No interviews yet....anyone in the same boat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since you have decided to do a PhD and then go for an MD, I recommend that you read both these threads (if you haven't already).

PhDs-to-MDs and MSes-to-MDs

Becoming a Physician Scientist: PhD-to-MD Student Experiences

I think I've read those before. Either way, thanks for pulling them up for me.

I'll pm you later, as I don't want to hijack what has thus far been a very amusing thread.

Members don't see this ad.

People have been making me feel like I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread since I was really young. My story was almost on Good Morning America but some other 13 year old girl applying MD/PhD was picked. Sigh...

People have been making me feel like I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread since I was really young. My story was almost on Good Morning America but some other 13 year old girl applying MD/PhD was picked. Sigh...

Props to her- I sure couldn't have done med school alone when I was 13. I'm not sure I can do it now at 16. Sorry you got bumped though!

Members don't see this ad :)
My applications were completed in mid-December, and I finally got my first interview invitation. It's nice to know that they're still inviting people.

My applications were completed in mid-December, and I finally got my first interview invitation. It's nice to know that they're still inviting people.

damn that's usually super late, but good luck!

Finally got one (at my top choice, no less)! There's still hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, what are people planning on doing if they don't get in (besides reapplying).

I have summer plans, but I can't imagine going back into research for a year if I don't get in.

Out of curiosity, what are people planning on doing if they don't get in (besides reapplying).

I have summer plans, but I can't imagine going back into research for a year if I don't get in.

I'm just going to continue working full time and take a break from my multitude of other responsibilities. You can only sprint for so long, you know? Working full time, going to school, serving on a student org board, serving as a VP for an honor society, performing molecular research, and holding two clinical volunteer positions burned me the **** out. But I genuinely believe that those are the only things that got me my one interview and tenuous spot on the WL. I tried so darn hard to get in this year and was wrecked by the MCAT. It's so sad that 13/14 schools paid no attention to my extenuating circumstances: stat ******.

Anyway, my situation is non-traditional. For those in traditional scenarios, I'd recommend pursuing research and volunteer gigs in the coming year.

This is my first cycle applying and I'm already a year and half into research and I know what you mean... I wouldn't be able to do it for another year. I love research (getting results!) but my project has been pretty inconclusive and it really isn't going anywhere. My PI is too busy with residency to have much input. AND it doesn't pay enough.

I would consider teaching during my time off. It has a set schedule which doesn't demand 60 hours a week so I can volunteer with kids and at a clinic.I would also consider something like a medical assistant or health-related marketing?

This is my first cycle applying and I'm already a year and half into research and I know what you mean... I wouldn't be able to do it for another year. I love research (getting results!) but my project has been pretty inconclusive and it really isn't going anywhere. My PI is too busy with residency to have much input. AND it doesn't pay enough.

I'm in a similar position with my lab which sucks. I agree that I like research, I just want a new lab! Unfortunately unless you're a student it's hard to just choose labs :(

I would consider teaching during my time off. It has a set schedule which doesn't demand 60 hours a week so I can volunteer with kids and at a clinic.I would also consider something like a medical assistant or health-related marketing?

These sound like good ideas! I've really struggled to find volunteer positions that work with my lab schedule (5:30 am pre-op check in was the only thing I found and that was terrible! lol)

I've really struggled to find volunteer positions that work with my lab schedule (5:30 am pre-op check in was the only thing I found and that was terrible! lol)

My schedule used to be all over the place.. sometimes go in at 8, eat lunch at 3, leave at 6, just to go back in at 9PM... and not to mention weekends! Now that we relocated... I have so much free time. Hello SDN!

5:30 pre-op check in?! :eek: talk about dedication!
I looked at your profile and honestly, I'm surprised you didn't get more IIs. Wish you luck with Colorado or the bioethics program at Yale! :xf:
edit: and of course, more interviews!

My schedule used to be all over the place.. sometimes go in at 8, eat lunch at 3, leave at 6, just to go back in at 9PM... and not to mention weekends!

This sounds about right. My schedule for the last couple weeks has been 9am-10pm fun stuff! lol

Good luck to you too!

