No Biochem, yo! What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WutzUpDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, Dental school is a decision I made after I graduated from my undergrad. Although I have taken most of the prereqs, I am missing Biochemistry and Calculus. Those are commonly needed to my surprise! Now, I can just apply to the small range of schools that don't require these classes, but I'm wondering if taking these classes at a local community college would be a good idea. Yay or nay?

Members don't see this ad.

Check out doc toothaches guide in the stickies. He goes into all the detail you could want on CC credits and D school admissions. Personally, I'd take them at a 4-year if you have a nearby state school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a non-traditional applicant as well, so I had to get creative about how to take all the pre-reqs, especially since my travel schedule with the military prevented me from taking in-person courses. Oregon State offers a lot of great hybrid courses that have in-person labs. Even as a non-degree seeking student, I never had trouble getting into a class. For biochem, I took the two quarter pre-medical general biochemistry sequence (BB450 and 451) although they also offer a one quarter elementary biochemistry class. Be forewarned however, the curve is still in the biochem classes as only the top 10% get A's and A-'s.

If you have time, take those classes. If you don't, well then apply to schools that don't require it or apply to ones that do and take it during Spring before matriculation if accepted.

I don't see why you are not choosing to take them. You have until spring to finish. It's 2 classes so just take them and get them out of the way. Most DS require them anyways. Calculus you should be able to take at a cc but biochemistry is one you will have to look into.

Some schools specifically says Biochem only from 4 year university.

which schools need calculus? Pretty sure there are very few

Even if you go to a school that doesn't require biochem, I suggest taking it anyway. The pace of biochemistry in dental school is very fast. If I hadn't taken biochem before dental school, I'd really be struggling right now.

Even if you go to a school that doesn't require biochem, I suggest taking it anyway. The pace of biochemistry in dental school is very fast. If I hadn't taken biochem before dental school, I'd really be struggling right now.
:thumbup:

Thanks for the advice everyone! The only problem is finding the funds. I JUST graduated from undergrad... Wonder if i could easily go back and take classes? I'll look into it.