No residency now for IMGs????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How come this was allowed this to happen? The floodgates might have just opened.

Members don't see this ad.

How come this was allowed this to happen? The floodgates might have just opened.

They still have to work for a Tennessee hospital with an ACGME residency program for 2 years before they can be granted an unrestricted license. HCA must be beside themselves with glee - all this cheap foreign labor!

Also, unrestricted license does not = board certified, which is becoming increasingly required (not just recommended) for many clinics.

Reactions: 3 users
They still have to work for a Tennessee hospital with an ACGME residency program for 2 years before they can be granted an unrestricted license. HCA must be beside themselves with glee - all this cheap foreign labor!

Also, unrestricted license does not = board certified, which is becoming increasingly required (not just recommended) for many clinics.

This.

For my specialty (radiology) this will have zero effect on the labor market because board eligible/certified is pretty much standard for most jobs and this doesn't affect that.

Reactions: 1 user
This.

For my specialty (radiology) this will have zero effect on the labor market because board eligible/certified is pretty much standard for most jobs and this doesn't affect that.
What if the board just changes this requirement to include those who are licensed through this program. Everybody through it was a given that licensure requires residency. So why assume it’s a given that board certification will require residency in the future

What if the board just changes this requirement to include those who are licensed through this program. Everybody through it was a given that licensure requires residency. So why assume it’s a given that board certification will require residency in the future

I guess that's a slippery slope argument that could be made. But it doesn't make a lot of sense. It would fundamentally undermine the point of the specialty boards. Per the ABMS, traits that a specialty board must have include "solely offer a single standard of preparation for and evaluation of expertise" and "offer distinct training to meet certification requirements". Seems pretty obvious to say if [whatever board] is not overseeing a person's training paradigm then they shouldn't offer the person a board certificate.

On a more practical basis, just within the American Board of Medical Specialties there are 24 member boards. Each member board sets their own requirements. Doubt 24 member boards would vote collectively on something like that.

There are states that specifically state that BC cannot be required for licensing or hospital privileges… so m/l in those states, insurance can’t require it either. I know Oklahoma and Massachusetts are 2 states that have this in place.

I was working in urgent care with my unrestricted FL medical license with nothing but an internship under my belt

Last edited:
I was working on urgent care with my FL unrestricted FL medical license with nothing but an internship under my belt
Yes but at least there used to be somewhat of a bottleneck in being able to get an internship