Cissia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2009
Status
Non-Student
I applied to NCI clinical research and have not heard anything -- curious if anyone else who applied to NCI has any updates?
My NCI clinical research application was "selected" for financial review May 14th. Not sure what that means for my likelihood of funding, but my fingers are crossed! Best of luck to all!

May 27, 2019
Mine was a new NIDA application. I also have an F32 from NIDA, so maybe that gets processed differently?
Thanks for replying! I'm crossing my fingers that they haven't finalized selections for renewals, but it's a few weeks later than prior years already =(

almost_there

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Also an NCI Clinical Research applicant here, no status change yet.
I got an email that I was selected for "financial review" on 5/14/2019. NCI, clinical research, renewal application (renewal #1). Good luck to all!

islandprincess

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Just another update for everyone. My friend submitted to Health Disparities and hers switched to Selected yesterday as well. Mine at NIDA got switched to Selected yesterday too.
Congrats!
Were you both extramural?

Mar 4, 2019
Status
Attending Physician
NCI External Clinical Research, first time applying. Status is still "submittied."

I wrote to the NCI liason today and got this response, FWIW: "We are still in the review and vetting process. We won’t make final judgements on funding for at least another month, probably two."

PsychPsyance

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 28, 2012
Status
Psychologist
Mine still says submitted (NIAAA CR). Not quite ready to lose hope... but this is probably bad news for me.

immun0

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2016
Status
Post Doc
NIH published an interesting article on their blog regarding persistence in research careers for awarded versus non-awarded LRP applicants:

It's interesting confirmation of the expected outcome, but I suspect the fact that they award these preferentially to more productive and committed researchers makes it impossible to measure the impact of the award itself on persistence or productivity. What is perhaps most surprising is that still fewer than half of the awardees remain in research careers, which presumably means the majority are taking the money and returning to clinical practice? Anwyay, I thought others here might be interested in having a look.

Reactions: Seven_Costanza
Jun 13, 2019
Status
Post Doc
Has anyone submitting basic research extramural NCI heard anything? I know that they are finally processing F32 applications. Mine still says submitted, but still holding onto hope!

May 30, 2018
Status
Post Doc
Has anyone submitting basic research extramural NCI heard anything? I know that they are finally processing F32 applications. Mine still says submitted, but still holding onto hope!
Is there a difference in how they handle LRP applications for those holding F32s? I got an extramural NEI Pediatric LRP last year and will be submitting a renewal this fall to try and have no gaps in LRP funding. I got a promising percentile score on my F32 and should hear back soon if I will get funded (Council meets this Friday). Just curious to know if my renewal will be handled differently... Also, congrats on the F32 and good luck with the LRP!

epiguy7

2+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2016
Is there a difference in how they handle LRP applications for those holding F32s? I got an extramural NEI Pediatric LRP last year and will be submitting a renewal this fall to try and have no gaps in LRP funding. I got a promising percentile score on my F32 and should hear back soon if I will get funded (Council meets this Friday). Just curious to know if my renewal will be handled differently... Also, congrats on the F32 and good luck with the LRP!
I have an F32 myself and haven’t heard of any difference in handling of LRPs when you’re on one. The only difference that comes into play is the repayment period for both, they stack and cannot overlap. Also, as a random aside, council dates don’t matter for the F32, they make those funding decisions outside of council (if you look at the PA for the F32s you will see that “Not Applicable for Fellowships” under Advisory Council Dates).

May 30, 2018
Status
Post Doc
I have an F32 myself and haven’t heard of any difference in handling of LRPs when you’re on one. The only difference that comes into play is the repayment period for both, they stack and cannot overlap. Also, as a random aside, council dates don’t matter for the F32, they make those funding decisions outside of council (if you look at the PA for the F32s you will see that “Not Applicable for Fellowships” under Advisory Council Dates).
Thanks for the info. I have a NRSA payback obligation from a T32 and I am deferring that while on the LRP. When contacting my PO about my potential to receive funding for the F32, he said he would know after June council. Did a quick search and it looks like at least some ICs have a committee that make funding plans for fellowships that coincide with Council meetings - the more you know.

Last edited: