NIH summer internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drguy22

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone do this type of internship at the NIH over the summer...i got it today..and im gonna do it...if anyone did it wat was ur experience like?

Members don't see this ad.

drguy22 said:
Anyone do this type of internship at the NIH over the summer...i got it today..and im gonna do it...if anyone did it wat was ur experience like?

I've never worked there, but my friends have. They loved it. Some people do a lot of work, but it seemed like they majority partied all the time. My super smart friend did such a great job with his project, he was offered a part time job over the school year. $10,000 for going in one day a week. I was very jealous :D

I bet you'll learn a lot and have fun at the same time :D

tinkerbelle said:
I've never worked there, but my friends have. They loved it. Some people do a lot of work, but it seemed like they majority partied all the time. My super smart friend did such a great job with his project, he was offered a part time job over the school year. $10,000 for going in one day a week. I was very jealous :D

I bet you'll learn a lot and have fun at the same time :D

YA!....im def goin now:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Howd you go about applying to internships for NIH? I am new to this type of thing and I have NO idea where to begin!! Help?

MohMan said:
Howd you go about applying to internships for NIH? I am new to this type of thing and I have NO idea where to begin!! Help?

http://preirta.nih.gov is another good site in addition to the training site.

Those of us who have been accepted to the fall 2005 medical school class, are we even eligible for this stuff? It seems like it's for those 'interested in medicine'. I can't find many things that we 'in-betweeners' are eligible for.

I was an IRTA. It all depends on the post-doc you work with. If you feel that they will not provide you with a good experience, do yourself a favor and ask for a change before it is too late.

Don't expect a publication unless you are a post-bac and will be able to work year-round. Sometimes people get lucky and join a project at a good time. Good luck to you.

Go to the main NIH campus in Bethesda.

Stay away from the GRC (NIA) situated on Johns Hopkins Bayview campus.

Mephisto said:
Those of us who have been accepted to the fall 2005 medical school class, are we even eligible for this stuff? It seems like it's for those 'interested in medicine'. I can't find many things that we 'in-betweeners' are eligible for.

im in med skool fall 2005 and we are elegible for it...although the deadline is approaching...

i forgot to say this..but....NIH buidlings are ridiculously awesome...and man i have never seen that kind of technology EVER!

I've only worked with NIH/NCI peripherally but I have many friends and colleagues there who absolutely love it. One very established researcher told me it was "paradise"- granted, for geeks maybe, but I respect his opinion a lot.

uptoolate said:
I've only worked with NIH/NCI peripherally but I have many friends and colleagues there who absolutely love it. One very established researcher told me it was "paradise"- granted, for geeks maybe, but I respect his opinion a lot.

I work at the GRC on the Bayview campus, and as much as I would love to argue that it's a great place to work, I cannot. Stay far, far away, preferably by going to main campus (NCI perhaps?).

The IRTA program is an amazing opportunity for students who are interested in careers in biomedical research. Although the pay is a bit low, the amount of resources available and opportunities for advancement are significant.

That being said...if you really want to be in Baltimore, I suggest working at Hopkins.

Best of luck!

i did it last summer and my mentor worked me like a dog. woke up at 6, 45 minute commute on the metro from northern virginia to bethesda maryland and left nih at 6 pm to be back at 7.

oh yeah, i was a volunteer too. !#$!$%.

but complaining aside, this was probably the most valuable experience that i had ever done, and i really started appreciating it a few weeks in. I wasn't just a slave to be told what to do, my mentor made sure that I knew what I was doing, why I was doing it, and then basically sent me off on my own to do it for the remainder of the summer. Learned a lot about self-sufficiency. All in all, I loved it, and I'm returning this summer, hopefully being paid this time.

by the way, which building are you gonna be at? I'm at the NIDCR, building 30. and shouldn't you be relaxing? you already got into med school, go wild in the tropics or something. :thumbup:

congrats drguy22!

I'm jealous if you don't mind me asking what kind of research experience did you have to get you in? How was the interview? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
mshheaddoc said:
congrats drguy22!

I'm jealous if you don't mind me asking what kind of research experience did you have to get you in? How was the interview? Thanks :)

just some clinical stuff....nothing special....it wasnt really a interview....she told me i had it if i wanted it...and my jaw dropped....ill be in building 10...:) that building is HOT!

tinkerbelle said:
$10,000 for going in one day a week. I was very jealous :D

10Gs is nothing

Those of you going to med school should look into research assistantships (may be called something else at your school).

