NIH PREP Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fayjay101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I am senior in college and will be graduating in May 2017. I'm a Biochemistry major with a 3.59 GPA. I have done three summers of research; two at Vanderbilt University working in a biology lab studying breast cancer and one at Rutgers doing public health related research studying cancer as well.
At the beginning of the semester I was planning on applying to Master's of Public Health programs in Epidemiology, but because Master's programs aren't really funded I decided I would just wait to apply to PhD programs after taking a gap year. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I have taken a GRE Prep class. I've been really interested in these NIH PREP programs, there are about 30 of these programs at universities all over the country.
I called one of the programs today and they made it sound like they are more interested in student's that aren't competitive, who have lower GPA's or students who actually need research experience and who wouldn't be able to get into a good graduate school. They told me that accepting someone like me could take an opportunity away from someone who really needs the experience. I know I could get into now, without taking a gap year, but I just want another year of research experience especially in the public health realm since my university doesn't have a school of public health and has limited coursework in public health.
As a back up I'm going to be applying to NIH IRTA programs in Bethesda, MD and for research assistant positions where I live.
Have any of you had experience applying to Post Baccalaureate programs? What kinds of students do they tend to look for? Do I actually sound too competitive or could it just be that's what that particular university looks for?

Members don't see this ad.

Would you mind starting by telling me which program this was that you contacted?