NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all,

My friend was approved for LRP under NCATS last night. I applied under NIAID, but haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone else have updates?

I also applied to NCATS and just noticed that my application status changed to "Funded"!!! No email yet though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I'm currently in a 100% not for-profit research position and applying for the LRP for the first time this year. My plan was to start a very small private practice (a few patients a week max) to make extra income.

I found this in the FAQs:
Can I work for a for-profit entity or have a private practice if it is separate from my nonprofit research?
No. Your employment must be with a nonprofit institution.

This seems fairly straightforward but I wanted to see if anyone on here in the LRP program makes any extra income in any way. I of course wouldn't want to do anything to breach the contract if I get a LRP award, but am also eager to start making money after so many years in training.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Can I work for a for-profit entity or have a private practice if it is separate from my nonprofit research?

Hm. I don't know of anyone in this situation, but I would imagine if you work 20 hours or more on research per week and work for a non-profit employer who can certify that, you could do something else for the other 20 hours per week. Or lets say you worked at a research institute for 40 hours per week and had a private practice on the side, I think you actually WOULD be eligible. If you look at some of the other FAQs they talk about split placements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. The FAQ answer threw me off, because I don't really see why I couldn't see a couple patients on the side if I'm 100% research otherwise. I'll look into it further.

Hey all,

My friend was approved for LRP under NCATS last night. I applied under NIAID, but haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone else have updates?

I also applied to NCATS and just noticed that my application status changed to "Funded"!!! No email yet though.

TJenks89 - congrats to your friend for getting funded! And good luck with your application!

MeowDVm - congrats on getting funded!

Still no word for my application. Still says selected. New extramural NEI - Pediatrics. I was selected May 15th for financial review. When were yours selected? Not sure that I can compare the IC timelines, but still curious. As if I didn't check my status all too frequent as is it...

Selected for financial review 5/17 for NHLBI... nothing other than "selected" yet! Fingers crossed.

At what stage does the IBO confirm salary information in this process? My application still says submitted for NIMH renewal.

At what stage does the IBO confirm salary information in this process? My application still says submitted for NIMH renewal.

If it's a renewal, things work a bit differently, though I don't exactly know how. (I had a renewal after my initial LRP but was not renewed again last year, and they changed the application platform so it's hard to go back and see what happened in previous years.)

I believe that your institutional contact confirms your salary and institutional commitment of 50% research time for an initial LRP application at the time of your application (financial review notices go out ~May, which reviews your loan balances, promissory note, etc). I am currently waiting on a renewal to NICHD and was told at the financial review stage back in May that for renewals, they only need your current loan balance since that have all the other info from your initial application.

For those of you who have received renewals on your LRPs, do notices of award typically go out earlier than an initial application? Thanks in advance.

For those of you who have received renewals on your LRPs, do notices of award typically go out earlier than an initial application? Thanks in advance.

Nope, I found out about my renewal at the same time as the initial application (all were mid-August) when I got a renewal. Found out I did NOT get renewed around that same time last year too.

Nope, I found out about my renewal at the same time as the initial application (all were mid-August) when I got a renewal. Found out I did NOT get renewed around that same time last year too.

Thanks - well, I guess I can stop obsessively checking both the application and awardee portal...though I have noticed that my renewal application status changed from "submitted" to "selected" a few days before I received an email for financial review. And I think for my initial contract, the awardee portal allowed me to log on and view my initial contract a few days before I actually received the email confirming the LRP award.

TJenks89 - congrats to your friend for getting funded! And good luck with your application!

MeowDVm - congrats on getting funded!

Still no word for my application. Still says selected. New extramural NEI - Pediatrics. I was selected May 15th for financial review. When were yours selected? Not sure that I can compare the IC timelines, but still curious. As if I didn't check my status all too frequent as is it...

I received financial review email on 5/9 for my renewal application to NICHD. Application still says "selected." I was notified of my initial award on 8/13.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received financial review email on 5/9 for my renewal application to NICHD. Application still says "selected." I was notified of my initial award on 8/13.

Mid August seems to be a good estimation of an answer. I will attempt to refrain from obsessively checking my application status until then... Thanks!