I would take some UG classes to boost my GPA. I'm just really hoping it doesn't come to that because I can't afford to go through this process all over again. I've had two interviews that I'm waiting to hear back from. I know this thread is for folks with no interviews, but I really identify with some of you guys cause this application season has been such a long shot for me. Best wishes to everyone here :)

I would take some UG classes to boost my GPA. I'm just really hoping it doesn't come to that because I can't afford to go through this process all over again. I've had two interviews that I'm waiting to hear back from. I know this thread is for folks with no interviews, but I really identify with some of you guys cause this application season has been such a long shot for me. Best wishes to everyone here :)

+1

Just because someone following this thread gets an interview or two doesn't mean that s/he is guaranteed a spot. With one interview and miraculous notice of a second without a date, I still feel as though my chances are still next to none. With my MCAT, I’d be willing to bet against myself, hands-down.

I'm very curious as to how many people are still following this discussion with no interviews with particular interest in the makeup of their stats/EC composition. It seems as though we have some rock stars with high MCATs & GPAs out there that didn't get an interview. Perhaps this is an unusually more competitive year than years' past? Whatever, in the end, we all know it's a freakin' crap shoot. So don't beat yourself up if you don't get in this year, myself included. Next year is better than no year, even if you have to take out loans to apply and interview—right?

Good luck everyone.

You're going to get in.

As a teacher, just FYI, don't teach unless you want to put your app off at least another 2 years. Don't believe the hype, it's a 60-80 hour work week. (8-5pm, plus lesson planning or grading from 9-11pm or 4-6am (depending on if you're a morning or night person) Plus the constant weekend work.

If you're looking for something less time-intensive, I'd recommend Kaplan SAT tutoring or a similar tutoring position? (I'm trying to find something like that this summer). I understand if you meet their stats they'll pay you alright for 15-30 hrs a week.

MCAT re-take in April, re-write personal statement, apply June 1st on my credit card that I have alllllmost paid off after 2 years of diligent saving. SIGH.

Gear myself up for teaching a 4th year. So tired already just contemplating teaching another year:sleep:

Last edited:
As a teacher, just FYI, don't teach unless you want to put your app off at least another 2 years. Don't believe the hype, it's a 60-80 hour work week. (8-5pm, plus lesson planning or grading from 9-11pm or 4-6am (depending on if you're a morning or night person) Plus the constant weekend work.

If you're looking for something less time-intensive, I'd recommend Kaplan SAT tutoring or a similar tutoring position? (I'm trying to find something like that this summer). I understand if you meet their stats they'll pay you alright for 15-30 hrs a week.

those are crazy teaching hours! No prep periods?! I was thinking more in terms of what I used to do, which is more like tutoring a small class and private tutor on the weekends. That would only put me at about 25-30 hrs/week, but certainly pays better than research. and being around kids makes me so happy. I'm not sure I would be saying that teaching a group of monsters in a public school though

those are crazy teaching hours! No prep periods?! I was thinking more in terms of what I used to do, which is more like tutoring a small class and private tutor on the weekends. That would only put me at about 25-30 hrs/week, but certainly pays better than research. and being around kids makes me so happy. I'm not sure I would be saying that teaching a group of monsters in a public school though

That sounds lovely! I hope that happens for you!!!

We do have a 90 minute prep period, but it's usually filled with special education meetings, department meetings, course cluster meetings, or time spent calling parents or grading. 100% of lesson planning for me is done outside of school hours when I'm not getting paid. I never realized teachers worked so hard until I became one! Makes me wish I had more respect for my teachers when I was in school. :rolleyes:

Also: where is BrandNewDay??? I'm rooting for her. Come back, girl!

Oyyy, more rejections this week. I've gotten used to it ...

When is it possible to call schools and ask for opinions and suggestions for making an application better for subsequent years?

This year isn't looking good for me and I'm debating between applying again in the next cycle (for c/o 2017) or the one afterward (c/o 2018). I already graduated, my GPA was 3.88 and I had a 32Q (which expires this cycle). I had ECs I stuck with in college, volunteering, shadowing, and some research (although not a ton). If it turns out that my MCAT is holding me back, I've begun studying and would take it in time for the next cycle, but if it's something else that'll require a year to fix, I'd rather take a little bit of time with the MCAT. I've called a couple schools but they say to call after May, which is kind of late...

When is it possible to call schools and ask for opinions and suggestions for making an application better for subsequent years?

This year isn't looking good for me and I'm debating between applying again in the next cycle (for c/o 2017) or the one afterward (c/o 2018). I already graduated, my GPA was 3.88 and I had a 32Q (which expires this cycle). I had ECs I stuck with in college, volunteering, shadowing, and some research (although not a ton). If it turns out that my MCAT is holding me back, I've begun studying and would take it in time for the next cycle, but if it's something else that'll require a year to fix, I'd rather take a little bit of time with the MCAT. I've called a couple schools but they say to call after May, which is kind of late...

