May 30, 2018
Status
Post Doc
Is anyone else out there getting extremely anxious?!
Still "selected" NEI. Anyone from NEI out there watching this thread?

Looks like people have heard from NCATS, NCI, NHLBI, NIAAA, NIBIB, NICHD, NIDDK, NIEHS, NIGMS, NIMH. (I heard about a few of these on twitter that were retweeted by the NIH LRP). Congrats to all of those that were funded!

Aug 13, 2018
Renewal NHLBI. Application status changed to funded and awardee account updated to reflect renewal contract. Hope all those waiting for NHLBI hear good news soon. All the best.

Aug 13, 2018
Thanks everyone for posting your updates! I'm one of the NIAID waiters here...Can anyone who previously applied and was *not funded* please share how you were informed? Do you wait in "Selected" limbo forever or does your status switch to "Not funded"? Sending good vibes to fellow waiters and congrats to all who have received positive outcomes!

Reactions: TJenks89

wums07

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2016
Renewal NHLBI. Application status changed to funded and awardee account updated to reflect renewal contract. Hope all those waiting for NHLBI hear good news soon. All the best.
Same situation here -- account updated with the renewal contract and status changed to funded but I have not gotten an email yet from NHLBI. Have you gotten an email?

abcdefg12345678910

2+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2015
Status
Optometry Student
Very likely could have overlooked one, but the only NIMH award I have seen so far was on twitter, and 99% sure that was a renewal.

May 30, 2018
Status
Post Doc
Guys. GUYS! NIAID here, status just changed to FUNDED!!! AHHHHH
Congrats! I bet that is so excited! I'm assuming "status just changed" means you have been checking it frequently enough to obverse the exact time it changed or at least pretty good time resolution?

Reactions: TJenks89

DrBoo2010

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2005
Status
Congrats! I bet that is so excited! I'm assuming "status just changed" means you have been checking it frequently enough to obverse the exact time it changed or at least pretty good time resolution?

Mine just changed to funded for NIAID too! And probably in the last hour our so (I only logged in again because of what I saw here!)

Good luck to everyone else. I hope they release all other funding decisions soon!

Aug 13, 2018
Mine just changed to "Funded" from NIAID too!!!!! I have been obsessively refreshing both this site and the LRP site for weeks. THANK YOU for generously sharing your updates over the last few months!! What an awesome support thread! I was a first-time "New Extramural" applicant with an F32 from NINR and an R21 from NIAID in case that is helpful info to have. EDIT: It changed to "FUNDED" between 10am and 11am PST on Wed, 8/15 for future trackers!

immun0

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2016
Status
Post Doc
Also just got the switch to Funded from NIAID! Wooooo!!!!!!!!! :D

Edit: Logged into the participant portal and the award details have already populated! Looks like they approved 1 year of renewal even though I had applied for 2 years, but the award amount is still 50% of the remaining debt, so no complaints here! :)

Congrats to everyone else who was funded! To those of you still waiting for news, stay positive and persistent!

Last edited:

TJenks89

7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2011
Columbus, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I must have been checking the LRP website upwards of 15-20x per day! It was turning me into a crazy person. I had my rotation down pat: check LRP status, SD network thread, and then twitter NIH LRP posts. I've been checking obsessively for at least 3 weeks now. Honestly, I was at the point where I was starting to lose hope...

This thread has been a god-send, and I am not ashamed to admit that I went through the thread posts (more than once!) from previous years to see when IC's typically posted status updates. Thank you for all of the support, congratulations to the awardees, and good luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: eyeresearcher

TJenks89

7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2011
Columbus, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Also, I was a "new extramural" LRP applicant to NIAID. I am a DVM in my third year of a PhD, and I've been funded by T32 grants (two different T32's) for the entirety of my PhD. I hope this information may help future applicants!

Reactions: eyeresearcher
May 30, 2018
Status
Post Doc
I must have been checking the LRP website upwards of 15-20x per day! It was turning me into a crazy person. I had my rotation down pat: check LRP status, SD network thread, and then twitter NIH LRP posts. I've been checking obsessively for at least 3 weeks now. Honestly, I was at the point where I was starting to lose hope...

This thread has been a god-send, and I am not ashamed to admit that I went through the thread posts (more than once!) from previous years to see when IC's typically posted status updates. Thank you for all of the support, congratulations to the awardees, and good luck to those still waiting!
I have the exact same routine as you and I am going crazy and losing hope... Hopefully that changes soon. I don't know of any other NEI applicants, so I have no idea what is happening with those applications. Like any good scientist (or maybe crazy person...) I have been collected data about LRP applications from this forum and twitter. Out of the 23 participating ICs, 13 out of 23 have posted notifications. And for the applications I was able to follow on this thread and on twitter, the success rate for those that have been selected and then funded is pretty high (I have 90% calculated, but I think it might be higher as I have not seen a couple of people post whether they were funded or not).