Research Assistantships rock because:
-you aren't allowed to work more than 10 hours while in school (don't want research to get in the way of school)
-you get paid (about $14 per hour)
-you get a 25% reduction in tuition
-you get research experience that looks sweet when applying for competitive specialties
-you will probably develop a significant relationship with a faculty member who will be a great reference/letter writer in the future

drguy22 said:
just some clinical stuff....nothing special....it wasnt really a interview....she told me i had it if i wanted it...and my jaw dropped....ill be in building 10...:) that building is HOT!

lol :) will you be in the CRC (the beautiful new part of building 10?). THAT part is HOT. I'm on the 4th floor of the old section and I eat lunch in the atrium of the CRC because there's more natural light in that section. If you come here, I hope you enjoy it!

nairay said:
lol :) will you be in the CRC (the beautiful new part of building 10?). THAT part is HOT. I'm on the 4th floor of the old section and I eat lunch in the atrium of the CRC because there's more natural light in that section. If you come here, I hope you enjoy it!
yep..im in the new section:) hematology branch:)

ive been looking into the irta program also and ive discovered that the best way to get into the program was to contact a PI directly. Is this the case? and how did you choose amongst the thousands of PI's to contact? also, any suggestions for "good" labs to contact would be helpful. Thanks.

xraygray said:
ive been looking into the irta program also and ive discovered that the best way to get into the program was to contact a PI directly. Is this the case? and how did you choose amongst the thousands of PI's to contact? also, any suggestions for "good" labs to contact would be helpful. Thanks.
i contacted a few PI's and they said they didnt have room...but one of em told someone else...and that PI contacted me:)

hehe, i'll be an IRTA this summer. I'll be doing Infectious Diseases at the NIAID.

holler at me if you'll be there! I"m excited, to say the least.

:eek:

anyone get anything in the mail regarding the stipend or anything??? i have gotten emails for the required courses for lab saftey ect ect. but nothin else...

drguy22 said:
anyone get anything in the mail regarding the stipend or anything??? i have gotten emails for the required courses for lab saftey ect ect. but nothin else...

I'm just a senior out of high school, but I'll also be at building 10 this summer :) This site tells you how much you'll be paid, based on your educational experience. Looks like you'll be making $2000/month.

http://www.training.nih.gov/stipends.asp#app5

acutally once i start, i wont be a undergrad anymore, cuz ill already have my bachelors so i think (hope) its 2100

hiya,
still looking for housing in the bethesda area. hard to find a good place i guess.

saphenous said:
hiya,
still looking for housing in the bethesda area. hard to find a good place i guess.

im stayin at american university summer housing....280/week furnished.

I'm going to be at the NIDCR this summer june 18-august 11...anybody going at this time? I'm looking for housing, but I have no idea what area is ideal. I won't have a car, so I need someplace walking distance or close to the metro. Also I'd prefer a place walking distance to some cute shops, cafes, etc! share your experiences and advice w/ me!

drguy22 said:

I got that in the email too - for required courses for lab safety. What's the deal with that? That whole attachment was quite confusing. Do we just show up the first day? What else do we need to prepare besides immunizations?

jeanslee said:
hehe, i'll be an IRTA this summer. I'll be doing Infectious Diseases at the NIAID.

holler at me if you'll be there! I"m excited, to say the least.

:eek:
Hey! i'm at the NIAID now.. will be here till Aug most likely. To all those on their way here, it's a GREAT opportunity. i've loved it. will be posting here and on ClubPCR soon about housing to find someone to replace me, so be on the lookout for those who don't know where they're living yet.

drguy22 said:
acutally once i start, i wont be a undergrad anymore, cuz ill already have my bachelors so i think (hope) its 2100

I'm not sure if it's different for those just researching during the summer, but i'm here on a year long contract as an IRTA and get 1850/mo. and had previous lab experience and a BS when i started work.

jeanslee said:
I got that in the email too - for required courses for lab safety. What's the deal with that? That whole attachment was quite confusing. Do we just show up the first day? What else do we need to prepare besides immunizations?

Keep in mind this is the government you are dealing with, and with bureaucracy comes lots and lots of orientations and paperwork. It took me about 2-3 weeks to fully get settled in with my lab, paperwork-wise (it was probably a combination of bureaucracy + an incompetent lab secretary that contributed to this). There are tons of little "online orientations" and attending orientations you might have to do, from lab safety to a basic NIH orientation to the patient management system (if you're working with pts) to ethics (even though we are peons in the hierarchy, we are not exempt from the conflict of interest news that has come about.)

Sorry, I don't mean to be too harsh. I have loved my time here as well and will be moving out in August, so keep an eye out on PCR and here for housing options. I do remember needing to bring proof of citizenship (I had to have my parents send a notarized copy of my passport since my driver's license wouldn't do), and the immunizations. And depending what lab you're in, or if you'll be working with patients, keep updated on TB tests, etc.

I hope you enjoy the summer here! There will be tons of things going on in DC for fun (people on PCR usually plan trips, day outings, etc, movies on the Mall and at nearby Strathmore's big lawns, etc).

dnelsen said:
10Gs is nothing

Those of you going to med school should look into research assistantships (may be called something else at your school).

Research Assistantships rock because:
-you aren't allowed to work more than 10 hours while in school (don't want research to get in the way of school)
-you get paid (about $14 per hour)
-you get a 25% reduction in tuition
-you get research experience that looks sweet when applying for competitive specialties
-you will probably develop a significant relationship with a faculty member who will be a great reference/letter writer in the future

Do you have a list of schools that do this or some examples?
I can't find this at any of the UC's med school websites....where did you hear about it?

