NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mine has not switched. I think this may mean re-up for next year. Thanks for the information folks. ItsI been exciting to watch.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Mine has not switched. I think this may mean re-up for next year. Thanks for the information folks. ItsI been exciting to watch.

Sorry to hear that! Keep your head up and good luck with your next application!

Those that have gone before...
I'm having a hard time creating a strategy around how my payments will be applied and how it will affect my PSLF status.
I have 5 years of payments in so far so in all likelihood, if I'm optimistic and get 2 LRP renewals, I will still have a smallish (relatively, anyway) balance to pay off which could be forgiven through PSLF.
My servicer basically says that to continue to be on track for forgiveness at 10 years, I have to continue to make the determined payment amount each month. It also says that any payment made more than 30 days in advance, won't count as a monthly payment. This basically means I can't be "paid ahead" and count each zero balance month as a "paid month" because I didn't pay it within 30 days of being due.
I am guessing that means I might be able to get away with one month each quarter as a valid payment towards PSLF when they first send payment to my servicer and as long as I continue to make payments in between I should be good.
But, I'd like to hear how others have navigated these programs with their servicer. I'm with FedLoan if that matters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those that have gone before...
I'm having a hard time creating a strategy around how my payments will be applied and how it will affect my PSLF status.
I have 5 years of payments in so far so in all likelihood, if I'm optimistic and get 2 LRP renewals, I will still have a smallish (relatively, anyway) balance to pay off which could be forgiven through PSLF.
My servicer basically says that to continue to be on track for forgiveness at 10 years, I have to continue to make the determined payment amount each month. It also says that any payment made more than 30 days in advance, won't count as a monthly payment. This basically means I can't be "paid ahead" and count each zero balance month as a "paid month" because I didn't pay it within 30 days of being due.
I am guessing that means I might be able to get away with one month each quarter as a valid payment towards PSLF when they first send payment to my servicer and as long as I continue to make payments in between I should be good.
But, I'd like to hear how others have navigated these programs with their servicer. I'm with FedLoan if that matters.

You will not be able to get forgiveness at 10 years with an LRP in the mix. I have basically thought about it as a "deferment" of PSLF during the time of the LRP (and beyond, actually, as it takes awhile for the monthly payment due to show up again after the last LRP payment. So your *first* LRP payment might count, but none of the rest of them will....or maybe the first one each year will count (after you resign the income-based repayment thing), because the balance of the former LRP payment is just "paid forward" to the next month.

Well, if that's the case then based on my loan, monthly payment, and the LRP...that's a 18 year-ish "deferment."
And at that point I might actually make enough in salary to cover the balance rather than continuing to make larger monthly payments for another 5 years.
My servicer did say I could "turn off" my paid ahead status. Anyone gone that route?

No, I literally mean deferment DURING the LRP period. So what happened to me was I had the LRP for 3 years and then wasn't renewed. I still have loans remaining. The last payment occured in July 2017 and I started repaying again in March of 2018 because the *last* LRP payment of 8700 or whatever carried forward until mid-2018. Then I started making monthly payments again. So it's not that the ENTIRE LRP time period pulls forward, but the last payment after the LRP ends.

Question about Clinical NHLBI renewals - Does anyone have any tips on how to ensure renewal after first LRP award? Is there any specific reason they like or do not like renewal applications? Lack of results, lack of publications, lack of grants, etc. or is it all just luck? Thanks.

Question about Clinical NHLBI renewals - Does anyone have any tips on how to ensure renewal after first LRP award? Is there any specific reason they like or do not like renewal applications? Lack of results, lack of publications, lack of grants, etc. or is it all just luck? Thanks.

I just received my 1st 2-year renewal on a clinical research LRP from NICHD but hopefully this information is helpful. For renewal applications you document your "Research Accomplishments" during the initial award period. For me, I received my first R21 as PI, submitted a second R21 as PI and a R01 as MPI, and continued in my role as co-I on 2 R01 studies. I also received two 1-year pilot studies, published 11 papers (4 as 1st author), and was promoted from Instructor to Assistant Professor. Pretty much you want to demonstrate that you have leveraged your LRP award to continued research productivity.

So, I see that last year some LRP applicants were notified that they were selected for financial review on May 1. Anyone's status change today? FWIW, mine did not (NIAAA CR).

Randomly remembered today that I haven't checked application status in a while (is it really May already??). Logged in and saw that my status is listed as "selected." My IC is NIMH. I've landed here in an effort to figure out what this means. I've received no emails from NIH yet but it looks like I am now able to upload further documentation about my loans...