Anyway... Congrats to you and all of the others who have been funded! This thread rally have been more than helpful and hopefully the NEI either makes me super happy or puts me out of my misery soon...

DancingQueen

10+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Just switched to Funded!!! NIAMS first time extramural applicant (clinical research).

I've been lurking on this board for months and it has been so helpful to me. Hopefully more good news to come for the NIAMS folks!

May 30, 2018
Status
Post Doc
This thread is getting rather lonely.... Anyone else still that was selected for financial review waiting on a funding decision? NEI here, still "selected".

Reactions: thatdudewil

skfergus

2+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2016
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I'm still waiting to hear on my NHLBI renewal proposal. My status went from selected back to submitted about two weeks ago. A buddy of mine is in the same boat for his first-time submission. I received good news about my initial application on 8/24/2016, so I'm holding out hope that this week is a good news week.

Reactions: thatdudewil
May 30, 2018
Status
Post Doc
Funded as of this morning! Logged into the application portal around 8 am MST and it was switched to "Funded". Logged onto the award portal and I can see all of the details of the award. New extramural Pediatric Research NEI LRP.

I thought I would provide a bit of background since others are as well. I got my PhD May 2017 and submitted a 2018 proposal. I am funded by a T32 and through 2 R01s from my mentor. This award is going to take so much pressure off me and allow me to continue doing research! I cannot begin to explain how grateful I am to receive this award!

Thanks for all of your support! And good luck to everyone still waiting!

May 30, 2018
Status
Post Doc
That’s terrific!!! Congrats to you. Big sigh of relief!
Thanks! And yes a HUGEEEEE sign of relief! Good luck to you! I know there are a few of you waiting for NIMHD. Since I have been keeping track... Here is my list of ICs that I have seen funding announcements on this forum or twitter.

Funded: NCATS, NCI, NEI, NHLBI, NIA, NIAAA, NIAID, NIAMS, NIBIB, NICHD, NIDCD, NIDDK, NIEHS, NIGMS, NIMH

I have not seen anything from: FIC, NCCIH, NHGRI, NIDA, NIDCR, NIMHD, NINDS, OD

Reactions: hazeldellphd

gliagal

5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2012
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I've been lurking on this forum for a while. My application to NINDS just switched to funded. Wanted to post since no one else has said anything about NINDS yet. (For what it's worth, this is a first time application to the Clinical Research Program).

Jul 21, 2018
Funded as of this morning! Logged into the application portal around 8 am MST and it was switched to "Funded". Logged onto the award portal and I can see all of the details of the award. New extramural Pediatric Research NEI LRP.

I thought I would provide a bit of background since others are as well. I got my PhD May 2017 and submitted a 2018 proposal. I am funded by a T32 and through 2 R01s from my mentor. This award is going to take so much pressure off me and allow me to continue doing research! I cannot begin to explain how grateful I am to receive this award!

Thanks for all of your support! And good luck to everyone still waiting!

Figured I'd add info like eyeresearcher did just in case it helps anyone in the future.

I was a first-time applicant to NHLBI this year for extramural clinical research. I got my PhD in 2016 and I applied one year in to my T32. In terms of career plans, I spoke to an LRP ambassador in my area of research and the ambassador mentioned to really sell having 100% supported time for research (from the T32) and the plans to apply for a K01 during the award period.

In terms of timing, I didn't see any differences for when I heard I was selected for financial review, when I saw "funded" on the applicant portal, or when I logged in to the award portal relative to other first-time applicants who were funded on this site (at least thus far this year). E.g., I submitted my loan docs the next day after being selected for financial review, but I got my batch "funded" email at the same time as everyone else who reported getting it here. It seems some people still have not heard from NHLBI so I'm not sure if that means there is indeed some heterogeneity in terms of when people hear back about funded/not funded from my particular IC.

I did consider applying for the clinical research award for people from disadvantaged backgrounds. Some things to note if you're considering going this route: (1) I had to get documentation that I was disadvantaged, e.g., a letter from my undergraduate institution that I was living below the federal poverty line during college. (2) I ultimately did not apply this route because funding rates for disadvantaged backgrounds are lower than the other ICs I considered. For example, for 2017, the disadvantaged background success rate was 37%. Clinical research success rate was 57%. So... that's depressing, and IMO means that even if you're disadvantaged, you have a better shot at getting an award if you go the regular route (check your IC for specific funding rates).