No Dramatic Story?

Started by gsims2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gsims2

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m in the process of writing my personal statement and while checking out others before me, I notice there are a ton of dramatic stories that individuals use as reasons to be a doctor. Some of them true but most likely some are either made up or exaggerated. My personal experience does not consist of a dramatic story or life experience that made me want to be a doctor. I’ve always wanted to be a doctor since I was young and could not see myself doing anything different. I want to be a pillar in my community that others can count on. It goes much deeper than that but is there a huge need for a dramatic story or experience when writing personal statements? I feel like being genuine and passionate about your reasoning is the important thing but would like some advice from others on this.
 
I’m in the process of writing my personal statement and while checking out others before me, I notice there are a ton of dramatic stories that individuals use as reasons to be a doctor. Some of them true but most likely some are either made up or exaggerated. My personal experience does not consist of a dramatic story or life experience that made me want to be a doctor. I’ve always wanted to be a doctor since I was young and could not see myself doing anything different. I want to be a pillar in my community that others can count on. It goes much deeper than that but is there a huge need for a dramatic story or experience when writing personal statements? I feel like being genuine and passionate about your reasoning is the important thing but would like some advice from others on this.
While stories of loss are common and can serve as powerful motivators for pursuing medicine (especially if it was a parent who passed away), these stories are by no means necessary nor sufficient for a successful application. Focus on showing your own story and values.

However, I would caution you against saying that "I’ve always wanted to be a doctor since I was young and could not see myself doing anything different". These types of statements usually strike me as being naive.
 
I’m in the process of writing my personal statement and while checking out others before me, I notice there are a ton of dramatic stories that individuals use as reasons to be a doctor. Some of them true but most likely some are either made up or exaggerated. My personal experience does not consist of a dramatic story or life experience that made me want to be a doctor. I’ve always wanted to be a doctor since I was young and could not see myself doing anything different. I want to be a pillar in my community that others can count on. It goes much deeper than that but is there a huge need for a dramatic story or experience when writing personal statements? I feel like being genuine and passionate about your reasoning is the important thing but would like some advice from others on this.

IMO, it's helpful to have a tangible experience to point towards. Your childhood conception of what it's like might (probably) doesn't map onto the real day-to-day work of doctoring.

People might get flowery with their word choice, but I would like to think that most of my peers are not grossly exaggerating the content.

If you can find a way to tie your ambitions with your clinical experience(s) and current contributions to your community, that might be ideal.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just my n=1, but I didn’t have a dramatic story.

What I had was a longterm interest that I validated in certain, concrete ways. I talked about that. You don’t need to blow people away with a particular moment. You need to make your reader feel confident that
1. you know what you’re getting into
2. that you’re interested in medicine for the long haul
3. that you’ve done the hard introspective work of figuring out what drives you toward that goal.
 
Just my n=1, but I didn’t have a dramatic story.

What I had was a longterm interest that I validated in certain, concrete ways. I talked about that. You don’t need to blow people away with a particular moment. You need to make your reader feel confident that
1. you know what you’re getting into
2. that you’re interested in medicine for the long haul
3. that you’ve done the hard introspective work of figuring out what drives you toward that goal.
I agree with this. To add on: the best stories usually don't have a single "A-ha" moment, but rather, are the result of multiple experiences that gradually confirmed that this is the right path for an applicant.
 
I’m in the process of writing my personal statement and while checking out others before me, I notice there are a ton of dramatic stories that individuals use as reasons to be a doctor. Some of them true but most likely some are either made up or exaggerated. My personal experience does not consist of a dramatic story or life experience that made me want to be a doctor. I’ve always wanted to be a doctor since I was young and could not see myself doing anything different. I want to be a pillar in my community that others can count on. It goes much deeper than that but is there a huge need for a dramatic story or experience when writing personal statements? I feel like being genuine and passionate about your reasoning is the important thing but would like some advice from others on this.

No because in most cases dramatic stories are something that HAPPENED to you rather than something you ACHIEVED. Schools care more about what you accomplished rather than life circumstances. For instance, if someone had childhood diabetes that is something that happened to them and there are many personal statements out there like this (mom had abortion, dad had lupus, dog had AIDS). However, there are fewer personal statements about achievement (starting a national non-profit, leading a homeless clinic in your community), and I believe that is more indicative of a promising medical student.
 
