NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard about the financial review from NCCIH?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard about the financial review from NCCIH?
I came on just now to ask the same! I haven’t, which I feel is not a great sign (my mentor agrees, unfortunately). I emailed my PO on Friday about something else, but also asked about the LRP in the same email. If I hear back from her about it, I will let you know!

I came on just now to ask the same! I haven’t, which I feel is not a great sign (my mentor agrees, unfortunately). I emailed my PO on Friday about something else, but also asked about the LRP in the same email. If I hear back from her about it, I will let you know!
Please do, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Please help!

My business official said that I may be approved for loan repayment; however, because I am graduating in July and then not being reappointed (same institution) until September that I am not eligible to accept.

Has anyone ran into a similar issue? If so, is there a way around this as it would be really unfortunate to lose based on this reason.
This happened to me last year. The PO withdrew my application and he advised I resubmit this year. I am still waiting to hear the results from counsel review.

Please do, thank you!
Mine is Still under consideration. However, they didn’t mention whether any financial reviews have gone out, what the overall status is, etc (not that I thought they would give me that info; I only asked about my app of course.) My mentor said it’s unlikely at this point without having received request for financial review, so I’m just going to move on and get ready to apply again this fall! 😊

Reactions: 1 user
Mine is Still under consideration. However, they didn’t mention whether any financial reviews have gone out, what the overall status is, etc (not that I thought they would give me that info; I only asked about my app of course.) My mentor said it’s unlikely at this point without having received request for financial review, so I’m just going to move on and get ready to apply again this fall! 😊
I wouldn't call it quits yet. I have a renewal being considered and some institutes, including NIMHD, sent financial review requests VERY late. People in this forum have been very helpful in sharing when they get notified by their ICs. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Same happened to me. I just got transferred to Nelnet last week.
How long did it take to get your introductory email or letter from Nalnet after your loans transferred?

Just curious if anyone who applied under HDR (L60) has received financial review documents? My mentor keeps asking if I have heard anything yet (nope, lol).

A more general question — has anyone received the LRP during post-doc? Or are you faculty/professor-level researcher?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been about a month since I received financial review and submitted documents. Did it take anyone else this long to get their documents approved?

It's been about a month since I received financial review and submitted documents. Did it take anyone else this long to get their documents approved?
From what I've heard, the LRP folks have a large back log because Great Lakes sold all their student loans to Nelnet. So LRP is updating a ton of current recipients and then will move on to new applications (which really don't need to be looked at until the end of July/beginning of August). Also... I'm on my fourth or fifth renewal, and I'm not sure I recall ever seeing that my docs were verified during the financial review process (though, I may be [probably am] wrong).

A more general question — has anyone received the LRP during post-doc? Or are you faculty/professor-level researcher?
I received my initial LRP award while still a postdoc (shortly before starting my faculty job). I also know of several folks who received it in their first year of postdoc, so it's definitely possible!

From what I've heard, the LRP folks have a large back log because Great Lakes sold all their student loans to Nelnet. So LRP is updating a ton of current recipients and then will move on to new applications (which really don't need to be looked at until the end of July/beginning of August). Also... I'm on my fourth or fifth renewal, and I'm not sure I recall ever seeing that my docs were verified during the financial review process (though, I may be [probably am] wrong).
Ah ok, I sent an email and they mentioned verifying in the order docs are received but not a backlog etc. but this makes sense and helps so much!!

I was awarded my first LRP while on internship (clinical psych). I had a postdoc lined up and they were willing to sign off on the employment requirements. So, yeah, you can definitely get it as a postdoc, and can apply before you even have your degree (at least in some cases).

I submitted my financial review documents on 4/25 and received an update on the status on 5/24 (I had to redact my SSN and provide some additional information for one of the loans).

NIMHD (new application) changed my status to Financial Review this morning.

NIMHD (new application) changed my status to Financial Review this morning.
Do you know how long it took between "council review completed" and "financial review"? Still haven't heard anything from NIAMS. Status still just says "council review completed."

Do you know how long it took between "council review completed" and "financial review"? Still haven't heard anything from NIAMS. Status still just says "council review completed."
The actual status doesn't change for all ICs. I applied through NIDCR and received the financial review invite, but my status wasn't changed from council review completed. That was last month.

I submitted my application for this cycle in my final year of dental school (DMD/PhD), and received the invite for financial review last month for NIDCR. Just started my postdoc on Monday haha.

Updating my timeline for NIDCR (new, pediatric):
Council review completed - 4/12
Request for financial documents - 4/17
Financial progress notification (everything approved, did not need to add more documents) - 5/12
Financial vetting complete - 6/12

Nothing left to do now but wait.

ETA for career stage question - I have a DVM, but am currently getting PhD and this is my second application year. Last year I made it through review but was ultimately not selected.

I received my initial LRP award while still a postdoc (shortly before starting my faculty job). I also know of several folks who received it in their first year of postdoc, so it's definitely possible!
I got it as a postdoc.

Just curious if anyone who applied under HDR (L60) has received financial review documents? My mentor keeps asking if I have heard anything yet (nope, lol).
NICHD-HDR New application- I now have the "Add Additional Documents" button. No email yet- was checking on another app and caught it out of the corner of my eye.

Checking in again! Has anyone heard from NCCIH about anything? Financial review, denial, acceptance, etc.?

Checking in again! Has anyone heard from NCCIH about anything? Financial review, denial, acceptance, etc.?
NIDCR here and I haven’t heard anything about acceptance. From what I can gather most acceptances won’t go out until August, and rejections won’t go out until the end of the cycle?

