NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!!
Thanks R33 for the congrats and for summarizing the updates as they come in for all of us! I am just hoping that the switch is indicative that an award letter is coming as so many others have experienced.

Congrats falseimitation! *High fives* are definitely in order!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Response from LRP Main email in request to clarify status change from "selected" to "submitted":

Dear Dr. _____:

Please allow 48 hours for your status to update.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Kind regards,

Division of Loan Repayment (NIH/OD/OER/OEP)|

lol, so no clarification that it's definitely a good thing there...

Reactions: 1 user
Response from LRP Main email in request to clarify status change from "selected" to "submitted":

Dear Dr. _____:

Please allow 48 hours for your status to update.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Kind regards,

Division of Loan Repayment (NIH/OD/OER/OEP)|

lol, so no clarification that it's definitely a good thing there...

Thanks! After one receives an email stating that they were awarded the LRP, does the status in the LRP portal change from "submitted" to "accepted"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! After one receives an email stating that they were awarded the LRP, does the status in the LRP portal change from "submitted" to "accepted"?
Are you able to log into the Awardee Portal to see scheduled payments and the contract? If you can, I would rest assured you are funded. The system is new this year and funding announcements are different than in past cycles. What have been other awardees experiences?

I just got my official notice! The notice did follow a change from "selected" to "submitted" by about 2 business days.

However -- I was quite surprised when I logged in and looked at the payments. It is not nearly as much as I was anticipating based on the terms at the time of my application. I have about 75,000 in loans and was expecting about $35,000 per year for the 2 years -- so that they would almost be paid off after this contract. It says that there is a "new award formula" that will pay 1/4 of your total debt per year and you will only get the full $35,000 if you have at least $140k in loans.

It seems unfair to change the award formulas from the ones listed at the time of application, doesn't it?! Like if you apply under one system, they should honor that.
Anyone else, or did I misinterpret the original guidelines?

Last edited:
I just got my official notice from ORIP! The notice did follow a change from "selected" to "submitted" by about 2 business days.

However -- I was quite surprised when I logged in and looked at the payments. It is not nearly as much as I was anticipating based on the terms at the time of my application. I have about 75,000 in loans and was expecting about $35,000 per year for the 2 years -- so that they would almost be paid off after this contract. It says that there is a "new award formula" that will pay 1/4 of your total debt per year and you will only get the full $35,000 if you have at least $140k in loans.

It seems unfair to change the award formulas from the ones listed at the time of application, doesn't it?! Like if you apply under one system, they should honor that.
Anyone else, or did I misinterpret the original guidelines?
My understanding is that was the formula at the time of the application.

Are you able to log into the Awardee Portal to see scheduled payments and the contract? If you can, I would rest assured you are funded. The system is new this year and funding announcements are different than in past cycles. What have been other awardees experiences?
It's a new application, so I don't have login info for the Awardee Portal yet. Looks like I'm just stuck waiting a couple of days.

It's a new application, so I don't have login info for the Awardee Portal yet. Looks like I'm just stuck waiting a couple of days.

I spoke to an LRP representative (not program officer) today about the status change and they said it wasn't a bad thing (when asked if it was a good thing they avoided the question).

Same here regarding access to the LRP portal.

Last edited:
The status on my NICHD new clinical research app just switched to "submitted." *Fingers crossed* good news email comes soon!

Reactions: 1 users
My status just changed to submitted. I am a clinical research renewal at NICHD. I can see the updated payment schedule in the portal. Finally!!

Last edited:
The status on my NICHD new clinical research app just switched to "submitted." *Fingers crossed* good news email comes soon!

Mine also changed to submitted, and I can see the updated payments in my Portal!

Reactions: 1 users
Mine just changed from Selected to Submitted. No email yet. NIMHD health disparities new application.
I got the email today :) For those who are new applicants whose status changed but did not get the email yet, you can try logging into the portal: "Your username is the email address you provided on your LRP application and the password is your application tracking code (tracking code can be found on left-hand side of the application dashboard)."

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much starthrower, that worked! I was able to log in to the awardee portal. :banana:

I got the email today :) For those who are new applicants whose status changed but did not get the email yet, you can try logging into the portal: "Your username is the email address you provided on your LRP application and the password is your application tracking code (tracking code can be found on left-hand side of the application dashboard)."

Uh-oh. That did not work for me. And still no email. Might not be looking so good....