No because in most cases dramatic stories are something that HAPPENED to you rather than something you ACHIEVED. Schools care more about what you accomplished rather than life circumstances. For instance, if someone had childhood diabetes that is something that happened to them and there are many personal statements out there like this (mom had abortion, dad had lupus, dog had AIDS). However, there are fewer personal statements about achievement (starting a national non-profit, leading a homeless clinic in your community), and I believe that is more indicative of a promising medical student.
I agree that personal achievements are important, but life circumstances do also play an important role as well. Someone who has struggled with type I diabetes, or came to the US as a refugee, etc, would bring with them a wealth of experiences that otherwise may be lacking from a class. These types of experiences may also demonstrate qualities that are highly desirable in a medical student / future doctor.
 
I agree that personal achievements are important, but life circumstances do also play an important role as well. Someone who has struggled with type I diabetes, or came to the US as a refugee, etc, would bring with them a wealth of experiences that otherwise may be lacking from a class. These types of experiences may also demonstrate qualities that are highly desirable in a medical student / future doctor.

I agree. I didn't mean to undermine these circumstances, but I think that an individual should not only mention these circumstances but show other acts that demonstrate initiative.
 
How have you tested your interest in medicine? Have you shadowed, volunteering with patients, worked in a health care setting with patients? Do you have any experience that could be told as a story illustrating why, after careful consideration as an adult, your childhood dream of becoming a physician is the right decision for grown-up you?

An interaction with a memorable patient can be a story that illustrates why you have committed yourself to this path. You can tell the story without violating the patient's privacy.
 
I have a similar question. I had a close loved one die of a stroke when I was a teenager and seeing the doctors help her and extend her life and try to save her really woke something up in me. This was several years ago now and I was too depressed for a long time but finally pulled/pulling myself out of it and am pursuing medicine. Is this something I should write about? I think I should not include the depression aspect however.
 
I have a similar question. I had a close loved one die of a stroke when I was a teenager and seeing the doctors help her and extend her life and try to save her really woke something up in me. This was several years ago now and I was too depressed for a long time but finally pulled/pulling myself out of it and am pursuing medicine. Is this something I should write about? I think I should not include the depression aspect however.

Once again, it is fine. But I recommend not only just mentioning it, but talk about what you have personally DONE. Maybe you worked in a stroke lab, etc. A lot of people have stories like this. You need to make yourself unique.
 
I also didn't have a "dramatic" story for my PS. Just did what Moko touched on which is tie in why my interest/motivation/passion was influenced by my experiences. To me, without experiences like this to base your PS on then you're PS is just gonna read "cuz I really wannaaaa"

Current applicant so idk if my PS will be effective or not yet but I've received positive feedback so far.

EDIT: and by experiences I mean meaningful EC experiences. Your personal experiences can tie in as well but you should have done something that is significant to tie into it all.
 
People might get flowery with their word choice, but I would like to think that most of my peers are not grossly exaggerating the content.

Hahaha medicine is full of embellishers if not outright liars. Here's a fun one; first a little background for context: I was a fairly competitive track athlete at a div 1 college and continued for a few years as a post-collegiate. Not good enough to say compete at the Olympic Trials, but "fast enough to realize what fast really means" as I used to say.

Greatest thing about the internet age is the ability to verify race times in like two seconds. Last night was talking to my SO who graduated med school a while ago. She mentioned one of her classmates ran several major marathons "in the 2:somethings." Since I was still running competitively back in those days, I thought it was weird that I didn't know his name (not trying to sound arrogant, but competitive runners in small cities tend to know each other because you see each other at races again and again).

Queue a deeper dive. Looked up his FB/Instagram posts about the races to verify dates, looked him up in the results - and voila - nothing. Then searched similar names - nothing. Then race photos - nothing. So 99.9% chance this dude is completely full of s**t. He's at one of the top residency programs in the country right now. Better yet, he "ran" his first marathon 100days removed from "beating cancer." Now I gotta ask, did he lie about that too?