Just logged on to my LRP application site and my status changed from "selected" to "funded"! It was an extramural renewal clinical research LRP application to NICHD. No email yet, but in signing onto my NIH LRP awardee portal, I am seeing the renewal contract reflected. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Just logged on to my LRP application site and my status changed from "selected" to "funded"! It was an extramural renewal clinical research LRP application to NICHD. No email yet, but in signing onto my NIH LRP awardee portal, I am seeing the renewal contract reflected. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Congrats!

Just checked my LRP application—the website says funded!! NICHD, new award. No official email yet. Good luck everyone!

It seems that everyone who has been funded moves from "submitted" to "selected" or am I reading too deeply into the matrix?

Just checked my LRP application—the website says funded!! NICHD, new award. No official email yet. Good luck everyone!

Just received the official notice this morning :) Congrats to you!

It seems that everyone who has been funded moves from "submitted" to "selected" or am I reading too deeply into the matrix?

I believe the switch from "submitted" to "selected" indicates an application was selected for financial review, which typically occurs early- to mid-May.

No change on mine from NHLBI. Anyone else on here an NHLBI person?

Also from NHLBI, my status is still "selected" as well. I got my award notices the last two times in mid-late August, NHLBI is one of the largest NIH divisions so it is usually one of the last to finalize the awards.

Congrats to all those who have received awards for this year!

To update, it sounds like the only IC's that have notified their candidates are NCATS and NICHD. No news from NIAID here, still "selected" on the LRP portal. Any updates from other IC's?

Hi all,

I'm currently in a 100% not for-profit research position and applying for the LRP for the first time this year. My plan was to start a very small private practice (a few patients a week max) to make extra income.

This seems fairly straightforward but I wanted to see if anyone on here in the LRP program makes any extra income in any way. I of course wouldn't want to do anything to breach the contract if I get a LRP award, but am also eager to start making money after so many years in training.

Thanks!

From a strictly technical standpoint, once you are awarded, you do not submit any income-related documents to the LRP, only have to have service verifications from your advisor or someone in your division that is a supervisor as to continuing to work at least 20 hours per week in research as well as loan payment verifications from the loan servicers, documenting that the money they received went to lowering your loan balance each quarter.

Congrats to all those who have received awards for this year!

To update, it sounds like the only IC's that have notified their candidates are NCATS and NICHD. No news from NIAID here, still "selected" on the LRP portal. Any updates from other IC's?

I noticed on twitter that people from NIEHS and NIGMS where also funded. No word from NEI, still "selected".

Funded, got the notification yesterday evening. New award from NIAAA, pediatric research.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone moved from "selected" to "funded" for Health Disparities? Are they usually slower than the others?

First time Pediatric NIMH LRP, just switched to funded last night.

Reactions: 1 users
First time Pediatric NIMH LRP, just switched to funded last night.

Congratulations! It looks like NIMH, NIAAA, NIEHS, NIGMS, NCATS, and NICHD have notified awardees. Let me know if I missed any.

NIAID here -- still no word to my knowledge. I'm starting to sweat. Any other NIAID people waiting to hear back?

NIAID here -- still no word to my knowledge. I'm starting to sweat. Any other NIAID people waiting to hear back?

Yes, also NIAID (CR, 1st Renewal), status still says "Selected" for me. FWIW my first award changed status on 8/10/2016, so I'm expecting they'll announce within the next week or so. I'll come back and update if anything changes, but TBH I'm pretty nervous too. Good luck!

Congratulations! It looks like NIMH, NIAAA, NIEHS, NIGMS, NCATS, and NICHD have notified awardees. Let me know if I missed any.

Yes, also NIAID (CR, 1st Renewal), status still says "Selected" for me. FWIW my first award changed status on 8/10/2016, so I'm expecting they'll announce within the next week or so. I'll come back and update if anything changes, but TBH I'm pretty nervous too. Good luck!

Those are the ICs I know that were funded thus far. I'm starting to sweat it out as well! NEI -- still no word...

Sorry! Should have said- NIMHD

It looks like burner10's status switched to funded for a Pediatric NIMHD LRP last night. Unsure if ICs switch them all at once or if they do it on a rolling basis. Last week I reached out to the LRP center and all they told me was notification are sent out on a rolling basis at the end of the summer (most likely in Aug). It seems that they are experts in vaguely answering specific questions... Hopefully you still have a chance! Good luck!

