no bachelor's yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cb77

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea: I'm wondering if anyone has run it to the problem I'm facing at the moment. I previously wanted to go to pharmacy school and to finish all my prerequisites as fast as possible, I ended up taking orgo I and II and physics I at a community college, since i didn't care if the classes would transfer back to my school. Now, I determined that I don't want to spend the rest of my life at DR or riteaid, and I'm planning to apply to dental school. I haven't finished my bachelor's yet, need another semester and a half to finish and my gpa is 3.8. I am now preparing for the DAT and my question is, what do dental schools think about classes taken at a CC and with my credentials, is it possible to give it a shot and apply to NYU for this year (their deadline is June 1st). How common is it that you get scholarships to dental schools? Maybe it would be worth it to finish my bachelor's, and apply for 2005 instead and hope for a better chance of getting a scholarship? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow..their deadline is really June 1st? But wouldn't you also have to fill out the AADSAS to apply to NYU? I think that their deadline for the 2004 cycle has already passed. Plus, it's already April and lots of spots are already taken. Since the new 2005 cycle will be starting soon, I'd just apply for that cycle instead. Your chances of getting accepted will be greater.
Hopefully someone else can give you more specific information on the scholarship info.

thank you for replying, Fantasia!!! I called NYU and was told that after AADSAS's deadline, April 1, you apply through the NYUCD directly, so I thought why not give it a try.... But, I wanted to get some other people's opinions first, that never hurts!

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest that you should forgo applying in the 2004 application cycle because it is so late into the cycle and you still haven't been to the interview, let alone taken the DAT. I think you should just concentrate all your energy into applying EARLY in the 2005 application cycle, that way, you will basically be given a scholarship with your high GPA and a nice bachelor degree to boot!

Good Luck :thumbup:

P.S: Get your Letter(s) of Evaluation and applicant essay prepared now if you haven't done so.

thanks for the info, The Musketeer, I really appreciate it. Do you think I will have any issues with my community college classes, do you recommend that I retake them or should i just take more science classes, such as microbiology, biochem?

cb77 said:
thanks for the info, The Musketeer, I really appreciate it. Do you think I will have any issues with my community college classes, do you recommend that I retake them or should i just take more science classes, such as microbiology, biochem?

Because I am from Canada, I have no experience in this area. It is best for you to contact your schools of interest and see what they think, or let fellow SDNers who have better knowledge of this situation to answer it. Sorry that I can't help you out here.

cb77 said:
:idea: I'm wondering if anyone has run it to the problem I'm facing at the moment. I previously wanted to go to pharmacy school and to finish all my prerequisites as fast as possible, I ended up taking orgo I and II and physics I at a community college, since i didn't care if the classes would transfer back to my school. Now, I determined that I don't want to spend the rest of my life at DR or riteaid, and I'm planning to apply to dental school. I haven't finished my bachelor's yet, need another semester and a half to finish and my gpa is 3.8. I am now preparing for the DAT and my question is, what do dental schools think about classes taken at a CC and with my credentials, is it possible to give it a shot and apply to NYU for this year (their deadline is June 1st). How common is it that you get scholarships to dental schools? Maybe it would be worth it to finish my bachelor's, and apply for 2005 instead and hope for a better chance of getting a scholarship? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

I say that it can't hurt. Get a solid DAT score and you have a decent shot of getting in with your GPA even at this juncture. However, every school wants to see you finish what you started so I don't know how they will look at you without your bachelor's degree. As for scholarships, I can tell you that there is pretty much little or chance at this juncture. However I think that any amount that you receive in scholarships will be more than compensated for by way of an extra year of salary, and getting into the profession earlier. It nevers hurts to try. The DAT is a pretty simple test, and if you know your science material well, you should get a good score with perhaps 1 or 2 weeks of study. Give it a shot, it looks like you are taking the DAT anyway for next season, so just shoot out an app with the $50 or whatever they charge and you might save yourself a year.

Your other option is to finish your Bachelor's degree and apply UOP next year (DAT scores in the 20s required).

thanks for the info, sxr71. Do you have any knowledge of dental schools opinions about community college classes? I only took a few classes there, in order to get into the pharmacy school (which only req. two years of preprof. studies, and didn't care where the classes were taken...) but then I realized pharm is not my thing...

you'd better call NYU to ask about your courses. SOme schools prefer you take those prequisite courses in a 4 year institution. It depends. I think you'd better hold off till next cycle, it takes 3 to 4 weeks to get the DAT transcript and quite some time to put things together. Plus, you have better chance to get in your instate school. NYU is very expensive.

Waiting in vain, :eek:

my1molar said:
you'd better call NYU to ask about your courses. SOme schools prefer you take those prequisite courses in a 4 year institution. It depends. I think you'd better hold off till next cycle, it takes 3 to 4 weeks to get the DAT transcript and quite some time to put things together. Plus, you have better chance to get in your instate school. NYU is very expensive.

Waiting in vain, :eek:

thanks, my1molar!!! I am so glad I found this forum!

NYU is still interviewing...so if you do well on the DAT, you can apply ASAP and see. Otherwise, you should be fine for next year. What state do you live in? If you're in NY, you can always go in person too.