NJMS Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
baby4you said:
I interviewed yesterday, and he told me that the comm meets on thursdays and they have about two to three weeks delays, so he said they will have a decision in about three weeks. he also told me that the adm people will say longer but is not.

so why do you suppose I didnt hear anything? I interviewed on October 20! That is 6 weeks if I am not mistaken. :(

Members don't see this ad.

beponychick said:
so why do you suppose I didnt hear anything? I interviewed on October 20! That is 6 weeks if I am not mistaken. :(

i dont know, but he also said that he had accepted someone last week from my school, which i found out though a friend of mine, had interviewed around nov 4.
why dont you call then?

baby4you said:
i dont know, but he also said that he had accepted someone last week from my school, which i found out though a friend of mine, had interviewed around nov 4.
why dont you call then?

well i did call one time, and the lady without even looking me up, asked my interview date, and when i told her, she said I will hear in 6-8 weeks. so i dont know. im thinking i should write another note to Dr. Heinrich, but i dont know what to say. I mean, i got a few exam grades back in my masters program and i got As, but is that something to update him on? I would assume they would want my final semester grades, but those won't be in until January. I dont know what to do! :( :( :(

Members don't see this ad :)
beponychick said:
well i did call one time, and the lady without even looking me up, asked my interview date, and when i told her, she said I will hear in 6-8 weeks. so i dont know. im thinking i should write another note to Dr. Heinrich, but i dont know what to say. I mean, i got a few exam grades back in my masters program and i got As, but is that something to update him on? I would assume they would want my final semester grades, but those won't be in until January. I dont know what to do! :( :( :(

i dont know what to tell you, it sucksssssssssss to be waiting. maybe your interviewer took time to turn in your paper, mine said something like " i will have this ready by the end of the week blah, blah.." thats how i know.

on the other hand, the friend that i told you about also interviewed on the 4th and he doesnt know anything still.
i guess you will have to wait a little bit more. hope everything was well,

Thanks!! Yeah, I'm In-State.
Tuition's still a bit pricey, but sure beats the tuition at a private school!

What is this lunch this all about for accepted students? I was accepted and haven't heard anything about it. Was the info sent my email? when? Thanks!

yeah its a lunch scheduled on Jan 6th for accepted students, they havent sent anything out yet...i found out through the dean

baby4you said:
i dont know what to tell you, it sucksssssssssss to be waiting. maybe your interviewer took time to turn in your paper, mine said something like " i will have this ready by the end of the week blah, blah.." thats how i know.

on the other hand, the friend that i told you about also interviewed on the 4th and he doesnt know anything still.
i guess you will have to wait a little bit more. hope everything was well,

From what I am reading and from what my interviewer said, it depends on when the interviewer turns in the stuff...

Interesting video for uRM...wondering when the speech was made by Jordan Cohen.

anyone hear from NJMS this week yet?

waitlisted as of yesterday, it fcuking sucks

Gentle said:
Interesting video for uRM...wondering when the speech was made by Jordan Cohen.

Hi Gentle

The video was made less than a month ago.

busthwt said:

i want to be very real with u all....USUALLY once people begin to get waitlisted......it means that the seats are goin FAST....now, dont lose hope, i have seen people get in in april/march. They will still interview people, but prolly for a spot on the waitlist.

but dont lose hope..keep in contact with Dr. H, cuz if ur high enough on the list..u mite have a good shot of gettin in....

sorry if i upset anyone....

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, at your interview, how many and what questions did you ask your interviewer?

i only asked two. both were about the school....

i never asked-- when should i hear by? or when will you turn your evaluation in?... i thought those were inapproprate to ask.

theunderdog said:
hey guys, at your interview, how many and what questions did you ask your interviewer?

i only asked two. both were about the school....

i never asked-- when should i hear by? or when will you turn your evaluation in?... i thought those were inapproprate to ask.
haha..i remember at my interview..i was asked 2 questions and i asked like 10...

busthwt said:

sorry to hear about the waitlist. how were you notified? snail mail or e-mail? and when did you interview?

mich15 said:
sorry to hear about the waitlist. how were you notified? snail mail or e-mail? and when did you interview?

