NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also now have the option to upload loan documents (NIAAA-CR renewal). Not trying to be a Debby Downer, but I doubt it means anything. Feels like the same sort of autogenerated link that we see for JIT.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I also now have the option to upload loan documents (NIAAA-CR renewal). Not trying to be a Debby Downer, but I doubt it means anything. Feels like the same sort of autogenerated link that we see for JIT.
Ok, so now I get to eat my words. Just got the email that I was selected for financial review :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received financial review request email for NCI CR renewal

Reactions: 1 user
Newbie here: just to confirm. Request for financial documents is NOT a guarantee to be funded? Do people get that email and then ultimately not get funded?

Newbie here: just to confirm. Request for financial documents is NOT a guarantee to be funded? Do people get that email and then ultimately not get funded?
Right. Won't know for sure until August. Just means your application hasn't been rejected yet, but it is a good sign!

If I am interpreting loan documentation requirements correctly, if all loans are consolidated then I only need the consolidation promissory note and not all the original promissory notes, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a bit late to the party but received my financial review request for my NIDA CR Renewal on 4/11 - my renewal application last year was not funded and I never saw the "Add Additional Materials" button for that application, so seems like a good sign if it changes for you!

Definitely agree with folks saying pay attention to state taxes - you can end up with underpayment penalties if your LRP payments are large enough and you don't make estimated tax payments to the state throughout the year.

I'm a bit late to the party but received my financial review request for my NIDA CR Renewal on 4/11 - my renewal application last year was not funded and I never saw the "Add Additional Materials" button for that application, so seems like a good sign if it changes for you!

Definitely agree with folks saying pay attention to state taxes - you can end up with underpayment penalties if your LRP payments are large enough and you don't make estimated tax payments to the state throughout the year.
Where does the “add additional materials” button pop up on the application / ASSIST page?

Where does the “add additional materials” button pop up on the application / ASSIST page?
It's in ERA commons under "Status" then "List of Applications/Awards." Click on the LRP application and it looks like this (see attached)...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 6.54.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 6.54.21 AM.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 98
It's in ERA commons under "Status" then "List of Applications/Awards." Click on the LRP application and it looks like this (see attached)...
Thank you for sharing this! Mine doesn't even have the "View LRP Documents" Did that appear when the "Add Additional Documents" appeared?

Thank you for sharing this! Mine doesn't even have the "View LRP Documents" Did that appear when the "Add Additional Documents" appeared?
The "View LRP Documents" button only appears after you have uploaded your loan docs, so only "Add Additional Documents" will be visible until you upload.

This appeared after I uploaded my documents.

NIDCR (new, pediatric) - status change to "Council review completed" on 4/12, request for financial documents on 4/17

Last edited:
My NIDDK council review completed just came through today for NIDDK. It seems like the timeline is council review, upload docs a few days later and then the official email a few days after that? I did not receive my nimhd renewal last year and there wasnt an option to upload docs. I do have "verify payment" next to my first LRP but don't think that means anything.

My NIDDK council review completed just came through today for NIDDK. It seems like the timeline is council review, upload docs a few days later and then the official email a few days after that? I did not receive my nimhd renewal last year and there wasnt an option to upload docs. I do have "verify payment" next to my first LRP but don't think that means anything.
From looking at past years, it seems like it can take some weeks after council review (I'm hoping at least because I haven't heard anything)

NIMHD Renewal here.
Status changed to "council review completed" on 04/07/23 but no further info yet.

Council review completed for NCCIH, status changed 3/29. Now for the waiting…

just an fyi, I got the add additional documents option today, really hoping for the official email to upload! Not sure if this option is just auto-generated for everyone....

Last edited:
Email came through this morning, just took a couple of days, I am wondering if every institute has a slightly different timeline... seems to be the case. Anyway fingers crossed for everyone including myself!

Same - my NIDA CR Renewal (attempt #2!) changed to "council review completed" as of 3/20. Hopefully that means some news about financial review is coming soon!
Hi! Have you heard anything since. This is my first renewal - I received a "council review completed" Friday. I am not sure for renewals what next steps are, as they already have our financial documents, so wondering if there are any "positive" signs we might see before August?

Does anyone think I should be worried if the council review was completed a month ago and I haven’t yet received an email for financial review or the option to upload additional docs? Curious if anyone has insight into this from applying previous years.

Does anyone think I should be worried if the council review was completed a month ago and I haven’t yet received an email for financial review or the option to upload additional docs? Curious if anyone has insight into this from applying previous years.
Hi! So, it took a little over a month from council review completed to receiving the requests for the financial docs. Don't lose hope!

• Care
Hi! Have you heard anything since. This is my first renewal - I received a "council review completed" Friday. I am not sure for renewals what next steps are, as they already have our financial documents, so wondering if there are any "positive" signs we might see before August?
I received a request for financial review on 4/11 for my 2nd attempt at a NIDA CR renewal - a couple days prior to the email request I also had an "Add Additional Documents" button appear next to the "council review completed" status in era commons. For renewals you just have to submit recent loan statements for the financial review, similar to the quarterly statements you submit while on the award. Hope this helps and hope you hear promising news soon!