So, I see that last year some LRP applicants were notified that they were selected for financial review on May 1. Anyone's status change today? FWIW, mine did not (NIAAA CR).
I am in the same boat. NIAAA CR. No change in status to report.

So, assuming that everything with the loans checks out, does everybody with selected status ultimately get funded?

No, not everyone with selected status gets funded....though I think MOST do.

Members don't see this ad :)

I received notification of financial review on 4/06 this year (NIAID-CR second one-year renewal). Status on OAS changed to Selected around the same time. I believe every institute does their reviews independently, and possibly earlier for renewals vs. new applications, and also possibly on a rolling basis, so I wouldn't start to worry about it until June. Either way, I wouldn't expect any funding decisions before August-September.

Still waiting for NIAAA as well.
Thanks PsychPsyance and falseimitation. I guess we are all in the same situation which feels like somewhat good news as there is a chance that NIAAA has not yet made any decisions regarding financial review for renewals (mine is a CR as well). I will keep you both posted on any status change (or lack thereof). Good luck to all of us!

Hi all, has anyone received notification for external awards for NICHD? First time applicant here.

Hi everyone,

I just thought about checking on my application and I haven't had any status change. I'm up for renewal with the NIDDK. When I got my initial award I was first notified for financial review on May 15, not sure what the time line will be for a renewal but I did get asked to up date my loan balances last month. I will post on here if I get any status change. Good luck!

same here!
Mine is an NICHD 1st renewal. No news yet. I believe I was notified around May 8-10th last time but there seems to be a +/- 2week range at least on notifications from year to year. I also wonder if the prolonged shutdown earlier in the year will have any impact on notification timelines.

Hi Guys,

Just got the notification that my award was selected. I'm up for renewal with the NIDDK. Good luck everyone!

Hi! Has anyone heard from NIDA? (New award application here -

Mine is an NICHD 1st renewal. No news yet. I believe I was notified around May 8-10th last time but there seems to be a +/- 2week range at least on notifications from year to year. I also wonder if the prolonged shutdown earlier in the year will have any impact on notification timelines.
Still no news on my side...anxiously waiting. Anyone from the NICHD (1st or renewal) please post if you have heard news. Thanks y'all!

Just another update for everyone. My friend submitted to Health Disparities and hers switched to Selected yesterday as well. Mine at NIDA got switched to Selected yesterday too.

Still no news on my side...anxiously waiting. Anyone from the NICHD (1st or renewal) please post if you have heard news. Thanks y'all!
Still no news. I double checked and my status switched last time on 5/18, so we are still well within the window. Good luck!

Just another update for everyone. My friend submitted to Health Disparities and hers switched to Selected yesterday as well. Mine at NIDA got switched to Selected yesterday too.

oh boo, I applied under nimhd and it still says submitted, not too hopeful now!

I spoke with the NIAAA LRP PO today. She said that NIAAA is a little behind on identifying the folks they would like to fund (and thus select for financial review). She is hoping they have this accomplished and submitted to LRP in July. So we likely have another month+ before we will know anything. Cheers!

Reactions: 1 users
I spoke with the NIAAA LRP PO today. She said that NIAAA is a little behind on identifying the folks they would like to fund (and thus select for financial review). She is hoping they have this accomplished and submitted to LRP in July. So we likely have another month+ before we will know anything. Cheers!

Thanks for the update!!!

Nope, nothing yet on my end either. Still hopeful!
Still no news. I double checked and my status switched last time on 5/18, so we are still well within the window. Good luck!

Those of you waiting on NICHD might want to check your status! My second renewal just switched to Selected. Good luck!

Yay, mine too! This is the best program ever...I get to buy a house this year! Living the dream :).

woohoo! Changed to selected as well! :) how awesome that all of us waiting here got selected for financial review! congrats all! I understand that most of the ppl that get selected for financial review go on to obtaining the award!!! here is to a positive notice of award for everyone!

Congratulations! Was your friend’s Health Disparities (NIMHD) application new or renewal?

Also an NCI Clinical Research applicant here, no status change yet.

Was yours a new NIDA app? Or renewal?

NHLBI - Pediatric LRP 2-yr Renewal - Selected for financial review on May 1st (bit late to the post). Good luck everyone!

I applied to NCI clinical research and have not heard anything -- curious if anyone else who applied to NCI has any updates?

My NCI clinical research application was "selected" for financial review May 14th. Not sure what that means for my likelihood of funding, but my fingers are crossed! Best of luck to all!