November 4th, by snail mail. Pretty cold letter though. 2nd time going through the same situation.

Hi guys,

I have sad news too. I didnt get the letter yet, but Dr. Heinrich emailed and told me I am placed on the alternate list. It was such a sad sad day yesterday. I cried and cried and cried. :(

However, the assistant dean at Drexel (with whom I interviewed back in September) emailed and said that I should be hearing good news soon from them. So I gather that Im in!!! What a wild wild weekend!!! ;)

medhacker said:
Hi Gentle

The video was made less than a month ago.

Thanks medhacker! Pretty recent then.

beponychick said:
Hi guys,

I have sad news too. I didnt get the letter yet, but Dr. Heinrich emailed and told me I am placed on the alternate list. It was such a sad sad day yesterday. I cried and cried and cried. :(

However, the assistant dean at Drexel (with whom I interviewed back in September) emailed and said that I should be hearing good news soon from them. So I gather that Im in!!! What a wild wild weekend!!! ;)

did he tell you what tier of the waitlist you are on?

usually the first tier people all get in, while the middle tier have a few getting in and the last tier nobody gets in

ASDIC said:

usually the first tier people all get in, while the middle tier have a few getting in and the last tier nobody gets in

Well I didnt get the letter yet. So I am not sure if its written in the letter. He told me via email that i am on the alternate list. I assume this is the waitlist correct?

alternate list is the waitlist...it would be good to ask him where on the waitlist you stand.

beponychick said:
Hi guys,

Im so sad for you, I know you were waiting to hear from them,
however, you have good news,
so congratulations.............. :) :D ;) :thumbup:

busthwt said:

hey, im sorry :( ,
congrats on your other acceptance, :D

baby4you said:
hey, im sorry :( ,
congrats on your other acceptance, :D

Thank you, good luck with your process. AHHHH screw NJMS I'm gonna go to princeton medical school

ASDIC said:

From my experience last year, there wasn't much, if any, waitlist movement.

havoc14 said:
From my experience last year, there wasn't much, if any, waitlist movement.

What do you mean by there wasn't any waitlist movement? You gotta realize that NJMS is a safety school for a large proportion of those who get accepted early on and send their deposit checks. Unless NJMS initially accepts more people than it can accomodate, the waitlist is going to move, and pretty fast too. So if you're on the alternate list, thought your interview was decent, and you're around their avg stats (~29 MCAT, decent GPA), then you're almost assured a seat.

beponychick said:

Don't let him scare you!! He wasn't on the admissions committee to say that from his experience there was no waitlist movement. You're getting in, methinks :luck:

NJDUDE said:
So if you're on the alternate list, thought your interview was decent, and you're around their avg stats (~29 MCAT, decent GPA), then you're almost assured a seat.

Not true. I had a friend with a 28MCAT, 4.0GPA from her post-bacc program with a few publications under her belt and was waitlisted and then rejected. Ended up with an acceptance at RWJMS so she went there.

Stats and interview don't guarantee you a seat - all they do is put you in a better running. This doesn't mean that its hopeless, it just means you gotta be patient and hope that things workout for you. In fact, the same friend who got into RWJMS was given the acceptance a few weeks before MS1 year started so stay on that waitlist as long as you can and keep sending updated info.

SkylineMD said:
Not true. I had a friend with a 28MCAT, 4.0GPA from her post-bacc program with a few publications under her belt and was waitlisted and then rejected. Ended up with an acceptance at RWJMS so she went there.

Stats and interview don't guarantee you a seat - all they do is put you in a better running. This doesn't mean that its hopeless, it just means you gotta be patient and hope that things workout for you. In fact, the same friend who got into RWJMS was given the acceptance a few weeks before MS1 year started so stay on that waitlist as long as you can and keep sending updated info.