DAAAANG, your GPA is fly.

I was planning to re-take the MCAT (33 ( expired) and 31 (with an 8 eep) until one of my interviewers mentioned that once you meet the school's cut off point for score, they don't really care about your MCAT score. This was so opposed to everything I have heard about the MCAT that I sort of went :eek: :eek: :eek:. I feel like this can't be the "norm" at most schools, but I don't know what to think anymore. :confused:

I guess it depends on what schools you applied to, but I think it's unlikely that your numbers are the problem. I've been thinking about whether I'll try to reapply this cycle or wait a year if I don't get an acceptance this year and it's a hard decision! Do you have a premed advisor that could help you look for possible areas of weakness on your application? If you do, you could work on those things in the meantime and then talk to schools in May when you are finishing up to make sure you are on track. If they saw a problem that you haven't addressed, you could decide whether to wait.

Good luck!

my friend had a 28 mcat, and he still got into an md school, so it's not ur mcat

I'm in a pretty similar situation. Not sure if it's worth spending a couple grand to reapply next year and get nothing back or wait another year. Very frustrating.

For all my friends that I waited with in this grueling process, my sub-30 MCAT and I got our first MD interview invite last month and got accepted today. Don't give up hope. God is good.

For all my friends that I waited with in this grueling process, my sub-30 MCAT and I got our first MD interview invite last month and got accepted today. Don't give up hope. God is good.

CONGRATS!!!! I've been lurking around here for a while, commenting occasionally. It's great to see some success stories come out of this thread.

CONGRATS!!!! I've been lurking around here for a while, commenting occasionally. It's great to see some success stories come out of this thread.

Just gotta believe. I submitted my AMCAS on 6/1 and didn't get my first MD interview until early February. Good things come to those who wait, I'm living proof!

One of the happiest moments of my life!

Just gotta believe. I submitted my AMCAS on 6/1 and didn't get my first MD interview until early February. Good things come to those who wait, I'm living proof!

Congrats! Way to pull this one out in true Tebow form!

Enjoy it, and good luck next year.

SDN is full of all kinds of overblown hype. Medical school admissions is a difficult to predict crapshoot. It's not just a numbers game much to many people's dismay.

I guess it depends on what schools you applied to, but I think it's unlikely that your numbers are the problem. I've been thinking about whether I'll try to reapply this cycle or wait a year if I don't get an acceptance this year and it's a hard decision! Do you have a premed advisor that could help you look for possible areas of weakness on your application? If you do, you could work on those things in the meantime and then talk to schools in May when you are finishing up to make sure you are on track. If they saw a problem that you haven't addressed, you could decide whether to wait.

Good luck!

My advisors are as baffled as I am at my situation. A couple told me to work on MCAT, because (1) it's expiring and (2) I'm part of a demographic that tends to have very high numbers and I'm competing with those very high numbers for admissions.

My advisors are as baffled as I am at my situation. A couple told me to work on MCAT, because (1) it's expiring and (2) I'm part of a demographic that tends to have very high numbers and I'm competing with those very high numbers for admissions.

your parents probably want you to be doctors so your motivations aren't pure enough. there are too many asians in medicine anyway. other people lack the resources that you have had. Man up, get better stats and apply hard. Simple as that. If you want life on a platter, go play the lotto and hope for the best.

your parents probably want you to be doctors so your motivations aren't pure enough. there are too many asians in medicine anyway. other people lack the resources that you have had. Man up, get better stats and apply hard. Simple as that. If you want life on a platter, go play the lotto and hope for the best.

:thumbdown: Please leave. This thread is meant to be supportive. Thanks.

Since you have to take the MCAT anyways, study like mad, and kill it.

Congrats, dude! :cool: God is good!

Which school, if you don't mind me asking?

Congrats! :soexcited:Was it UF or FSU?!

For one, my parents tried to steer me away from medicine at first. Now they're cool with it. Also, you know nothing about my personal situation. Don't make assumptions - if I wanted life on a platter, I wouldn't spend 4 years as a pre-med and then spend night & day trying to spend 4 years in medical school followed by years of residency training.

Since you have to take the MCAT anyways, study like mad, and kill it.

That's the plan!

Last edited:
This is clearly a joke synthesizing all the "man up" suggestions from the "Are Asian Indians at a disadvantage?" thread.