No committee letter a red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soontobedoc98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I was curious if not having a committee letter would be a red flag on apps? I am trying to get one but graduated in two years ago and am on the lower side of stats. My school has a cutoff GPA-wise I may not meet (I meet the MCAT cutoff)

Do schools really ask why I may not have one?

thank you

@Goro @gonnif @LizzyM @Mr.Smile12

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone

I was curious if not having a committee letter would be a red flag on apps? I am trying to get one but graduated in two years ago and am on the lower side of stats. My school has a cutoff GPA-wise I may not meet (I meet the MCAT cutoff)

Do schools really ask why I may not have one?

thank you

@Goro @gonnif @LizzyM @Mr.Smile12
The rule of thumb is that med schools used to seeing committee LORs from thier feeder schools may very well ask why you don't have such a letter.

Just tell the truth if they ask, or don't apply to such schools.

Non-trads seem to get cut more slack on this issue.

It's NOT a kiss of death to lack a committee LOR

Reactions: 1 users
The rule of thumb is that med schools used to seeing committee LORs from thier feeder schools may very well ask why you don't have such a letter.

Just tell the truth if they ask, or don't apply to such schools.

Non-trads seem to get cut more slack on this issue.

It's NOT a kiss of death to lack a committee LOR

Thank you! My undergrad definitely wasn't a feeder school. However, I graduated in May 2020, so not super nontrad. Worst comes to worst, I will just have my school upload a letter packet with all individual letters. There's no other option.

I'm just glad it won't be detrimental. Thank you again.

Reactions: 1 users