NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mine was a new NIDA application. I also have an F32 from NIDA, so maybe that gets processed differently?

Thanks for replying! I'm crossing my fingers that they haven't finalized selections for renewals, but it's a few weeks later than prior years already =(

Members don't see this ad.

Also an NCI Clinical Research applicant here, no status change yet.

I got an email that I was selected for "financial review" on 5/14/2019. NCI, clinical research, renewal application (renewal #1). Good luck to all!

Just another update for everyone. My friend submitted to Health Disparities and hers switched to Selected yesterday as well. Mine at NIDA got switched to Selected yesterday too.
Congrats!
Were you both extramural?

Members don't see this ad :)
Checked the portal tonight and found out my application was selected (I haven't received an email). NIAAA CR.

Reactions: 3 users
Mine still says submitted (NIAAA CR). Not quite ready to lose hope... but this is probably bad news for me.

NIH published an interesting article on their blog regarding persistence in research careers for awarded versus non-awarded LRP applicants:

It's interesting confirmation of the expected outcome, but I suspect the fact that they award these preferentially to more productive and committed researchers makes it impossible to measure the impact of the award itself on persistence or productivity. What is perhaps most surprising is that still fewer than half of the awardees remain in research careers, which presumably means the majority are taking the money and returning to clinical practice? Anwyay, I thought others here might be interested in having a look.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone submitting basic research extramural NCI heard anything? I know that they are finally processing F32 applications. Mine still says submitted, but still holding onto hope!

Has anyone submitting basic research extramural NCI heard anything? I know that they are finally processing F32 applications. Mine still says submitted, but still holding onto hope!

Is there a difference in how they handle LRP applications for those holding F32s? I got an extramural NEI Pediatric LRP last year and will be submitting a renewal this fall to try and have no gaps in LRP funding. I got a promising percentile score on my F32 and should hear back soon if I will get funded (Council meets this Friday). Just curious to know if my renewal will be handled differently... Also, congrats on the F32 and good luck with the LRP!

Is there a difference in how they handle LRP applications for those holding F32s? I got an extramural NEI Pediatric LRP last year and will be submitting a renewal this fall to try and have no gaps in LRP funding. I got a promising percentile score on my F32 and should hear back soon if I will get funded (Council meets this Friday). Just curious to know if my renewal will be handled differently... Also, congrats on the F32 and good luck with the LRP!

I have an F32 myself and haven’t heard of any difference in handling of LRPs when you’re on one. The only difference that comes into play is the repayment period for both, they stack and cannot overlap. Also, as a random aside, council dates don’t matter for the F32, they make those funding decisions outside of council (if you look at the PA for the F32s you will see that “Not Applicable for Fellowships” under Advisory Council Dates).

I have an F32 myself and haven’t heard of any difference in handling of LRPs when you’re on one. The only difference that comes into play is the repayment period for both, they stack and cannot overlap. Also, as a random aside, council dates don’t matter for the F32, they make those funding decisions outside of council (if you look at the PA for the F32s you will see that “Not Applicable for Fellowships” under Advisory Council Dates).

Thanks for the info. I have a NRSA payback obligation from a T32 and I am deferring that while on the LRP. When contacting my PO about my potential to receive funding for the F32, he said he would know after June council. Did a quick search and it looks like at least some ICs have a committee that make funding plans for fellowships that coincide with Council meetings - the more you know.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still waiting to hear back about renewals? I applied for my first renewal through NIAMS, but haven't heard anything. Wondering if there are others waiting as well!

Anyone still waiting to hear back about renewals? I applied for my first renewal through NIAMS, but haven't heard anything. Wondering if there are others waiting as well!
I've heard nothing, which makes me think that I was not awarded. I'm surprised that I haven't received a rejection email at this point, but I suppose they tend to save those for last. Can you still log in to the system?

I've heard nothing, which makes me think that I was not awarded. I'm surprised that I haven't received a rejection email at this point, but I suppose they tend to save those for last. Can you still log in to the system?

Yes, I can log-in. It still says "Submitted"...

I may reach out and email to ask. Tired of waiting!

Yes, I can log-in. It still says "Submitted"...

I may reach out and email to ask. Tired of waiting!
I just checked my old emails, and I did not get rejection or approval emails until August (of 2016 and of 2018). Who knows.

Just spoke to the NIAMS LRP contact on the phone and she kindly went through my reviewer comments, scores, etc. In short, my renewal was just on the funding line, but not accepted this round (mostly because of one pretty harsh reviewer!). Will attempt a resubmission this fall.

Application just switched to Funded!!!
(NIAID CR 2nd 1-year renewal)

Reactions: 2 users
Last year I checked in with the PO at NIMH and they told me I was not selected for financial review/rejected in June but wasn't officially notified by email until mid August.

Status switched from selected to funded yesterday afternoon. Overnight, I got my congratulations email.

NIDDK Clinical Research- first award

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody receive a funded notification from NHLBI yet? I seems like historically its been one of the last centers to send out funding decisions...

Hi All,

I got my funding notice and congratulations email this morning for a renewal with the NIDDK.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
When I call them about (NIMHD) renewal funding, they tell me that funding decisions are not finalized and they can't give me any additional information. So frustrating, because I'm pretty sure that people who were not selected for financial review will not be funded. I guess I will have to wait another two months to get what seems to be an obvious answer.