I know another girl who got into med school while 1) lying about running for a division 1 program, and 2) lying about running for a professional team. Both verified within seconds of a google search. She's an MS3 now. I know, I know, who cares about gatekeeping a sport no one cares about, but my point isn't about running, it's the fact that these people blatantly lie, not just embellish, but lie - and yet still move through the system without being questioned. Think about that overcoming adversity story: "Beats cancer then runs 26.2miles at 6:30 per mile pace just three months later." People believe what they want to believe, adcoms included. Take this information for what you will, the majority of us are pretty boring.
 
Hahaha medicine is full of embellishers if not outright liars. Here's a fun one; first a little background for context: I was a fairly competitive track athlete at a div 1 college and continued for a few years as a post-collegiate. Not good enough to say compete at the Olympic Trials, but "fast enough to realize what fast really means" as I used to say.

Greatest thing about the internet age is the ability to verify race times in like two seconds. Last night was talking to my SO who graduated med school a while ago. She mentioned one of her classmates ran several major marathons "in the 2:somethings." Since I was still running competitively back in those days, I thought it was weird that I didn't know his name (not trying to sound arrogant, but competitive runners in small cities tend to know each other because you see each other at races again and again).

Queue a deeper dive. Looked up his FB/Instagram posts about the races to verify dates, looked him up in the results - and voila - nothing. Then searched similar names - nothing. Then race photos - nothing. So 99.9% chance this dude is completely full of s**t. He's at one of the top residency programs in the country right now. Better yet, he "ran" his first marathon 100days removed from "beating cancer." Now I gotta ask, did he lie about that too?

I know another girl who got into med school while 1) lying about running for a division 1 program, and 2) lying about running for a professional team. Both verified within seconds of a google search. She's an MS3 now. I know, I know, who cares about gatekeeping a sport no one cares about, but my point isn't about running, it's the fact that these people blatantly lie, not just embellish, but lie - and yet still move through the system without being questioned. Think about that overcoming adversity story: "Beats cancer then runs 26.2miles at 6:30 per mile pace just three months later." People believe what they want to believe, adcoms included. Take this information for what you will, the majority of us are pretty boring.
Your anecdotes are disturbing, but in no way prove that "medicine is full of outright liars." I would think that the vast majority of people do not stoop to such dishonesty and those who do eventually get caught.
 
Correct, "full of" is extreme. I'll also point out that there are equally impressive stories from people who didn't embellish at all. Some great athletes in medicine who are 100% legit, including one of my former teammates.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hahaha medicine is full of embellishers if not outright liars. Here's a fun one; first a little background for context: I was a fairly competitive track athlete at a div 1 college and continued for a few years as a post-collegiate. Not good enough to say compete at the Olympic Trials, but "fast enough to realize what fast really means" as I used to say.

Greatest thing about the internet age is the ability to verify race times in like two seconds. Last night was talking to my SO who graduated med school a while ago. She mentioned one of her classmates ran several major marathons "in the 2:somethings." Since I was still running competitively back in those days, I thought it was weird that I didn't know his name (not trying to sound arrogant, but competitive runners in small cities tend to know each other because you see each other at races again and again).

Queue a deeper dive. Looked up his FB/Instagram posts about the races to verify dates, looked him up in the results - and voila - nothing. Then searched similar names - nothing. Then race photos - nothing. So 99.9% chance this dude is completely full of s**t. He's at one of the top residency programs in the country right now. Better yet, he "ran" his first marathon 100days removed from "beating cancer." Now I gotta ask, did he lie about that too?

I know another girl who got into med school while 1) lying about running for a division 1 program, and 2) lying about running for a professional team. Both verified within seconds of a google search. She's an MS3 now. I know, I know, who cares about gatekeeping a sport no one cares about, but my point isn't about running, it's the fact that these people blatantly lie, not just embellish, but lie - and yet still move through the system without being questioned. Think about that overcoming adversity story: "Beats cancer then runs 26.2miles at 6:30 per mile pace just three months later." People believe what they want to believe, adcoms included. Take this information for what you will, the majority of us are pretty boring.

Stories like this make my blood boil. I don't know how someone like this sleeps at night.
 
Hahaha medicine is full of embellishers if not outright liars. Here's a fun one; first a little background for context: I was a fairly competitive track athlete at a div 1 college and continued for a few years as a post-collegiate. Not good enough to say compete at the Olympic Trials, but "fast enough to realize what fast really means" as I used to say.

