no extracurriculars

Started by pseud0
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pseud0

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My advisor is telling me shes worried about my residency application because of lack of extra-curricular involvement in medical school. I'm applying this cycle to family medicine with decent board scores (high 220s step 1, 242 step 2 ck) but literally didn't participate outside of dealing with the grind of passing everything and home issues. I have no failed courses, leave of abscences, etc. I just didn't do any volunteering, student associations, research, and the like. Got all passes third year, unfortunately. I'm DO. Is this an overreaction on her part or should I actually be worried.
 
For family medicine as opposed to other specialities I do think your interests and "fit" are looked at pretty closely in my experience. It's likely ok that you didn't participate in any structured activities through school, but hopefully you can talk about interests you have, any specifics within family medicine you enjoy, life experiences, etc.