Uh-oh. That did not work for me. And still no email. Might not be looking so good....

didnt work for me either - status changes to submitted this morning so I was initially excited but now not so much :(

didnt work for me either - status changes to submitted this morning so I was initially excited but now not so much :(
I don't know how long it takes from the time the status changes to the the time your portal login information works.

I don't know how long it takes from the time the status changes to the the time your portal login information works.

thanks for giving me a kernel of hope... expect nothing less from the psychology discussion board :)

I received an email today that my application to NIH Clinical LRP (NIAAA) was approved. Words cannot express how happy I am that my LRP application was funded given that my application last year was not funded. Thank you NIH and NIAAA for the LRP. Also, a special thanks to all of you who are active on this forum and provided valuable information (e.g., change in status from selected to submitted) that helped with the anxiety associated with waiting to hear back from the LRP. I lurked on this forum last year and mustered up the courage to contribute this year and I hope that the information I provided help others during this process as information provided by others on this forum has helped me.

Good luck everyone!

I called yesterday and they said it takes about 48 hours for your awardee portal to update. Notification emails can come at whatever time (e.g., mine came at 3:03 am; NIMHD). I did not previously have an awardee portal, as I was a new applicant (that could be your case too), and I didn't try to log in since I didn't know the portal existed... So not sure what the deal is as far as when it's created. You may just have to sit tight and wait for the email (which is cruel, I know), since the portal may be activated at roughly the same time as the email goes out. Given the notification email time stamp, this process seems automated... If you really want, you can try to see if you had an account created by going to this website: NIH LRP Portal - Login, and, as the user above said, logging in with your application email (username) and application ID (password). The status in the application portal stays listed as "submitted" even if an award is granted (at least mine did). I know of a lot of people who have received this award (N=6 new awards), and everybody who got financial review was awarded... Additionally, I know some people who applied and were not awarded (N=3), and none of them received financial review. It seems relatively unusual to not be approved at this point *but fingers are still crossed for everyone still waiting*

Thanks so much starthrower, that worked! I was able to log in to the awardee portal. :banana:

Thank you too starthrower, it worked for me too! My status on my application portal (NICHD new clinical research) changed to submitted last night. It seems previous posters mentioned it takes about 48 hours for the email to come after this change. But I was able to log onto the award portal! Totally awesome!

Also -- I agree with the previous poster. Everyone I know who went through financial review got the award.

I also went through financial review as well and still rejected.
I went through financial review as well and found out I was rejected on Saturday. Congrats to those who got it - guess there is always next cycle for me!

For those not funded this cycle, don't lose hope. I was rejected 3 or 4 times before I was funded the first time and was rejected at the first attempt at a renewal. I just received my second renewal, which will pay off my loans. Hang in there, it takes persistence. I've been at this 10 years.

For those funded, don't forget you need to apply for your renewal the year before your contract ends to receive continuous funding. Therefore, if you were funded for a 2 year contract in the 2016 cycle (the cycle that just announced funding; funding period 2017-2019), you need to submit for a renewal award for the September 2018 cycle. If you received a one year contract, you need to apply for the 2017 cycle that is about to open. Good luck to all!

For those not funded this cycle, don't lose hope. I was rejected 3 or 4 times before I was funded the first time and was rejected at the first attempt at a renewal. I just received my second renewal, which will pay off my loans. Hang in there, it takes persistence. I've been at this 10 years.

For those funded, don't forget you need to apply for your renewal the year before your contract ends to receive continuous funding. Therefore, if you were funded for a 2 year contract in the 2016 cycle (the cycle that just announced funding; funding period 2017-2019), you need to submit for a renewal award for the September 2018 cycle. If you received a one year contract, you need to apply for the 2017 cycle that is about to open. Good luck to all!

I definitely have to echo this. This was my third application attempt. I had two previous rejections from NIMH. I switched agencies this time to NICHD and got funded this year--you might consider other agencies that are relevant to your research if you haven't been successful with one agency after several attempts. I recently listened to a podcast on professional athletes in the minor leagues and how they cope with rejection from the majors and keep playing. There were ALOT of parallels to being in science. It hurts every time a journal article or grant is rejected but it feels so good when it pays off (gotta love intermittent positive reinforcement). "Flush it" and keep playing, we need you to stay in science!

I was rejected this year as well, got the rejection email on Sunday. I knew it was coming because I talked to the NIDA LRP person mid-summer, but still a bummer. This was my second renewal, and as I think I said earlier in this thread somewhere, they are more stringent about renewals after the first one (at least at NIDA, and from what I have heard through the grapevine at other institutes too). I just got my first NIH grant, though, so I'll definitely reapply this year and hope that I get re-renewed next summer!