Greatest thing about the internet age is the ability to verify race times in like two seconds. Last night was talking to my SO who graduated med school a while ago. She mentioned one of her classmates ran several major marathons "in the 2:somethings." Since I was still running competitively back in those days, I thought it was weird that I didn't know his name (not trying to sound arrogant, but competitive runners in small cities tend to know each other because you see each other at races again and again).

Queue a deeper dive. Looked up his FB/Instagram posts about the races to verify dates, looked him up in the results - and voila - nothing. Then searched similar names - nothing. Then race photos - nothing. So 99.9% chance this dude is completely full of s**t. He's at one of the top residency programs in the country right now. Better yet, he "ran" his first marathon 100days removed from "beating cancer." Now I gotta ask, did he lie about that too?

I know another girl who got into med school while 1) lying about running for a division 1 program, and 2) lying about running for a professional team. Both verified within seconds of a google search. She's an MS3 now. I know, I know, who cares about gatekeeping a sport no one cares about, but my point isn't about running, it's the fact that these people blatantly lie, not just embellish, but lie - and yet still move through the system without being questioned. Think about that overcoming adversity story: "Beats cancer then runs 26.2miles at 6:30 per mile pace just three months later." People believe what they want to believe, adcoms included. Take this information for what you will, the majority of us are pretty boring.
Couldn't agree more. I was volunteering in a cancer hospital during undergrad and two residents were talking about how crazy the "volunteering" has become in order to get an acceptance to medical school. They both laughed after one said "Well doesn't everyone lie about that **** anyways?".
 
No because in most cases dramatic stories are something that HAPPENED to you rather than something you ACHIEVED. Schools care more about what you accomplished rather than life circumstances. For instance, if someone had childhood diabetes that is something that happened to them and there are many personal statements out there like this (mom had abortion, dad had lupus, dog had AIDS). However, there are fewer personal statements about achievement (starting a national non-profit, leading a homeless clinic in your community), and I believe that is more indicative of a promising medical student.

A personal statement is not asking "why are you so great?" A personal statement wants to know who you are, why you want to be a doctor, and what you'll bring to the table. The point is not "I started a national non-profit." The point is WHY you started the non-profit. What was the inspiration and motivation. Why not just be a regular college student? Why did you spend hours upon hours doing things for others. That's the point and that's where life story plays a role.

OP, when I was young and naive, I also used to think a lot of dramatic stories are exaggerated. Believe me, when you become a med student and especially a doctor and people trust you with their life stories, you'll see how much "drama" there is out there. People sometimes come from extraordinarily heartbreaking circumstances without any exaggeration. Some of them grow up to be doctors.
 
Did not have a dramatic story. I talked about:
  1. What made me start thinking about being a physician; I dissected a fetal pig in HS and thought surgery was cool
  2. Volunteering, shadowing, other ECs; Exposed me to a slice-of-life of what being physician could be & reaffirmed my desire to pursue medicine. Other ECs made me realize that I enjoyed the 1-on-1 interactions with individuals
  3. Lot of reflections in 1 & 2; talked mostly about how my experiences impacted me and further motivated me along this arduous path
If anything, the experiences I talked about were something that every pre-med experiences. My experiences were extremely average and common. What made them unique, was my feelings and reflections towards those experiences. I focused primarily on the factors that led me towards medicine, and talked in-depth about my cognition/emotions from activities that reaffirmed my desire to pursue medicine.

Disclaimer: Im only a current applicant. Just echoing PS advice I have received on SDN and my peers.
 
Hahaha medicine is full of embellishers if not outright liars. <snip>

Greatest thing about the internet age is the ability to verify race times in like two seconds. <snip>

If I'm going to interview someone who lists college athletics on their application, I always check their school's athletics pages to see how many games, how many minutes, etc. Some people get 2 minutes of playing time in a year... I think that some of them are just there to improve the average GPA and graduation rate for the athletics department. It gives me some context when we talk about athletics.

I've nabbed a few embellishers over the years. They might matriculate somewhere but it won't be at my school if I can help it.
 
Stories like this make my blood boil. I don't know how someone like this sleeps at night.
They likely sleep comfortably as they are now receiving a physician's salary 🙁
I've nabbed a few embellishers over the years. They might matriculate somewhere but it won't be at my school if I can help it.
If an embellisher is caught in the act, is there a process for reporting to AMCAS or anything like that so the student is flagged everywhere they applied?