for suggesting that was my issue with public schools.

Mmm, pots and kettles.

I went a public high school and wrote 11 AP tests, passing most of them with 5's. I did fail one: AP Art Studio (3D) with a 2, but that's because I can't sculpt for crap.

My classmates went to UC's, CSU's, MIT, AF/Naval Academies, Yale, Princeton, and basically any category of college/university you could think of.

Now, in my MS-1 year, one of my HS friends is already a JD.

(A majority of them also matriculated to nearby community colleges.)

Try to get that spiel out of her with a tape recorder running. Send it to the CDC and, if applicable, people in the organization who are in charge of health and safety.

People like this, who want to get children ill for their own personal convenience, should get in trouble for it. It's true that kids generally can stand up to a sniffle, but at least one of those kids surely has an elderly or immunocompromised relative... so this policy could actually KILL people. I'm sorry, this just makes me so mad. Your boss is on the side of wrong. This kind of thing proves that she's not in it for the kids' benefit but just wants to cover her own butt.

In the meantime... graphic descriptions of projectile vomiting are gonna have to do. :p
I agree with this. Signifier, your boss should be reported for encouraging a dangerous and unethical policy, in addition to dealing with the fact that you're going to do what you want regardless.

I have to say it's a bit judgmental to assume as much as you did here about the OP.

Best excuse I ever discovered that never got an argument from the boss is, "Sorry boss, but my hemorrhoids are flaring up! I can't even sit down. I am going to put some Preparation H on it and I will call you later to let you know how I am feeling."

Works like a charm! Nobody ever argued with me or asked for a Doctors note.

I went a public high school and wrote 11 AP tests, passing most of them with 5's. I did fail one: AP Art Studio (3D) with a 2, but that's because I can't sculpt for crap.

My classmates went to UC's, CSU's, MIT, AF/Naval Academies, Yale, Princeton, and basically any category of college/university you could think of.

Now, in my MS-1 year, one of my HS friends is already a JD.

(A majority of them also matriculated to nearby community colleges.)
So you got 5's on 11 AP tests and ended up in Grenada. Something does not compute Superstar.
But what would I know about how the public school system fails to prepare you for the future? I'm a private school grad.:D

Just use your personal days, don't plan any other time off and hope for the best. If you need more time, you've got the sick days. If the principal rages, just play dumb. After all, you called out to protect the kids. Flights might be a problem though. Flying in and out on the red eye is not always an option.

Last edited:
1) For the days I miss, obviously there will be subs, and the subs will have sub plans, or assessments, to put into action. :)

2) "The public school system is one of the best in the world." I honestly have to disagree with this statement, even given my brief involvement. It's among the least organized, most chaotic, and inefficient systems I am aware of. It is resplendently populated with cheaters, losers, apathetic jerks and simply ineffective individuals. That said, there are great schools, there are great teachers, and there are worse school systems in the world; but for the most part, U.S. public education needs a lot of help.

I am not sure what the solution is. All I know is that the problem is far more complex than most people believe.

To your question about talking about the interviews. I don't plan on telling people at my school. Word spreads to quickly and next thing you know you will be having a sit down with the principal. After the fact maybe share where you were accepted and where you are going with the class to show the possibilities.

I can't believe TFA doesn't allow you to go to your interviews.

Tell them you have to go to a doctor's appointment! (agreeing with dmf2682).

It is bit of a stretch but it's technically true that you are seeing a doctor!