NIH summer fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How prestigious are these things--it's only for 2 months long. And what about cloisters--NIH/HHMI research scholars program? I am interested in research, but I don't know if 2 months is sufficient to do anything. Plus, which stands out more on a CV? Is it pretty significant to take a yr off to do research at NIH? I have been working in a lab for abt a yr now. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I can't stress enough the importance of having genuine interest in wanting to do research for what it is...not for what it can do for your CV. I am not being naive by thinking that it doesn't help when it comes time to apply for residency, grants, scholarships, etc. but, if you are thinking about taking time off to do it, make sure you realize what you are sacrificing (time, potential salary, graduating in another class...). With that being said, sure the "NIH" will put a little spring in your CV but a paper in "Science" coming from the NIH or Podunk Univ. is still a paper in "Science"...it's all about your quality of work, not where it was done. And keeping realistic, if you are interested in seeing a project from start to finish, a year, let alone two months, is hardly sufficient to accomplish something worthwhile.