NIDCR here and I haven’t heard anything about acceptance. From what I can gather most acceptances won’t go out until August, and rejections won’t go out until the end of the cycle?
Thanks! Curious if NCCIH even sent out their financial reviews yet. My PO told me a few weeks ago that my app was still “under consideration,” though it seems quite late for financial reviews not to have even gone out yet.

Hi everyone - I'm considering whether to apply for an LRP grant. I was curious about how the quarterly payments work. My understanding may be wrong, but it seems like NIH makes the quarterly payment, which could advance your due date (so you don't have to pay in between NIH payments). But is interest accruing in between NIH payments? I know NIH payments cover interest and principle, but what happens but is interest capitalizing between their quarterly payments? I'm essentially trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and pay my loans in full, or if it's worth pursuing NIH LRP since it'll delay the life of the loan and (based on the responses to the interest question) cause me to pay unnecessary interest.

Hi everyone - I'm considering whether to apply for an LRP grant. I was curious about how the quarterly payments work. My understanding may be wrong, but it seems like NIH makes the quarterly payment, which could advance your due date (so you don't have to pay in between NIH payments). But is interest accruing in between NIH payments? I know NIH payments cover interest and principle, but what happens but is interest capitalizing between their quarterly payments? I'm essentially trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and pay my loans in full, or if it's worth pursuing NIH LRP since it'll delay the life of the loan and (based on the responses to the interest question) cause me to pay unnecessary interest.
Hoping someone who was awarded this in the past can answer you... many of us received our first awards during the student loan payment pause and have thus not had interest accumulate on our federal loans (which is what NIH puts a priority on paying first) so we cannot comment on that aspect of your question. I imagine interest would continue to accrue on whatever your balance is in between payments (but someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not sure how LRP factors that new interest amount into your quarterly payment.

Personally, I think it's worth pursing NIH LRP because it will reduce the amount that YOU pay in the long run. Your first award is 2 years long and then subsequent reapplications are 1-2 years in length. Nothing is stopping you from making your own payments in addition to the LRP payments to pay the loan balance off faster. I also know some people who are on their 3rd or 4th reapplication and have yet to make their own payment on their loans (opting instead for the LRP to pay off their balance over an extended period of time).

Hoping someone who was awarded this in the past can answer you... many of us received our first awards during the student loan payment pause and have thus not had interest accumulate on our federal loans (which is what NIH puts a priority on paying first) so we cannot comment on that aspect of your question. I imagine interest would continue to accrue on whatever your balance is in between payments (but someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not sure how LRP factors that new interest amount into your quarterly payment.

Personally, I think it's worth pursing NIH LRP because it will reduce the amount that YOU pay in the long run. Your first award is 2 years long and then subsequent reapplications are 1-2 years in length. Nothing is stopping you from making your own payments in addition to the LRP payments to pay the loan balance off faster. I also know some people who are on their 3rd or 4th reapplication and have yet to make their own payment on their loans (opting instead for the LRP to pay off their balance over an extended period of time).
Thanks for explaining. I kind of don't want these loans hovering around anymore (I'm so mentally done since they've been attached to me for decades), hence my wanting to just pay them off now. I don't know. And of course on could apply or reapply and not get it and still have loans to pay. Seems like a lot of uncertainty. Still a good program.

I finished school with ~$160k in loans. Yes, they continued to accrue interest during repayment through LRP. I've also gotten several renewals, and will only have about ~$9k in student loans after this contract. My next contract, if funded (under financial review now), will wipe out the last $9k. So... yeah, I'd say it's worth trying to get an LRP (and apply for renewals) even though interest continues to accrue.

A new icon for “verify payment” came up in ERA Commons by “View LRP documents”. No email yet, but maybe a good sign?

A new icon for “verify payment” came up in ERA Commons by “View LRP documents”. No email yet, but maybe a good sign?
I'll go ahead and post, while everyone else frantically checks their ERA commons for the new button :) Yes, it seems like a very good sign.

Last edited:
Seems like a very good sign!

I'll go ahead and post, while everyone else frantically checks their ERA commons for the new button :) Yes, it seems like a very good sign.
Haha I'll doubt it's real until the official notice goes out, but I'm hopeful for both of us!!

Is this your first LRP application or a renewal? I only see the "verify payment" button for my first LRP so now I'm scared! Does your verify payment button open up the page that shows your future 4 or 8 payments?

Haha I'll doubt it's real until the official notice goes out, but I'm hopeful for both of us!!
I got the email within a couple of days (06/21). I finished getting my documents in on 06/26, and received the funding email on 07/03 (NCATS- apparently my application was transferred to them).

This was not something I saw last year when I was not funded (I don't think it just pops up for everyone), so fingers crossed!

Is this your first LRP application or a renewal? I only see the "verify payment" button for my first LRP so now I'm scared! Does your verify payment button open up the page that shows your future 4 or 8 payments?
This is my first LRP application. The verify payment button takes me to a page with all of my loan info/contract length/etc info, but future payments are blank currently. I’m sure it’ll populate following the email, but I’m not sure how it works haha.

Has anyone who applied to NIDA heard anything since the financial review?
Not yet! I received notice that my financial review was completed as of 5/19, but nothing additional yet for my NIDA renewal. Also don't see the Verify Payment button that other folks are talking about yet!

Not yet! I received notice that my financial review was completed as of 5/19, but nothing additional yet for my NIDA renewal. Also don't see the Verify Payment button that other folks are talking about yet!
Good to know! I also do not see a verify button. They must add the button a few days before notifying people. Congrats to those who have received the good news!

The Verify Payment button appeared today in my commons account along with my loan information. No email yet, but this feels like a pretty good sign. NIAAA-CR 4th(!) renewal.