No committee letter a red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

soontobedoc98

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone

I was curious if not having a committee letter would be a red flag on apps? I am trying to get one but graduated in two years ago and am on the lower side of stats. My school has a cutoff GPA-wise I may not meet (I meet the MCAT cutoff)

Do schools really ask why I may not have one?

thank you

@Goro @gonnif @LizzyM @Mr.Smile12
 
Hi everyone

I was curious if not having a committee letter would be a red flag on apps? I am trying to get one but graduated in two years ago and am on the lower side of stats. My school has a cutoff GPA-wise I may not meet (I meet the MCAT cutoff)

Do schools really ask why I may not have one?

thank you

@Goro @gonnif @LizzyM @Mr.Smile12
The rule of thumb is that med schools used to seeing committee LORs from thier feeder schools may very well ask why you don't have such a letter.

Just tell the truth if they ask, or don't apply to such schools.

Non-trads seem to get cut more slack on this issue.

It's NOT a kiss of death to lack a committee LOR
 
The rule of thumb is that med schools used to seeing committee LORs from thier feeder schools may very well ask why you don't have such a letter.

Just tell the truth if they ask, or don't apply to such schools.

Non-trads seem to get cut more slack on this issue.

It's NOT a kiss of death to lack a committee LOR

Thank you! My undergrad definitely wasn't a feeder school. However, I graduated in May 2020, so not super nontrad. Worst comes to worst, I will just have my school upload a letter packet with all individual letters. There's no other option.

I'm just glad it won't be detrimental. Thank you again.