I definitely have to echo this. This was my third application attempt. I had two previous rejections from NIMH. I switched agencies this time to NICHD and got funded this year--you might consider other agencies that are relevant to your research if you haven't been successful with one agency after several attempts. I recently listened to a podcast on professional athletes in the minor leagues and how they cope with rejection from the majors and keep playing. There were ALOT of parallels to being in science. It hurts every time a journal article or grant is rejected but it feels so good when it pays off (gotta love intermittent positive reinforcement). "Flush it" and keep playing, we need you to stay in science!

I totally agree with both of these posters. This was my second application (rejected outright last year - didn't even make it to financial review). I think everyone I know who has had one of these awards has been rejected at least once, either on the initial application or the renewal. I've also been rejected from multiple other grants... this is just the way it is in the academic sciences. Resilience, persistence, and not taking rejections personally are the name of the game. Easier said than done, I know, but you've got this!

I totally agree with both of these posters. This was my second application (rejected outright last year - didn't even make it to financial review). I think everyone I know who has had one of these awards has been rejected at least once, either on the initial application or the renewal. I've also been rejected from multiple other grants... this is just the way it is in the academic sciences. Resilience, persistence, and not taking rejections personally are the name of the game. Easier said than done, I know, but you've got this!

Agree as well. This was my second time applying. Everyone from my program who applied with me was also rejected the first time -- so take heart and keep trying!

Question for LRP awardees: did you stop making payments on your loans altogether during the LRP period to maximize the award you could get if you got the renewal, or is that a bad idea? Is that somehow prohibited? I could do to pay my loans off more slowly and especially if I could get more money on a renewal, I thought it may be worth it. I'll have to pay around $15,000 for the next 2 years, and if I were able to get a renewal, that's $7500 that I wouldn't get from the NIH... Any thoughts? My interest rates are SUPER low so it's not a huge rush for me to pay it, other than having debt hanging over my head till I'm 75.

Last edited:
Question for LRP awardees: did you stop making payments on your loans altogether during the LRP period to maximize the award you could get if you got the renewal, or is that a bad idea? Is that somehow prohibited? I could do to pay my loans off more slowly and especially if I could get more money on a renewal, I thought it may be worth it. I'll have to pay around $15,000 for the next 2 years, and if I were able to get a renewal, that's $7500 that I wouldn't get from the NIH... Any thoughts? My interest rates are SUPER low so it's not a huge rush for me to pay it (i.e. I make more in my savings account interest than I pay in the majority of my loan), other than having debt hanging over my head till I'm 75.

I considered forbearance (which your servicer might or might not let you do), but note that your interest probably accrues daily. That adds up really quickly. My loan is on a ten-year repayment schedule. I am continuing to make the standard "monthly" payment, which covers the accrued interested and a portion of principal. My servicer says that I am paid off until like 2025 because of the LRP payments. I did not think that the extra interest payment was justified. I crunched the numbers on various scenarios, and going into forbearance actually cost more in the end. I just pay off my loan as if LRP didn't exist, and just consider their payments as "extra credit."

I considered forbearance (which your servicer might or might not let you do), but note that your interest probably accrues daily. That adds up really quickly. My loan is on a ten-year repayment schedule. I am continuing to make the standard "monthly" payment, which covers the accrued interested and a portion of principal. My servicer says that I am paid off until like 2025 because of the LRP payments. I did not think that the extra interest payment was justified. I crunched the numbers on various scenarios, and going into forbearance actually cost more in the end. I just pay off my loan as if LRP didn't exist, and just consider their payments as "extra credit."
Hmm... but if you are all paid up till 2025, then you wouldn't have to go into forbearance, right, you'd just have to stop until your next payment is due? Correct?

Hmm... but if you are all paid up till 2025, then you wouldn't have to go into forbearance, right, you'd just have to stop until your next payment is due? Correct?

Yes. But interest accrues DAILY no matter when you pay or don't pay. That is key here. If it accrued monthly it would be different, but most student loans accrue DAILY (so on the second day you are paying interest on the interest, in simple terms).

Clarification Edit: Forbearance in this case just means they let you not pay your principal. But interest is still accruing.

Yes. But interest accrues DAILY no matter when you pay or don't pay. That is key here. If it accrued monthly it would be different, but most student loans accrue DAILY (so on the second day you are paying interest on the interest, in simple terms).