Well yea... I meant really UMDNJ as a whole... Since the topic of the thread was NJMS, I used that, but I really meant NJ med schools. With two allopathic in-state schools and MCATS around their avgs with a decent undergrad record, I think that an acceptance is very highly likely for a resident.

NJDUDE said:
Don't let him scare you!! He wasn't on the admissions committee to say that from his experience there was no waitlist movement. You're getting in, methinks :luck:

Well I had somewhat decent stats and I thought my interview went REALLY well, but im still on that list. Oh well. thanks for the encouragement. I think they overaccept so that may be a reason why there is little waitlist movement. :(

I know this isn't NJMS-specific, but I called RWJ yesterday for a status update and was told they'd be getting to out-of-staters "very soon." Cross your fingers...

silverdime said:
I know this isn't NJMS-specific, but I called RWJ yesterday for a status update and was told they'd be getting to out-of-staters "very soon." Cross your fingers...

so i called rwj yesterday and got a similar answer that "we haven't gotten aorund to interviewing out-of-staters yet" is this really true? because i thought i knew some people on sdn who were out-of-staters and received an acceptance. maybe i'm confusing them with the other njms?

and does anybody know the accepted stats of out-of-staters? i'm sure they have to be higher than in-staters right? am wondering if i even have a chance. (talking about rwj here, if there is even a difference in stats.)

bubbleyum said:
so i called rwj yesterday and got a similar answer that "we haven't gotten aorund to interviewing out-of-staters yet" is this really true? because i thought i knew some people on sdn who were out-of-staters and received an acceptance. maybe i'm confusing them with the other njms?

Well, I can tell you that there was one out-of-state applicant in my interview pool yesterday at RWJ. The rest were all in-state and the majority of them were from Rutgers. :rolleyes:

beponychick said:
Well, I can tell you that there was one out-of-state applicant in my interview pool yesterday at RWJ. The rest were all in-state and the majority of them were from Rutgers. :rolleyes:

dang it, i knew they were feeding me a line! :p

NJDUDE said:
What do you mean by there wasn't any waitlist movement? You gotta realize that NJMS is a safety school for a large proportion of those who get accepted early on and send their deposit checks. Unless NJMS initially accepts more people than it can accomodate, the waitlist is going to move, and pretty fast too. So if you're on the alternate list, thought your interview was decent, and you're around their avg stats (~29 MCAT, decent GPA), then you're almost assured a seat.

we were told by Dr. H during the luncheon last year that the class was filled by early jan. I have also seen that there is VERY little waitlist movement. This isnt meant to scare anyone...its still possible that you will get it. But the waitlist movement isnt drastic.

NJDUDE said:
I wasn't trying to scare anyone. I was only sharing what happened last year. I had been told that I was very high on the list and in past years my spot had been selected. I guess I got my hopes up too soon because I was very disappointed when I didn't get in. But throughout the process Dr. H was great. He advised that if I really wanted to come to NJMS, I should get stareted on an early decision app for 2006, in case things didn't work out in 2005. So I applied early decision, and got in. Usually if you're on the higher part of the list, it'll say that on your waitlist letter. And for the most part that means you'll be accepted this year, and if not, then next.

havoc14 said:
I wasn't trying to scare anyone. I was only sharing what happened last year. I had been told that I was very high on the list and in past years my spot had been selected. I guess I got my hopes up too soon because I was very disappointed when I didn't get in. But throughout the process Dr. H was great. He advised that if I really wanted to come to NJMS, I should get stareted on an early decision app for 2006, in case things didn't work out in 2005. So I applied early decision, and got in. Usually if you're on the higher part of the list, it'll say that on your waitlist letter. And for the most part that means you'll be accepted this year, and if not, then next.

but that assumes that you have no other acceptances. For instance, if I get accepted to another school lower down on my list, I would not be able to reapply the following year. Do you guys think it is a good idea to mention other acceptances or no?