No interview invites almost two months after submitting secondaries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ENewland98

Reaction score
Hi there,
I submitted most of my 10 MD secondaries throughout the second and third weeks of August. I recently heard back from one school saying that I had been placed on an interview hold, but that’s it so far. I haven’t gotten a single interview invite from an MD school yet. October’s approaching and it’s going on two months since I submitted most of my secondaries. I’m really getting nervous. Did any past applicants wait this long or longer before receiving interview invites? How should I process what’s going on? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
I submitted most of my 10 MD secondaries throughout the second and third weeks of August. I recently heard back from one school saying that I had been placed on an interview hold, but that’s it so far. I haven’t gotten a single interview invite from an MD school yet. October’s approaching and it’s going on two months since I submitted most of my secondaries. I’m really getting nervous. Did any past applicants wait this long or longer before receiving interview invites? How should I process what’s going on? Thanks in advance.
It’s been a month since the middle of August when you submitted your secondaries. You can receive an interview anytime between now and around February. There are existing threads where other applicants have also not heard anything and submitted in July. Applying to 10 schools likely limited your chances, especially if you did not look at your application carefully to see how competitive you are and which schools you would be a good fit at.

Reactions: 1 user
Same for me. I have been told by many not to worry now, but to worry a lot of I have none by the end of the semester

Members don't see this ad :)
Once again, I will say that my "Thanksgiving Rule" is that you should not worry about not having interviews until the day after Thanksgiving (aka "Black Friday"). While you should always be working on improving your application, the time it takes to review applications and the choice medical schools make not to issue invitations for dates that are months in the future (i.e. issue invitations now for dates in January) means that you may wait a long time although you'll eventually get interviews. I've seen this year after year since 2005.

Reactions: 6 users
Not to worry. Most schools are still interviewing applicants and there's still lots of time to hear back.

Focus on the no R's. Also if you're open to other schools, you can still squeeze in a few in the next couple weeks. Only 10 is pretty aggressive, there's a large random component of this process regardless of stats.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi OP. Many people do not receive their first II until October/November. Medical schools have thousands of applications to go through (more every year) and since you submitted in mid-late August you're likely still in line to even be reviewed at many places. Keep your head up!

Hi there,
Hello! From my experience last year, I submitted secondaries the last week of August, and heard back for interviews in Mid October and Early November. I have friends at my school who submitted in July and didn’t get interviewed until November/December, it really depends on the school and how strong of an application you have for the schools you applied to.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
No Interviews November 1st week. LM 75. high EC;s. ORM. I am worried. Not even from state schools. What should I do?. Do I apply to DO schools?.

Hi there,
You might get an interview tomorrow, or in March.

In the mean time, work on improving your app.

Reactions: 2 users