When I call them about (NIMHD) renewal funding, they tell me that funding decisions are not finalized and they can't give me any additional information. So frustrating, because I'm pretty sure that people who were not selected for financial review will not be funded. I guess I will have to wait another two months to get what seems to be an obvious answer.

Thanks for that information. Do you know of NIMHD renewal applicants who have been selected for financial review? I hadn’t even heard of anyone making it to that step yet, so I was still hopeful.

Thanks for that information. Do you know of NIMHD renewal applicants who have been selected for financial review? I hadn’t even heard of anyone making it to that step yet, so I was still hopeful.
I do not. I just assumed that it happened already, since it happened in May the last time I received funding. If no one has received financial review yet, maybe there is still hope...

Just logged in and my award was switched from selected to funded!
First time applicant- NIMH

Checked online, my "selected" was switched to "funded"! First time applicant - clinical research, NCI
Best of luck to all!

Hey all, I just logged in and my application status has switched from "selected" to "funded". I haven't gotten the confirmation email yet, though. First time applicant, NHLBI CR here.

First time applicant, got email notification of funding this morning. Award is via NIMH CR. Thrilled!

got the funded email this morning! NCI, Clinical research, 1st time renewal, 1-yr. A few questions:

- has the funding limit changed this year/is it different for renewals? I'm seeing 1/2 of your remaining debt up to $50K, which is higher than the $35K/yr for my initial grant. LRP Program Details | NIH: Division of Loan Repayment (award calculation tab)
- does the 1-yr renewal mean that I need to write another application in 2 months? :)

Good luck to all!

Or heard from NICHD CIR? My application changed from "selected" to "submitted", which makes me think it's a bad sign...good luck and congrats to all those awarded so far!

My application status switched back from "selected" to "submitted" too :( and all my loan information from the financial review process disappeared. Reviewing last year's posts, seems like bad news. I am so sad :( NICHD 1st time applicant here.

Congrats to all getting good news. I’ve been watching things here and on twitter - lots of decisions rolling in.

No news for my NIHMD renewal. I never received a request for loan information or loan balance. Still says submitted on the portal.

And all the best to those getting ready to submit or resubmit in the upcoming cycle.

Status switched from selected to funded this morning! First time applicant, basic science NIBIB.

Anyone know about the implications with loan IBR? Will my payments all of a sudden go up next year or is there a way around it by having them calculate based on my monthly income (and not the yearly "income" that goes up from the lump sum loan payment). I think I saw that they pay the taxes to the IRS thank god.

Just received word that my NIAAA-CR renewal LRP was funded. Good luck to all those still waiting to hear back about their LRP applications.

They do cover federal taxes but please beware of state taxes! For CA it ended up being a lot...

Thanks for the heads up, wouldn't have thought of that. Time to change my withholding!

Just saw that my application switched to funded, woohoo! (NIDA, clinical, 2nd time applying)

Or heard from NICHD CIR? My application changed from "selected" to "submitted", which makes me think it's a bad sign...good luck and congrats to all those awarded so far!
Hi there, my application (NIDA clinical) just changed from selected back to submitted...just wondering if you (or anyone else) ultimately heard they got funded after that type of status change? I'm freaking out :( This is the third time I've applied.

Last edited:
For people's whose status changed to submitted - did you eventually get an email saying you did not receive an award? In these cases, has anyone's Program Officer been helpful in providing ways to improve your application for the next cycle?

Anyone check their application AFTER it switched to funded? This morning mine switched to "funded" (Clinical research NIA) and then this afternoon it was back to "selected" .... Needless to say I am bit concerned....I have not gotten any email confirmation about the award

Anyone check their application AFTER it switched to funded? This morning mine switched to "funded" (Clinical research NIA) and then this afternoon it was back to "selected" .... Needless to say I am bit concerned....I have not gotten any email confirmation about the award
I experienced the same thing yesterday (also Clinical Research NIA). I contacted the help desk and they told me to wait for an email to confirm my award status....not an excellent afternoon. Still haven’t gotten an email.

I experienced the same thing yesterday (also Clinical Research NIA). I contacted the help desk and they told me to wait for an email to confirm my award status....not an excellent afternoon. Still haven’t gotten an email.

Same here. "funded" yesterday morning--then switched back to "selected" in the afternoon (also Clinical Research NIA). I really hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem great...

Then again, maybe a summer intern accidentally pushed a button that reset all of the NIA application statuses yesterday afternoon, and now they have to re-enter everything again. One can dream, right?

Same here. "funded" yesterday morning--then switched back to "selected" in the afternoon (also Clinical Research NIA). I really hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem great...

Then again, maybe a summer intern accidentally pushed a button that reset all of the NIA application statuses yesterday afternoon, and now they have to re-enter everything again. One can dream, right?

I suppose its nice to hear we are all in the same boat. I got the same email back from the NIH, basically they told me I need to wait for a final notice of approval that will come via email. I guess all we can do is wait? I hope you are right about an intern making a mistake! Maybe we will get some type of answer today?

Last edited:
I suppose its nice to hear we are all in the same boat. I got the same email back from the NIH. I guess all we can do is wait? I hope you are right about an intern making a mistake! Maybe we will get some type of answer today?
Hahahaha, fingers crossed that it was an intern's mistake! It is nice to know that there are others in the same boat. I'll post when I hear something.