Nmr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RHONDAROBINSON

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble understanding NMR. Can someone explain to me how many tell how many signals will appear for a certain compound. Let's take C13 NMR spectrum for 1,5 dichloropentane. Thanks.

rr

Members don't see this ad.

I think there would be 3 C13 NMR signals for 1,5-dichloropentane...

There are 3 different sets of Carbon atoms in this molecule. Each carbon that is attached to a cholrine has the same connectivity (Cl and then another CH2) so there is 1 signal. The two CH2 groups have the same connectivity (One to a Carbon with Cl and another CH2) which is a second signal. The last signal comes from the #3 carbon in the middle of the chain which gives off another signal because it is the only Carbon attached to two CH2's).

Also, I believe the carbons that are attached to the Cl's will be further downfield (left side of the field) because they are close to electronegative atoms (the Cl's)

If you can follow that, I believe it is correct.

Also, use the website Spectral Database for Organic Compounds

Great tool for H' NMR and IR stuff.

Ok for C13 NMR, you need to find the number of different carbon atoms. For 1,5-dichloropentane, you see that there is a chlorine attached to the 1-carbon and the 5-carbon (see the attached picture for reference).

So just by looking at this structure, do you notice that carbons 1 and 5 are the same? They both have a chlorine attached to them, and they both have 3 carbons between each other (carbons 2,3, and 4).

Now if you look at the other carbons (2,3,4) they have no atoms bonded to them. However, by looking at carbons 2 and 4, you will notice they are the same. Why? Because both are next to a chlorine-bonded carbon, and both have a carbon between them (carbon 3).

As for carbon 3, it is not similar to any of the carbons, so it will register its own peak.

Therefore, you should see a total of 3 peaks for this C13 NMR.

Peak 1- A result of carbon-1 and carbon-5 with the chlorines
Peak 2- A result of carbon-2 and carbon-4, which are next to the chlorine carbons
Peak 3- A result of carbon-3, which has no other similar carbons.

Remember, whenever you see a peak in NMR, it doesn't mean that this peak is the result of a single carbon atom. This peak could be the result of 2,3 or even 5 carbon atoms, but the thing is they are all the same (meaning they have the same bondage).

I'm sorry if this did not explain it properly. PM me if you have further questions.

Attachments

• 628-76-2.gif
    628-76-2.gif
    987 bytes · Views: 55