It looks like burner10's status switched to funded for a Pediatric NIMHD LRP last night. Unsure if ICs switch them all at once or if they do it on a rolling basis. Last week I reached out to the LRP center and all they told me was notification are sent out on a rolling basis at the end of the summer (most likely in Aug). It seems that they are experts in vaguely answering specific questions... Hopefully you still have a chance! Good luck!

I think burner10’s is for pediatric NIMH? I’m hoping! Maybe I’m kidding myself? Anybody heard from NIMHD?

I think burner10’s is for pediatric NIMH? I’m hoping! Maybe I’m kidding myself? Anybody heard from NIMHD?

I am waiting to hear back from NIMHD too. All of my loans are consolidated with the US Department of Education, so I did not get selected for Financial Review and I was not expecting to either, but you never know with our beloved government. At any rate, it seems like being selected for financial review is suggestive and not prescriptive. This is an old post so there are examples, especially from previous years, of people who were selected and not funded. Keep the faith. Good luck!

Still waiting for NHLBI - extramural clinical "first time" - status still "Selected" since May or so. Does anyone know if there are NHLBI people that are not "selected" (still "submitted", etc.)? I am just wondering if everyone's status is "selected"!

Still waiting for NHLBI - extramural clinical "first time" - status still "Selected" since May or so. Does anyone know if there are NHLBI people that are not "selected" (still "submitted", etc.)? I am just wondering if everyone's status is "selected"!
I'm NHLBI too. First time renewal for me. My status still says "selected" however a friend of mine (first-time submission for him) had his status change from selected back to submitted overnight! I think he submitted his application early on within the submission window while I didn't get mine submitted until near the deadline. Anyone know if the switch back to submitted is obligatory? I heard word on my original contract award on 8/24/16 last time...so I guess we should continue to wait patiently. haha

Status just changed from selected to funded! First time applicant, NIDCD, New Clinical Research LRP. Feeling very grateful!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm NHLBI too. First time renewal for me. My status still says "selected" however a friend of mine (first-time submission for him) had his status change from selected back to submitted overnight! I think he submitted his application early on within the submission window while I didn't get mine submitted until near the deadline. Anyone know if the switch back to submitted is obligatory? I heard word on my original contract award on 8/24/16 last time...so I guess we should continue to wait patiently. haha

NHLBI here, first time submission. I applied toward the end of the application window and submitted my loan documentation very soon after being selected for financial review. No change here, still says "selected."

Also NIAID and still waiting...

I’m CR, 1st renewal. Hopefully we hear something soon!

Mine unfortunately still says "submitted" which last year was associated with not getting renewed (2nd renewal). Sigh. I have heard *nothing* about NIDA yet which I'm guessing means not getting funded another year. Boooooooooooooooooooo.

NHLBI here, first time submission. I applied toward the end of the application window and submitted my loan documentation very soon after being selected for financial review. No change here, still says "selected."
I'm back to "submitted" from "selected" as of this morning. Sounds like only the NIH knows if that's good or bad :) Good luck everyone!

I'm back to "submitted" from "selected" as of this morning. Sounds like only the NIH knows if that's good or bad :) Good luck everyone!

I am NHLBI as well. Mine switched from "selected" to submitted" yesterday afternoon sometime between 2 and 8 pm EST. Last year this was a good sign (we switched from "selected" to "submitted" about 2 days before notification), but this year it seemed like people were going from "selected" to "funded" rather than back to "submitted" so worrisome, not sure if this means we didn't make the final cut. But if everyone is switching over back over to submitted maybe not so bad/part of their protocol?

I am NHLBI as well. Mine switched from "selected" to submitted" yesterday afternoon sometime between 2 and 8 pm EST. Last year this was a good sign (we switched from "selected" to "submitted" about 2 days before notification), but this year it seemed like people were going from "selected" to "funded" rather than back to "submitted" so worrisome, not sure if this means we didn't make the final cut. But if everyone is switching over back over to submitted maybe not so bad/part of their protocol?

No change on mine still... Not sure whether seeing some change (back to submitted) or not is good or bad either... but I hope it means NHLBI is going to release funding decisions soon as some changes are occurring online in the application portal.

first time clinical application to NIBIB - switched to "funded" today. No email yet...

First time external Clinical for NHLBI here.
Status still "selected"
Has anyone who has changed to submitted tried logging into the applicant dashboard for confirmation?