Clarification Edit: Forbearance in this case just means they let you not pay your principal. But interest is still accruing.
Hmm. So like a mortgage, and even more so, it would be hugely beneficial to make twice monthly payments instead of monthly then, right?

I'm also considering just paying the interest every month rather than making payments towards principal.

Hmm. So like a mortgage, and even more so, it would be hugely beneficial to make twice monthly payments instead of monthly then, right?

I'm also considering just paying the interest every month rather than making payments towards principal.

Theoretically you can make payments every day, but obviously that is overkill.

Paying the interest only is totally fine, but that is the definition of forbearance. At least in the beginning when you will actually be considered behind on your (principal) payments.

You will have to talk to your loan servicer, each has different rules on what is and isn't allowed. They might not let you go into forbearance or deviate from your prescribed payment plan (fixed, graduated, etc.). They can give you the options based on your situation.

Also keep in mind, it appears that my servicer treats the LRP payments as 100% principal, even though there is some interest accrued on the day their payments go through.

Theoretically you can make payments every day, but obviously that is overkill.

Paying the interest only is totally fine, but that is the definition of forbearance. At least in the beginning when you will actually be considered behind on your (principal) payments.

You will have to talk to your loan servicer, each has different rules on what is and isn't allowed. They might not let you go into forbearance or deviate from your prescribed payment plan (fixed, graduated, etc.). They can give you the options based on your situation.

Also keep in mind, it appears that my servicer treats the LRP payments as 100% principal, even though there is some interest accrued on the day their payments go through.
Ok thank you! Yes, that does ring a bell. I do remember reading somewhere that the LRP payments are only allowed to go towards principal.

Anyone submitting for the LRP this year? My application says "submitted", though I didn't receive any confirmation emails from the portal. Commence almost-year-long wait!

Anyone submitting for the LRP this year? My application says "submitted", though I didn't receive any confirmation emails from the portal. Commence almost-year-long wait!

Yep! Applied for my first renewal through NICHD. Anyone with renewal awards have sense of whether these are more/less/equally competitive than initial awards? My first initial application (2014-2015 application cycle) was not awarded but I did get the award when I tried again in the 2015 - 2016 cycle. Since my application was awarded, I continue to be Co-I on an R01 (consistent with initial awarded application), and now I am also PI on an awarded R21, MPI on a R01 that was scored well (16%) and will be resubmitted in the spring, and PI on a new R21 submission and had 11 new publications since initial LRP was awarded. For some context, I am junior faculty in a 50% clinical/50% research position. Hoping accomplishments are enough for a 2-year renewal!

Has anyone heard anything about LRP renewals? May is right around the corner and I seem to remember May is when folks start hearing about financial review.

Anyone else have their status change to "selected"? I logged on to check in and noticed that. Does that mean it was selected for financial review? I have not heard anything from the LRP folks.

Anyone else have their status change to "selected"? I logged on to check in and noticed that. Does that mean it was selected for financial review? I have not heard anything from the LRP folks.

Ick, no, mine still says submitted. Now I'm nervous. Mine is a first submission, not a renewal, though.

Just checked my records and my initial clinical research LRP application to NICHD was selected for financial review 5/12/16. I seem to recall a lot of variability depending on the institute to which you submitted, and in general, I think the renewals were informed earlier than initial applications. Fingers crossed for everyone who has an application under review.

Just checked my records and my initial clinical research LRP application to NICHD was selected for financial review 5/12/16. I seem to recall a lot of variability depending on the institute to which you submitted, and in general, I think the renewals were informed earlier than initial applications. Fingers crossed for everyone who has an application under review.

Thanks for looking that up! I'm with a different institution AND a first application, so probably just on different timelines.

My application also says "selected." My understanding is that means selected for financial review. The portal also has an area for me to upload my financial documents. I'm a first time applicant to NICHD. I haven't received an email from the LRP yet.

Ick, no, mine still says submitted. Now I'm nervous. Mine is a first submission, not a renewal, though.

Mine still says "submitted" also. I am keeping my finger crossed. All the best to you too!

I'm NIMH, first submission, still "submitted." Fingers crossed everyone!

Does anyone know if LRP pays subsidized or unsubsidized consolidated loans first? I understand the order of payment for general loan categories (I just tried to post the link here but got an error message, you can google lrp order of loan payment), but cannot find specific info on subsidized/unsubsidized priorities online.

Got the selected for financial review message last night. First time initial application to peds research NIMH. Good luck to all!