SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

NIH funds to pay loans for IMG (US permanent resident)

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by sumina13, Mar 7, 2007.

  1. sumina13

    sumina13 7+ Year Member

    Mar 6, 2007
    this is an odd question, but i figure one of you might just know the answer:

    if u are a US permanent resident, who graduated from school in the UK and completed residency in the US, if you get to do research as a fellow/post-doc, can you get the NIH to pay for your loans??
    The NIH pays for loans for those who do research in an academic hospital and I'm wondering if the same applies for US permanent residents who graduated in medicine abroad and do their residencies in the US.

  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Winged Scapula

    Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

    Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    The NIH website has criteria for the loan repayment plan:

    While it doesn't say anything about citizenship, it does detail the types of loans which are eligible - generally these are US government loans like the Stafford and Perkins. If you have those type of loans, it appears you may be eligible.
  4. sumina13

    sumina13 7+ Year Member

    Mar 6, 2007
    yeap. it looks like one would be eligible, as long as the funds are coming from the US government and the research is being done in a US nonprofit institution.

    other requirements such as having finished the MD degree apply as well. else, it looks like it doesn't matter if one is graduating from school outside the US as long as one the university is not for profit (most schools are) and the participant is a citizen/permanent resident doing research in the US.

Share This Page