NMR Spectroscopy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to tell if atoms are equivalent? Do you look directly at what the carbon is bonded to or what? I'm a little confused with this.

Members don't see this ad.

You mean with acids and bases?

No, this may be really basic but I want to make sure I understand. Here's an example question.

How many signals does 1,3,5 tribromobenzene have in its 13C NMR spectrum?

So you would need to identify the equivalent and nonequivalent carbons right?

There are two Carbon signals, okay so first draw out the compound and then you'll see the bromines, so at the middle there is one, and at the bromine is the second one. Get it? all the others are the same, just rotated.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, this may be really basic but I want to make sure I understand. Here's an example question.

How many signals does 1,3,5 tribromobenzene have in its 13C NMR spectrum?

So you would need to identify the equivalent and nonequivalent carbons right?

Best way to test if atoms are equivalent is stick something like Br on the two atoms in question. If the name of molecule changes, the two atoms are not equivalent. For example, lets say you have butane and wanted to see if the hydrogens on carbon 2 and 3 are equivalent or not. Replace one hydrogen on carbon number 2 and you will have 2-bromobutane. Now replace one hydrogen on carbon 3 and you still have 2-bromobutane. Since the name of the molecules is the same, the hydrogens are equivlanet.

Best way to test if atoms are equivalent is stick something like Br on the two atoms in question. If the name of molecule changes, the two atoms are not equivalent. For example, lets say you have butane and wanted to see if the hydrogens on carbon 2 and 3 are equivalent or not. Replace one hydrogen on carbon number 2 and you will have 2-bromobutane. Now replace one hydrogen on carbon 3 and you still have 2-bromobutane. Since the name of the molecules is the same, the hydrogens are equivlanet.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Beautiful, thanks so much. I had read that but for some reason it just made more sense this time!