Nih - Postbac Irta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stillpremed

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey who all here is going to be part of the postbac IRTA prgrm? !
is anyone here a past or current member in this program? if so, was it easy to meet fellow irta's? is it easy to find housing around the area?
thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

From my IRTA experience, your are limited to socializing with the people in your lab or department, maybe division. NIH is huge, and the building are spread far apart, so its not like there is a IRTA powow every lunch. I was stuck at the NIH. I had one friend my age the whole year. Wow, what a bore it was.

when i was a postbac irta (around 3 yrs ago), there were some fairly regular get-togethers with other students (postbac irtas, pre-irtas, etc) at the nih - usu happy hours around bethesda. i started hearing about them once i was signed on to some pre/postbac-irta email list...

Members don't see this ad :)
the IRTAs have weekly happy hours, a kickball team, a softball team, went on a ski trip, going on a beach trip, and have a listserve where people get groups to go to concerts and other events. You have to go to these things in order to find people, but they happen all the time and I've been impressed with how easy it was to get to know people right away. Just sign up for club PCR-- the listserve-- and you will hear about all of this stuff. Also people send out messages about housing too, so you might be able to find a place that way.