Last year when I did not receive my first renewal the status changed to council review completed but I never got the option to upload docs. In June '22 I ended up emailing the PO inquiring about how to get feedback, later he was able to get me the reviewer comments. That being said, this year I literally had council review, add additional docs and the email come through within 3-4 days. Unfortunately it seems every institute is different with this timeline. I had a colleague who got financial review but ultimately wasn't picked, fortunately from what I've seen this is a rare occurrence but who knows!

Hi! So, it took a little over a month from council review completed to receiving the requests for the financial docs. Don't lose hope!
I'm a renewal this year but two years ago I applied through NIMHD and they were almost the last ones to send out requests for docs verification. It varies quite a bit by institute.

For those in Year 2 of an initial contract, is your Q7 payment late? I thought it was supposed to be paid in April ... just curious if switching over to the new system seems to have delayed anyone else's payments (and yes, my Q6 payment and Q7 research / service have both been verified). I have also not received an email saying they've released payment. Thanks!

Did anyone apply for NINDS renewal LRP and if so, have you received a request for additional documentation yet?

For those in Year 2 of an initial contract, is your Q7 payment late? I thought it was supposed to be paid in April ... just curious if switching over to the new system seems to have delayed anyone else's payments (and yes, my Q6 payment and Q7 research / service have both been verified). I have also not received an email saying they've released payment. Thanks!
I came here to say the exact same thing! I'm in the same boat; both research and service docs have been verified, and Q7 shows up under "Future Payments" on my ERA Commons account, but the payment hasn't posted nor have I received the LRP email which usually arrives a week or two before the payment posts. Really strange, this is the first time it's been late. I'm glad it's not just me.

Please help!

My business official said that I may be approved for loan repayment; however, because I am graduating in July and then not being reappointed (same institution) until September that I am not eligible to accept.

Has anyone ran into a similar issue? If so, is there a way around this as it would be really unfortunate to lose based on this reason.

Last edited:
That's so strange because I don't think the contract even starts until the fall. I would call LRP

Please help!

My business official said that I may be approved for loan repayment; however, because I am graduating in July and then not being reappointed (same institution) until September that I am not eligible to accept.

Has anyone ran into a similar issue? If so, is there a way around this as it would be really unfortunate to lose based on this reason.
This sounds ridiculous. I'd wait until you get confirmation and then chat with NIH about. Feels like your BO doesn't know what they're talking about (which, I've found is not all that uncommon among admin folks across Universities).

Hi all! Does anyone have experience with whether taking a part-time NIH contractor role with an intramural lab (in addition to keeping otherwise qualifying full-time academic employment/research) would end an extramural LRP prematurely, and/or incur payback consequences? I am waiting for a reply from the LRP information center, but I wanted to know if anyone has had any direct experience with this unusual situation. My concern is that the NIH contracting organizations are for-profit companies, which might result in penalties. Thank you!

same thing happening here

FYI - I received an email from LRP this morning with an update on my financial docs review. They approved all my docs except for a set of promissory notes because I had not redacted my SSN. I redacted my info and re-uploaded the notes. (NIDA first time applicant here.)

Hi all! Does anyone have experience with whether taking a part-time NIH contractor role with an intramural lab (in addition to keeping otherwise qualifying full-time academic employment/research) would end an extramural LRP prematurely, and/or incur payback consequences? I am waiting for a reply from the LRP information center, but I wanted to know if anyone has had any direct experience with this unusual situation. My concern is that the NIH contracting organizations are for-profit companies, which might result in penalties. Thank you!
Not the same situation but I was laid off from my job at a nonprofit and ended up accepting a position at a for-profit organization funded through NIH small business innovation research grants. I could not keep the LRP since the organization was for-profit even though my salary there was NIH-funded, but I did not have to pay a penalty.

FYI - I received an email from LRP this morning with an update on my financial docs review. They approved all my docs except for a set of promissory notes because I had not redacted my SSN. I redacted my info and re-uploaded the notes. (NIDA first time applicant here.)
Weird. They approved my MPN, but uploaded something about there being SSN info on there. FSA got rejected though because my name wasn't in the screenshot haha

I reached out to the LRP regarding the delayed Q7 payment and it has to do with my Great Lakes loans being transferred to Nalnet soon (apparently I'm on the later end of this occurring):

"As for your Q7 payment, it will be scheduled after your account update is complete for the lender change. Our new LRP portal has been implementing payment data from our previous system therefore payments were put on hold. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Just FYI in case others are in a similar situation.

I reached out to the LRP regarding the delayed Q7 payment and it has to do with my Great Lakes loans being transferred to Nalnet soon (apparently I'm on the later end of this occurring):

"As for your Q7 payment, it will be scheduled after your account update is complete for the lender change. Our new LRP portal has been implementing payment data from our previous system therefore payments were put on hold. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Just FYI in case others are in a similar situation.
Same happened to me. I just got transferred to Nelnet last week.