myair

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
what is the splitting pattern on one of the hydrogen in the benzene ring?

is it doublet ? or triplet ?
n+1

klutzy1987

StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
what is the splitting pattern on one of the hydrogen in the benzene ring?

is it doublet ? or triplet ?
n+1

It depends, if the ring is not substituted then there is no splitting because all the hydrogens are the same. Mono-subtiuted,di,tri-it depends I need a specific example.

joedat41

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
if there is no substitution so even though the hydrogens on the benzene ring are neighbors, there is still no splitting because they are identical hydrogens. If the benzene ring is substituted then it is a different story.

klutzy1987

StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
if there is no substitution so even though the hydrogens on the benzene ring are neighbors, there is still no splitting because they are identical hydrogens. If the benzene ring is substituted then it is a different story.

What did I say wrong??

About the Ads

joedat41

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
nothing just adding to was you said klutzy. i just adding that there is no splitting for identical neighbors. Its pretty much what you said just clarifying it

AfroChapin

Dec 14, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
What if there are two equiavalent substituents on each side of the ring? I thought the aromatic hydrogens would then display two doublets?

The answer is a singlet, I don't understand why.

RCT PC CRN

RCT-PC-CRN
May 12, 2009
Status (Visible)
So is it fair to say that in order for splitting to occur you need different neighboring H?

So basically you will have minimum 2 signal if there is a splitting, right? Only one signal with splitting is not possible, like plain benzene.

gigawatt

Jul 7, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
What if there are two equiavalent substituents on each side of the ring? I thought the aromatic hydrogens would then display two doublets?

The answer is a singlet, I don't understand why.

If you're talking about two identical substituents para to each other, as in p-xylene, then all four aromatic hydrogens are exactly the same, and do not split each other as explained above. In this case, all 6 methyl hydrogens are exactly the same as well, so the spectrum for p-xylene only shows two singlets.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.