I know this thread is about summer internships, but I have a friend who is looking to fill a CRTA (Cancer Research Training Award) Position in his lab and he asked me to help spread the word because there havent been many applicants. Its a year long position at the main campus of NIH in the National Cancer Institute. And as a bit of incentive, CRTAs tend to make more $ than IRTAs do :p ...

Anyways, here is his email and contact information:

I am writing you on behalf of my mentor and laboratory head, Dr. Krishnendu Roy. Dr. Roy is Lab Head for the Laboratory of Clinical Trials Unit/ Developmental Therapeutics Program, a sub-sector of the National Cancer Institute (NIH, Bethesda MD). We are looking to fill the position that I will vacate upon my departure to graduate school.

Briefly, this laboratory conducts pure bench-top research. We deal with small molecule inhibitors of cancer. Our duty is characterize and elucidate the mechanism of inhibitory action of these new compounds.

This is a research position, not a laboratory technician position. The chosen candidate will continue current projects in addition to investigating new compounds and finding directions of their own in free time. Daily duties include tissue culture, western blotting, FACS analysis, development of resistant lines, as-well-as DNA, RNA, and protein analysis. This is an exciting opportunity and one that has rewarded me far more then I ever anticipated.

Please email me ([email protected]) urgently with your phone number, resume and best time for me to contact you if you are interested. We are looking to begin talking with a very select few candidates immediately.

-Ed

Bump!

I start Tuesday! :p

I'm working at the NICHD. Staying at the American University dorms. Are you staying at the Park Bethesda apartments, drguy22. I was thinking about living there, but the website said that the apartments are not furnished.

drguy22 said:
where at? im at NHLBI

and where ya both living?

imagoodmanyea said:
I'm working at the NICHD. Staying at the American University dorms. Are you staying at the Park Bethesda apartments, drguy22. I was thinking about living there, but the website said that the apartments are not furnished.

ya im stayin at park bethesda and the apartments are furnished just for the summer :)

You guys should have looked at the NIH housing list. You can find relatively cheap rooms for $400-$500. I got a furnished room by the White Flint metro station for $540 inlcuding digital cable and broadband.

Hoooba said:
You guys should have looked at the NIH housing list. You can find relatively cheap rooms for $400-$500. I got a furnished room by the White Flint metro station for $540 inlcuding digital cable and broadband.
ya i made that mistake of not looking this year...next year ill look.... :D

How competitive are the IRTA and CRTA positions?? Are these feasible while applying for med school? I noticed on the IRTA faqs it said there is no annual leave...are they very good at letting you go for med school interviews and such?? I have a good GPA, but not a ton of research experience, although I will have some by next summer when I hope to join this program.

River Rat said:
damnit guys...not looking forward to the commute tommorow morning :(

i use the metro....much faster! :cool:

River Rat said:
metro from where? im in northern virginia...metro was unpleasant last year. i think it was like an hour trip? i'm gonna try and leave at 5 every morning :scared:
where at the NIH u workin?

Hey guys, I'm leaving for med school before my IRTA position is up and my lab is looking for some people that are interested in my position at the NIH. I want to leave at the end of June for vacation so if anyone thinks they can do the application and then send me their information so I can track them down and recommend them for an interview that would be great. You can start after Aug 1st or whenever basically (I think)

For the person that asked if the position is competitive . . .yes, there were 1500 applicants when I was looking for people to interview for my position but it's all about connections so if I can track your name down, you are ahead of the 1500 other people.

For my position specifically, I work in a Physics lab with a whole bunch of physicists and mathematicians but the cool thing is that I'm working on angiogenesis and cell biology. The physicists do their own thing with my results that I get doing cell bio. It's great. Plus, I got to get my name on a paper in 4 months working here because they shoot out papers like crazy. It's great. My boss is super awesome and I have gone on vacation to California 4 times and Florida once since I've worked here. He's also let me take time off for my interviews. The only downsize is that if you need constant supervision, my job is not for you. It's basically one that you have to think about your research and do everything on your own although there is a really nice postdoc to help you.

IM me if you're interested in me hooking you up.

Oh yeah, and it helps if you're from a well known school . . .sorry, that's just the way it is . . .i.e. Columbia, Michigan, etc.

drguy22 said:
I did a summer internship at NICHD last summer. I was in building 10, the clinic. It was the best research experience ever. you get to learn a lot, and meet a ton of people who can and will guide you. definitely priceless.
congrats and good luck.

abcxyz said:
I did a summer internship at NICHD last summer. I was in building 10, the clinic. It was the best research experience ever. you get to learn a lot, and meet a ton of people who can and will guide you. definitely priceless.
congrats and good luck.

ya im having the time of my life! its the best.

HI! Im starting in late June as a PreCRTA!!!! Building 37 if anyone wanna come and visit :) :D